• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Union Street Hoops

Started by Pgmado, October 31, 2016, 10:44:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pgmado

Not sure anything in here will make you feel better or worse, but at least it won't be Aaron Rodgers.

https://t.co/rBnKeXYVfE

JD24

I can't say it makes me feel better or worse but nice 'cast.

wh

Quote from: Pgmado on November 05, 2021, 03:45:01 PM
Not sure anything in here will make you feel better or worse, but at least it won't be Aaron Rodgers.

https://t.co/rBnKeXYVfE

Excellent! Picking up on a couple of Paul's comments:

I have long thought that beating a woefully inferior opponent in an exhibition game by 50 points is essentially useless. You're playing a talent level you're never going to face again during the regular season, using rotations you're never going to use again. No pressure. You don't have to crank up the energy or focus. Everything you do works. It's like theater actors doing a backstage walk-through, reading off their scripts.

In contrast, we just had 2 dress rehearsals before opening night. So what if Trevor got a little gassed. Better to get that out of his system now than against Toledo. So what if regular rotation guys had to play 32 minutes. That's what they're going to be doing for real on Tuesday. Preston performed, Darius and Joe didn't. Better to find out who's ready and who isn't now, rather than learn it the hard way on Tuesday. Surprisingly, Eron bricked every 3 he took. For whatever reason, he looked very uncomfortable most of the time he was on the court. Hopefully, he's gotten that out of his system and will come ready on Tuesday. This is all value-add, and like I said a windfall benefit for sure of playing 2 very good, extremely well coached, veteran D-2 powerhouses. (Yes, at their level, they are powerhouses.)

nkvu

Enjoyed the podcast. I think he captured my feelings pretty well. I'll judge the team on how they do when they get all their pieces playing together. Till then I think they will struggle to be competitive against any decent team.

One thing Paul did point out at length was that the teams we just played and the top teams in the MVC have all played together for years and our team hasn't. That's true. But whose fault is that?  Our best player left the program via transfer two years ago. There was a mass exodus of players last year. You could argue that in some cases the players who left were an addition by subtraction, and that some of the new guys have more talent. I won't argue that. Still, I don't like the trend. Either we are recruiting the wrong players or something about the program is causing the players to bail on it.  That's all on the coaching staff. It makes little sense to redshirt freshman if they just transfer after a year or two. I hope Valpo has addressed how to retain their best players or we will never compete with the top teams in our conference.

Chairback

Always great podcasts. Thank you again PO.  I can't imagine not having these to enjoy. We are lucky.   

To answer the question what do you want to see from these type games:

1) some sort of offensive flow.  It was said they have been practicing since June.  Even if we missed every shot I'd there was good movement I'd be somewhat happy.  This is not a new issue. 
2) in game adjustments from the coach.  Opponents will run the same play over on us and we are slow to figure it out.

We understand that they are good d2 teams, however we are a good D1 team and we shouldn't look this bad. 

And what If it doesn't improve?  We can only have so many excuses. 

wh

Quote from: Chairback on November 06, 2021, 12:46:13 PM
Always great podcasts. Thank you again PO.  I can't imagine not having these to enjoy. We are lucky.   

To answer the question what do you want to see from these type games:

1) some sort of offensive flow.  It was said they have been practicing since June.  Even if we missed every shot I'd there was good movement I'd be somewhat happy.  This is not a new issue. 
2) in game adjustments from the coach.  Opponents will run the same play over on us and we are slow to figure it out.

We understand that they are good d2 teams, however we are a good D1 team and we shouldn't look this bad. 

And what If it doesn't improve?  We can only have so many excuses. 

I think Matt is the right coach doing the right things, as evidenced by the talented group he has assembled. My opinion can only turn on one thing - not meeting my personal expectations for the season. I expect nothing less than a 3rd place finish in conference this year, followed by winning the league and conf. tournament next year. Between now and then, I will remain his strongest advocate and biggest supporter. I hope that never has to change, but that isn't up to me.

vok22

I clicked through a few of the D2 top 25 games vs D1 exhibitions that have been played this year. Almost every single game has been decided by single digits. Including last night when Miles lost at Kentucky by 9. They received 1 vote in the Division 2 top 25. In fact, Toledo beat Findlay college by 5 after rallying from down 11 with 10 minutes left. Would they have been able to do that when missing 3 key players? So I am fairly certain that, especially this year with so many 5th year seniors, the playing field is going to be a lot more even than we've seen in the past. Now when it comes to the offense, I have only been able to listen on radio, so I haven't actually seen the offense myself. It seems like people are complaining the offense is still stagnant. That is really concerning to me because that has been a problem for 4 years now, and Lottich said this summer that they are installing a new offense this year, so I was hoping to see that change. That being said, I have noticed a few positives from the offense so far just looking at the stat sheet. Last season, we only had 2 players average double figures (barely, as Clay averaged 10.1 ppg). Through 2 exhibitions, we have had 7 double figure scorers, and that number would likely be 9 if Krikke was healthy. We are also averaging 8 more ppg through than we did all of last year despite having a bench thats leading career minutes player was EMIL. Just from listening to the radio, it seems like 90% of the offensive struggles have come with the bench in the game, which isn't really a concern of mine yet as when healthy the bench will look completely different. That being said, every team will have to deal with injuries every year, so that is no excuse. We have to be prepared to step up and fill those missing pieces. It is difficult to fill 3 key missing pieces at once no matter who you are, though. Either way, I can't wait to be able to watch the game against Toledo. Will not have to debate about the quality of the opponent, as they are picked to finish 3rd in the division 1 MAC. I really hope that at least Krikke will be able to play, although I have my doubts. A win in this game would be a really good win to start the season.

bbtds

Quote from: vok22 on November 06, 2021, 01:51:02 PMI really hope that at least Krikke will be able to play, although I have my doubts.

It was mentioned during the radio broadcast of the football game vs Presbyterian that Krikke would be back for the game against Toledo.

tjjvalpo

Krikke's return will be huge. I think the new offense that Lottich talked about is dependent on Krikke and Kithier being both on the floor at the same time. Without Krikke, this could be why they looked lost at times.

bb33

Finally had the chance to listen to the podcast and I am sort of glad I listened to it after the Toledo game.  It was interesting to hear why or why not Young should redshirt, which now obviously he is not.  I think it is the right move.  By January, Young will have enough experience to start making an impact.  Add Ben and Kobe and this team will be tough and bear no resemblance to the team who played on Thursday.

You talked about facts or excuses. Does it matter?  Maybe a little, but it's November!   This is the time to be optimistic about the team.  See our flaws and shortcomings and hope they can be turned around.  At the end of January, we will either be pumped up or calling for Matt's head.  But until then, I say the glass is half full.

VALPO LI

Without further ado here is the latest Union Street Hoops!!!!
President Padilla joins Paul for a great episode that touches on everything from his own family to the Beacon Family!!!

https://omny.fm/shows/union-street-hoops/the-jose-padilla-episode?in_playlist=union-street-hoops!podcast
Shine on Vu

vu72

Great interview!  President Padilla will be a difference maker.  The right person at the right time!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

wh

Another outstanding PO podcast. The President Padilla interview is a must listen.

AlaskaCrusader19

Great interview with Padilla. It was interesting to hear him describe Valpo Football as "not real Division 1 football." That's a lot of money being spent on a program that received that type of comment.

JD24

Quote from: AlaskaCrusader19 on December 14, 2021, 09:52:33 AMGreat interview with Padilla. It was interesting to hear him describe Valpo Football as "not real Division 1 football." That's a lot of money being spent on a program that received that type of comment.
Don't the money games pay for more than the football program?

crusader05

Yeah, between tuition money, the pay games, and the deep pockets of donors due to it's longevity, plus it's bringing in 100 plus male students I think it's important to remember that the football program does a lot for the university just not in the way we think of when we think of sports helping the bottom line of a university.

valpopal

Quote from: vu72 on December 13, 2021, 06:20:03 PM
Great interview!  President Padilla will be a difference maker.  The right person at the right time!
I finally had an opportunity to listen to the podcast. I agree with others that Padilla has displayed an enthusiasm and personal commitment by appearing at various sporting events. His ability to encourage others at the volleyball rally and elsewhere is undeniable, and it is refreshing to see his spirit when it comes to sports. In the interview, I also found him to be saying all the right things, as he has in the dozen or so times I have seen him speak in person during the past year. Though he often tends to speak only in generalities where he can not be pinned down, perhaps reflecting his background in politics, and I don't mean that as a criticism. There were no specific details, commitments, or plans mentioned, which I would like to hear in the near future and will expect after spring semester's strategic planning stage is complete. When discussing the new nickname, he didn't even mention the subject of the still nonexistent mascot, even though the fall season is now over and basketball has already begun conference play.

On the other hand, the first half of the podcast should not be overlooked. With Paul's comments about student enthusiasm or lack of it as well as the basketball season restarting, the questionable decision-making in the Charlotte game, Lottich's willingness to assume responsibility for the loss, and an absolute need to win the next three games as momentum to resumption of conference play, this was perhaps Paul's best 25 minutes of analysis thus far. 

usc4valpo

Excellent interview. I have a feeling he wants more success in sports than other previous presidents. My only concern was his engagement at DePaul where basketball tanked with an incredibly inept AD. I hope he saw what lessons can be learned. I will say that allowing alcohol sales at sporting events was way overdue and I would guess the old guard was not on board.

Regarding football, now I see why Valpo continues to participate - it brings in male students and revenue. We now know officially what it is and where it stands.

JD24

Quote from: usc4valpo on December 17, 2021, 06:16:15 AMRegarding football, now I see why Valpo continues to participate - it brings in male students and revenue. We now know officially what it is and where it stands.
Join the club!

David81

Great interview with President Padilla. Three things struck me as significant: He (1) knows and loves sports; (2) understands the important but balanced role of sports at a school like VU, for players and students/fans alike; and (3) looks for common ground but is willing to make tough decisions and live with them. I think folks who care about the future of sports at VU have reason to be optimistic.

VALPO LI

Quote from: JD24 on December 17, 2021, 12:53:58 PM
Quote from: usc4valpo on December 17, 2021, 06:16:15 AMRegarding football, now I see why Valpo continues to participate - it brings in male students and revenue. We now know officially what it is and where it stands.
Join the club!

Without tooting anyone's horn but Paul Oren spoke about this topic on a previous Union Streets Hoops episode when Valpo dropped men's soccer.  Posters questioned why wouldn't the University drop an expensive to run sport like football instead.  The answer, 100 male students that pay tuition.
Shine on Vu

crusader05

I think it's important to remember that while at DePaul he was the General Counsel. It really wasn't up to him about sports decisions etc.

VALPO LI

Shine on Vu

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

VU2014

We need a post-Mortem USH/TVB podcast episode...

Where does this program and athletics department go from here...?