• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Whine, whine, whine

Started by StlVUFan, February 15, 2012, 02:04:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackpantheruwm

I am seriously considering doing a contest on PantherU.com this summer where contestants send in photos of themselves in their best "Gary Face."

vuweathernerd

Quote from: StlVUFan on February 15, 2012, 02:04:41 AM
http://www.cleveland.com/sports/csu/index.ssf/2012/02/cleveland_states_comeback_fail.html

Waters can whine with the best of them, can't he?

he sure can. for starters, there was a foul discrepancy because of the way csu plays. there's a reason your opponents go to the line so much more frequently than you do, coach! pay some attention! secondly, that call at the end of the game was a foul. mason did not go straight up, as waters said, and there was contact. sure, sometimes that call doesn't get made. but a foul's a foul. and if you see it, you call it, and that's what happened.

makes me wonder what he would do if there was an officiating crew that called every single little chop, bump, and illegal screen that they committed, just for a couple games, to see how bad the foul discrepancies would be.

valporun

Quote from: vuweathernerd on February 15, 2012, 08:08:40 AMmakes me wonder what he would do if there was an officiating crew that called every single little chop, bump, and illegal screen that they committed, just for a couple games, to see how bad the foul discrepancies would be.

If an officiating crew did this, CSU would be conducting postgame pressers at halftime because they would have had to forfeit due to everyone having fouled out. At worse, they'd be starting the second half with a walk-on getting 20 minutes of action.

valpotx

What a joke.  I always find it laughable when someone says what he did about not calling that last foul because it can be resolved in OT.  The kid could have made the shot if he wasn't fouled, you never know.  Should we make every foul not count over the last 10 seconds of games??  What a moron, definitely reminds me of Ron Hunter and his whining that we always got preference in the Mid-Con and NCAA world.
"Don't mess with Texas"

FWalum

Meier is a legitimate 3 point shooter.  He is on a little bit of a tear hitting 52% of his three point attempts in the last 5 games.  He obviously got hit on the arm during an in rhythm attempt from only about a foot behind the arc. How the reporter in the above article could call that shot a desperation 3-point heave is beyond me. If this had been a wild attempt from 26 feet he may not have gotten the call, but this was not the case.  If the referee had not called the foul it would have stuck out like a sore thumb in any evaluation. Good call by the official. Time on the clock should not dictate how fouls are called.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valporun

Quote from: FWalum on February 15, 2012, 12:17:43 PMHow the reporter in the above article could call that shot a desperation 3-point heave is beyond me.

I'm guessing he stated this because the Vikings were defending for overtime because of the momentum they had after coming back from 16 down. I agree that a shot from about 20 feet with almost 2 seconds on the clock isn't desperation. A classic overreaction by a hometown writer.

StlVUFan

Quote from: FWalum on February 15, 2012, 12:17:43 PM
Meier is a legitimate 3 point shooter.  He is on a little bit of a tear hitting 52% of his three point attempts in the last 5 games.  He obviously got hit on the arm during an in rhythm attempt from only about a foot behind the arc. How the reporter in the above article could call that shot a desperation 3-point heave is beyond me. If this had been a wild attempt from 26 feet he may not have gotten the call, but this was not the case.  If the referee had not called the foul it would have stuck out like a sore thumb in any evaluation. Good call by the official. Time on the clock should not dictate how fouls are called.
:thumbsup:

covufan

I hope the CSU team takes on the attitude of the coach (whine, whine, whine), so that we don't have to face them in the HL finals!

StlVUFan

Quote from: covufan on February 15, 2012, 04:22:48 PM
I hope the CSU team takes on the attitude of the coach (whine, whine, whine), so that we don't have to face them in the HL finals!

It sure looked like Pogue has, for one.  He visibly sulked when called for traveling in the paint in the 2nd half.

Then again, when we're talking about players, who doesn't sulk every now and then?