• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #2 - @ Sacred Heart

Started by VULB#62, September 07, 2016, 05:14:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

I have been away for the last two weeks and didn't have a chance to do my usual weekly game string for the ISU game.  But, upon returning, it was bitter sweet to see us go down 50-13 to the Redbirds, but also to see that Kellen Hughes (DPOW) and Jake Simpson (STPOW) were both recognized by the PFL as players of the week in the loss.  http://www.pioneer-football.org/news/archives/2016/1176/pfl-players-of-the-week-week-1/   Considering we were up against the #8 FCS team in the country, a 37 point loss has have some good points to build on.  Considering what happened at Alabama v. USC (52-6 -- Sorry, USC4Valpo  :() where both teams were "technically" playing on a "level playing field" -- neutral venue, both fully scholarshipped and both supported by affluent alumni -- we didn't do too bad.  But that's water under the bridge.

It's on to Sacred Heart this Saturday.  As mentioned by others in the "predictions" string, SHU squeaked by Stetson @ Stetson.  Don't underestimate the heavy humidity of a late Florida summer night in affecting that score to some degree. 

Here is the SHU account of their win:
DeLAND, Fla. – The Sacred Heart football team scored 12 unanswered points in the second half to defeat the Stetson Hatters 18-14 in the season opener Saturday night at Spec Martin Memorial Stadium. [ED NOTE: The first PAT was blocked; they then tried two 2-pt conversions that failed.]

The Pioneers outgained Stetson 399-295, rushing for 227 yards. SHU's defense held the Hatters to 35 yards in the second half and 5-of-16 on third down for the game. Senior linebacker Kevin Barry had a career-high 13 tackles, including three tackles for loss and a key forced fumble in the fourth quarter. Ose Imeokparia rushed for 112 yards and the go-ahead touchdown on the first play of the fourth quarter. RJ Noel was 16-for-34 passing for 172 yards and two touchdowns.

Trailing 14-6 at halftime, SHU (1-0) closed to within two with 1:20 to play in the third quarter. On 3rd-and-goal from the Stetson 17-yardline, Noel found Andrew O'Neill in the endzone to make the score 14-12. However, the two-point conversion attempt was unsuccessful. After forcing Stetson (0-1) to punt, the Pioneers started the fourth quarter with the ball at their own 20 yardline. On the first play of the drive, Imeokparia ran to the right and past the Hatters defense to go 80 yards for the go-ahead touchdown. With the score 18-14, Sacred Heart once again went for two but was stopped. The SHU defense forced three three-and-outs in the fourth quarter to make the lead hold up for the win.

If our experience last year with these guys is any indicator, they will play VERY physical, up to the point of questionable hits after the whistle.  We have to play with composure and do a good job of protecting whoever the starting QB will be.  The "D" has to come up with another good effort. We are better than what we showed against SHU last year -- I hope the veteran players still have a foul taste in their mouths about that game.

Dojan123

Have a business trip near by in NYC. I am going to stay an extra day to catch the game. This will be my first game seeing Valpo in person. Looking forward to it.

VULB#62

Quote from: VULB#62 on September 07, 2016, 05:14:45 PM
Considering we were up against the #8 FCS team in the country, a 37 point loss has have some good points to build on.  Considering what happened at Alabama v. USC (52-6 -- Sorry, USC4Valpo  :() where both teams were "technically" playing on a "level playing field" -- neutral venue, both fully scholarshipped and both supported by affluent alumni -- we didn't do too bad.  But that's water under the bridge.

Might also mention that on D versus ISU we were without Tristan De La Rosa -- arguably our best DL, who has bulked up to 295#. Also notable by absence was Kye Hall -- a starter last year.  He is also absent from the SHU two-deep this week.

VU2624

Quote from: VULB#62 on September 07, 2016, 06:26:26 PM
Quote from: VULB#62 on September 07, 2016, 05:14:45 PMConsidering we were up against the #8 FCS team in the country, a 37 point loss has have some good points to build on.  Considering what happened at Alabama v. USC (52-6 -- Sorry, USC4Valpo  :() where both teams were "technically" playing on a "level playing field" -- neutral venue, both fully scholarshipped and both supported by affluent alumni -- we didn't do too bad.  But that's water under the bridge.
Might also mention that on D versus ISU we were without Tristan De La Rosa -- arguably our best DL, who has bulked up to 295#. Also notable by absence was Kye Hall -- a starter last year.  He is also absent from the SHU two-deep this week.

I don't think Nick Turner played last week and he's been a starter in the past. The two deep is always a bit untelling and he's on there but as a 2 on the two deep. Good to see Nunes on it. Catrine is not on it and I have no idea why you would play him until Davidson at this point.

Need more from the trenches to let the backs get going and the QBs to settle down.

VULB#62

Quote from: VU2624 on September 07, 2016, 07:36:28 PM
Quote from: VULB#62 on September 07, 2016, 05:14:45 PMConsidering we were up against the #8 FCS team in the country, a 37 point loss has have some good points to build on.  Considering what happened at Alabama v. USC (52-6 -- Sorry, USC4Valpo  :() where both teams were "technically" playing on a "level playing field" -- neutral venue, both fully scholarshipped and both supported by affluent alumni -- we didn't do too bad.  But that's water under the bridge.

I don't think Nick Turner played last week and he's been a starter in the past. The two deep is always a bit untelling and he's on there but as a 2 on the two deep. Good to see Nunes on it. Catrine is not on it and I have no idea why you would play him until Davidson at this point.

Need more from the trenches to let the backs get going and the QBs to settle down.

That!

usc4valpo

SHU 41, Valpo 7.

62 - USC is not ready for elite primetime. They still lack depth resulting from the sanctioning where the punishment did not fit the crime. Alabama's defense like usual was fantastic, and USC on offense for several 3 caused the defense to be out on the field for extended periods. Unlike many teams, I do applaud USC for facing a very difficult schedule this season.

I will say this about college football. With the 4 team playoff, some teams are taking more risk in scheduling challenging opponents early, which is a good thing. I would rather see teams learn by facing elite competition than face ham-and-eggers and get an artificial warm fuzzy.

vu72

Quote from: VULB#62 on September 07, 2016, 05:14:45 PM
Considering we were up against the #8 FCS team in the country, a 37 point loss has have some good points to build on.  Considering what happened at Alabama v. USC (52-6 -- Sorry, USC4Valpo  :() where both teams were "technically" playing on a "level playing field" -- neutral venue, both fully scholarshipped and both supported by affluent alumni -- we didn't do too bad.  But that's water under the bridge.

I do remember something about a few suspensions for the first game.  Was this the case with these two?  Were other also not playing?  The line is Valpo -31.  I'll take Valpo and the points!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

2624 might have more info but I thought De La Rosa was an injury scratch.

VU2624

Quote from: VULB#62 on September 08, 2016, 08:46:34 AM2624 might have more info but I thought De La Rosa was an injury scratch.

Brandon quoted Coach as De La Rosa being out with a knee injury (for last week).

usc4valpo

Ryan Clarke at QB and weak RBs are not giving me good vibes on the offensive side. I take SHU and give the points. I have a feeling the Mad Hatters are getting better in football. We need to see the same with the Saders.

VULB#62

Some mixed news going into the SHU game:

[tweet]773975248102383616[/tweet]
[tweet]773977061425905664[/tweet]
[tweet]773977250232500224[/tweet]
[tweet]773977437856231425[/tweet]
[tweet]773977784490352640[/tweet]
[tweet]773978443113459714[/tweet]

Tough losing Nunes.  Terrance Roberts (6-4,325) too.

GOVALPO!

Sorry to hear about JJ I think he was going to have a big season and Kye hall out  1 or 2  More games Still suspended    👎🤔

VULB#62

Quote from: GOVALPO! on September 08, 2016, 06:59:40 PM
  Sorry to hear about JJ I think he was going to have a big season and Kye hall out  1 or 2  More games Still suspended    👎🤔

Campus rule violation or team rules?

usc4valpo

Nunes is out which is a bummer. He and his father seem really cool - I met his dad at the Drake game last year.I hope JJ gets better as he has a wonderful future ahead.

footballgods

After watching the game from this past Sat, the QBs  that played are not athletic at all,no speed, I mean I can run faster then these guys. No offensive scoring what so ever, its like they where playing in Denver the mile high city. I  hope it is not a blow out. For Nunes , he is such a great kid  and sorry to hear him go down so early in the season.

Valpo89

Two players suffer season-ending injuries against a full-scholarship program in the season opener.

It's time to stop playing these ridiculous pay-day games. It doesn't do anyone any good, except the $80,000-plus to VU's budget. There has to be a better way.

Football's reputation is already suffering with the attention on concussions and CTE. If I had a kid playing football for VU, I wouldn't want him playing in the "sacrificial lamb" game to open the season.

IndyValpo

Quote from: Valpo89 on September 09, 2016, 10:32:12 AM
Two players suffer season-ending injuries against a full-scholarship program in the season opener.

It's time to stop playing these ridiculous pay-day games. It doesn't do anyone any good, except the $80,000-plus to VU's budget. There has to be a better way.

Football's reputation is already suffering with the attention on concussions and CTE. If I had a kid playing football for VU, I wouldn't want him playing in the "sacrificial lamb" game to open the season.

Completely agree, have for years. When we start being competitive at our level perhaps but not now. The Sacred Heart game killed our season last year.  Everyone needs to cross their fingers for Saturday.

footballgods

Cross your fingers no one gets hurt...

bbtds

Quote from: footballgods on September 09, 2016, 12:31:22 PM
Cross your fingers no one gets hurt...
Exactly!

Although it is time to beat teams like SHU instead of avoiding getting hurt. I agree with not playing the Illinois States until Valpo football gets better.

VULB#62

Next year it is more of the same:  Montana, a perennial FCS top 10.  After that I know we drop down a notch to the Ivy League with Dartmouth, but that is not until the 2021 (@ Dartmouth) and 2022 (Brown Field) seasons. We need to challenge ourselves, but it would be better if we could find a Patriot opponent (Lehigh?) or a second NEC team in addition to SHU or an Ivy to replace the MVFC and Big Sky teams. At least the NEC and Patriot teams, though offering FB scholarships, do not (as is my understanding) max out at the full 65 scholarships like the MVFC, Big Sky, or CAA, etc.

VULB#62

I went checking some Ivy FB schedules to see if Valpo was mentioned and noted that Columbia actually had a preseason scrimmage on this September 3rd against Cornell in Schenectady, NY on the campus of Union College.  What's with that?   :o   I thought D-I teams could not scrimmage against another school in preseason. 

footballgods

Have u guys been to any recent practice and seen how they look?

valpo64

What ever happened to the highly rated QB from Andrean HS?

VU2624

Quote from: footballgods on September 09, 2016, 09:48:01 AMAfter watching the game from this past Sat, the QBs  that played are not athletic at all,no speed, I mean I can run faster then these guys. No offensive scoring what so ever, its like they where playing in Denver the mile high city. I  hope it is not a blow out. For Nunes , he is such a great kid  and sorry to hear him go down so early in the season.

I  agree with some of this however we need to take into consideration that the OL was overpowered by players bigger and faster and really gave the QB no chance. He did make some mistakes of course and gets rattled too easily in my view but this was by no means a match at all. Sacred Heart's not going to be any picnic either.