• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Transfers

Started by valpo4life, March 24, 2017, 11:10:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpo64

No offense, valpopal.  I appreciate your efforts to find whatever news is available

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: craftyrighthander on June 25, 2018, 04:12:40 PM
My question is does your credible source want you to put cryptic information out on the message board in order to attempt to appease the fans?  If the answer is "yes",  then you did your job.   

From where I sit (about 1.5 miles as the crow flies from the MVC offices), while "positive movement" is entertaining to read, announcing a new assistant coach or a transfer is what moves the needle for me.    I do wish, however, that the those in authority at VU had 20% of the passion for VU Men's Basketball that those on this message board have.  That would go a long way to moving the program to the upper half of the MVC.

Not saying it's the case here, but good PR ppl manipulate the fan base  like this in the business world all the time.

It's a proven technique in bigger media markets.  I'd think we are far too small of a fan board for such things, but how else does a VU media team keep from being bored in the summer?

VULB#62

Quote from: craftyrighthander on June 25, 2018, 04:12:40 PM
My question is does your credible source want you to put cryptic information out on the message board in order to attempt to appease the fans?  If the answer is "yes",  then you did your job.   

From where I sit (about 1.5 miles as the crow flies from the MVC offices), while "positive movement" is entertaining to read, announcing a new assistant coach or a transfer is what moves the needle for me.    I do wish, however, that the those in authority at VU had 20% of the passion for VU Men's Basketball that those on this message board have.  That would go a long way to moving the program to the upper half of the MVC.

And I would include in that wish rank and file Valpo alumni. Jusy my 2  :twocents:

justducky

Quote from: valporun on June 25, 2018, 02:02:05 PM
Compared to most summers, where we have our scholarships filled, and we're just hoping someone poked their head into the gym to see any shooting or pickup games, this seems to be the most bloodthirsty summer for any news about Valpo basketball, and I, for one, am definitely enjoying the action on this board now.
:thumbsup:  Some summers there is little board activity and very little on which to comment. Not so for this one.

As for recruiting let me analogize a hypothetical MVCarFleet Buyers Consortium and a very real and similarly titled basketball conference which is annually replacing a near fleet sized number of players. So most of this group has either finished, or near finished or even over finished (too many replacements), this process. Meanwhile
Matt Lotich (our designated buyer) is still looking at some showroom new models while keeping an eye on the back lot for recent trade-ins (transfers) that can give him 1 or 2 or even 3 years of reliable service. Knowing we have a long line of credit (two available scholarships) has to be driving him crazy as he is traveling from lot to lot kicking the tires. So what happens next? Will Matt find us some more overlooked and high powered classics, or will he deliver us another Clark Grizzwald clunker that can't even make it to Wally-World?

VUGrad1314

No mention of Faulds. Wow. Seems like an oversight.

VU2014

valpopal, Any word if this potential transfer would be enrolled in time for summer course by July 2?

valpopal

Quote from: VU2014 on June 27, 2018, 02:22:05 PM
valpopal, Any word if this potential transfer would be enrolled in time for summer course by July 2?

No, nothing new since I learned about the "possibility," and I would not think so anyway. However, I would expect an official coaching staff announcement by then since other players will be on campus for the second semester.

SanityLost17

Who guessed Nick Robinson as their pick for ValpoPal's clues?   

Just saw he is transferring.  Guessing he is the rumored guy?   

SanityLost17

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4066509/nick-robinson

Good Assist to turnover ratio.   Not a great 3 point shooter, but was very selective in taking them so he is not a chucker.   Good height for a guard.   Good rebounder for a guard.  I seem to remember people thinking he would be a good defender.   

valpopal

Quote from: VU2014 on June 27, 2018, 02:22:05 PM

vufan75

If Nick Robinson is the rumored transfer.....some info on him from the SJU MBB webpage. 

http://www.sjuhawks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=31200&ATCLID=211082942

SanityLost17

Quote from: vufan75 on June 29, 2018, 12:41:59 PM
If Nick Robinson is the rumored transfer.....some info on him from the SJU MBB webpage. 

http://www.sjuhawks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=31200&ATCLID=211082942

as a Sophomore he averaged 14 points and 7 rebounds per game during his last 7 games of A10 play on a .500 4th place A10 team.  Sit 1 and play 2.   This would not be a depth guy, this would be an immediate impact guy.   

VU2014

Quote from: SanityLost17 on June 29, 2018, 12:52:10 PM
as a Sophomore he averaged 14 points and 7 rebounds per game during his last 7 games of A10 play on a .500 4th place A10 team.  Sit 1 and play 2.   This would not be a depth guy, this would be an immediate impact guy.   

Agreed. I believe he won most most-improved player on SJU's team last year. He's a good player and could use the Red-Shirt year to get even better. He looks like a pretty versatile player as well. I'd be very happy if he landed at Valpo. He actually played PG for SJU when they were banged up the last few years. I remember the staff really liked him coming out of High School a few years ago.

https://twitter.com/jmverlin/status/1012774492442152961

Robinson's transfer leaves St. Joe's shorthanded
06/29/2018, 2:45pm EDT
By Josh Verlin

A quote from SJU head coach Phil Martelli in the press release mentioned that "family circumstances have caused Nick to make this move," so expect the Chicago, Ill. native to wind up closer to home for his final two seasons of college basketball.

His former team will have to move forward without the 6-foot-6 combo guard, who averaged 6.4 ppg, 4.4 rpg and 2.2 apg in 62 career games, with 30 starts. A strong perimeter defender who was more comfortable playing on the ball than off it, he'd been a valuable part of the rotation for two years, though it looked like he was about to potentially break out as a junior.

Robinson really hit his stride during the closing run of his second collegiate season, averaging 14.1 ppg and 7.1 rpg while hitting 10-of-15 (.667) from 3-point range over the final seven games of the year. His play was a major reason the Hawks (16-16, 10-8 A-10) closed out the year winning seven of its final nine games despite playing with a seven-man rotation that featured two freshmen and was missing two projected starters -- junior point guard Lamarr "Fresh" Kimble and sophomore wing Charlie Brown Jr. -- to injuries that had kept them out all year.

Brown has the best length of the group, but he wasn't considered as good of an on-ball defender as Robinson, who could guard the '1' through '4's in most lineups.

... https://www.cityofbasketballlove.com/news_article/show/930810

justducky

Quote from: vufan75 on June 29, 2018, 12:41:59 PMas a Sophomore he averaged 14 points and 7 rebounds per game during his last 7 games of A10 play on a .500 4th place A10 team.  Sit 1 and play 2.   This would not be a depth guy, this would be an immediate impact guy. 

St Josephs had an rpi of 203 for 16-17 and only 149 for 17-18. With that in mind I don't see Robinson as someone capable of either parting or walking on water. That said he has the type of size and versatile talents that in conjunction with our already known parts could put the 19-20 team in serious competition with 97-98, and 15-16 for being our best ever. So yes he could be a solid get and someone among a short list that Matt might consider.  :thumbsup:

wh

Maybe Nick Robinson and Zion Morgan will come together. They were HS teammates at Kenwood Academy.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: wh on June 29, 2018, 11:14:08 PM
Maybe Nick Robinson and Zion Morgan will come together. They were HS teammates at Kenwood Academy.

If Robinson wants to come back to the Midwest.  Who are our competitors with scholarships open at this point?  Butler, Loyola, DePaul, Marquette, UIC, Northwestern (think they are at capacity)....?

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on June 30, 2018, 05:42:51 AM

If Robinson wants to come back to the Midwest.  Who are our competitors with scholarships open at this point?  Butler, Loyola, DePaul, Marquette, UIC, Northwestern (think they are at capacity)....?

A concern is that both coaches that could have been recruiting Robinson may have moved on.  Unless Gore...

VU2014

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on June 30, 2018, 05:44:17 AM
Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on June 30, 2018, 05:42:51 AM

A concern is that both coaches that could have been recruiting Robinson may have moved on.  Unless Gore...

Lottich and Gore were on staff when we were recruiting Robinson out of high school.

Robinson had offers from:
-Valpo: 2 available scholarships
-Indiana State: 0 available scholarships
-California: New coaching staff
-UIC: according to VC they have -2 scholarships... someone is getting the boot there. They are flush with 2/3s on their roster
-SLU: New coaching staff and I doubt he transfers within the conference
-Bradley: 0 scholarships
-SIU: 1 scholarship
-Depaul: 1 scholarship

VU2014

Just heard a rumor that Loyola jumped into Nick Robinson's recruitment...

Loyola's Director of Basketball Operations was his coach on his AAU team Meanstreets. It's against NCAA rules for a DBO to actively recruit a player but I guarantee that rule is broken by many teams.

VUGrad1314

Geez they go to one Final 4 and suddenly think they're a blue blood. Don't they know if the NCAA finds out that a DBO recruited this player they'll be smacked every bit as hard as any other midmajor that violates the rules?

wh

Quote from: VU2014 on June 30, 2018, 07:30:46 PM
Just heard a rumor that Loyola jumped into Nick Robinson's recruitment...

Of course they did. They've already made 15 class of 2019 offers (all 2-star players). Why not 1 more. Totally insane mid major recruiting strategy. They caught lightning in a bottle once. It will never happen again. Moser is not Brad Stevens and Loyola is not the new Butler. They have enough talent left over to have a respectable 2018-19, but it's down hill from there. Book it.

VU2014

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on June 30, 2018, 09:51:24 PM
Geez they go to one Final 4 and suddenly think they're a blue blood. Don't they know if the NCAA finds out that a DBO recruited this player they'll be smacked every bit as hard as any other midmajor that violates the rules?

To be fair this rule is broken by many teams, even by some at the MM level. It's tough to police. It will be interesting to see where he lands. I definitely think we have a shot at landing him. He'd be a great fit here and there is familiarity with the program from his initial recruitment.

I wonder if he'll qualify for the "hardship waiver". It means he'd be able to avoid a red-shirt season, because the transfer was made for a family emergency. The rule was heavily abused in the past, so the NCAA became much more strict about the rule a few years back. I don't know the whole story about why he is hoping to transfer closer to home.

Fingers crossed he chooses Valpo.

Quote from: wh on June 30, 2018, 10:09:37 PM
Of course they did. They've already made 15 class of 2019 offers (all 2-star players). Why not 1 more. Totally insane mid major recruiting strategy. They caught lightning in a bottle once. It will never happen again. Moser is not Brad Stevens and Loyola is not the new Butler. They have enough talent left over to have a respectable 2018-19, but it's down hill from there. Book it.

Robinson was a 3 star by some services and was widely considered a Top 10 player out of IL in his class. He's a better player then his stats show his first 2 seasons. I think LU has a lot to prove before being considered in the same conversation as butler, but they do have a unique opportunity to ride the momentum which will definitely help with recruitment. They still are returning Custer (NBA draft caliber player) and many other pieces like Krutwig, Townes, Williamson, etc and some hyped transfers. They'll be good next season and arguably the favorite again.

may know

That is ridiculous. It's a common rule that DBO's are restricted - Barry Hinson often cites how hard it was for him to hold back at Kansas. Whose email at the NCAA do you fill an inquiry to?

VU2014

Quote from: may know on July 01, 2018, 12:04:46 AM
That is ridiculous. It's a common rule that DBO's are restricted - Barry Hinson often cites how hard it was for him to hold back at Kansas. Whose email at the NCAA do you fill an inquiry to?

I have no clue if he specifically reached out or not. I'm just pointing out connections. I just heard that Loyola has interest. They have 1 scholarship available.