• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Transfers

Started by valpo4life, March 24, 2017, 11:10:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ValpoDad89

VUGrad1314,from what I'm hearing on Roberts is he's weighing his options and is really wanting a P5 offer. He's not going to get get it, IMO but I've been wrong before. JC is an also option. He's a sit 1 play 3 and if he saw what he'd playing with going forward at  Valpo it would be a NICE destination for him. Plus he bridges the gap between Evelyn and Bradford and allow Lottich and company to develop their PG of the future. Maybe Evelyn and Bradford having an extra year scares him, I don't know but he'd have 2years of running the show on this team which has aspirations of having a bounty of talent for some years. He's not NBA sized but Valpo has proven that it take kids of lesser pedigree and allow them to make money professionally somewhere.

VU2014

I think Lavender is going to be a Crusader and take that last scholarship.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VU2014 on July 10, 2018, 07:42:18 PM

Deion Lavender 6'2" SG?  Why?

VU2014

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on July 10, 2018, 07:54:28 PM

6'4" combo. For a depth grad-transfer he might not be a bad pick up. It insures that the coaching staff will get at least one scholarship for a income freshman in that 2019 class, barring any transfers. Not every guy is going to be a impact guy. You need role players to make the team and maybe he could be that for us.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VU2014 on July 10, 2018, 07:57:21 PM

6'4" combo. For a depth grad-transfer he might not be a bad pick up. It insures that the coaching staff will get at least one scholarship for a income freshman in that 2019 class, barring any transfers. Not every guy is going to be a impact guy. You need role players to make the team and maybe he could be that for us.

I suppose if we have zero chance of landing a serviceable PF in this class then what's the hurt.  Mid season transfers and a last chance PF this summer are all that we lose with this guy.

FieldGoodie05

Anyone else excited for the next Union Street Hoops!?!?

VU2014

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on July 10, 2018, 08:25:13 PM
Anyone else excited for the next Union Street Hoops!?!?

VU2014

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on July 10, 2018, 08:24:04 PM
I suppose if we have zero chance of landing a serviceable PF in this class then what's the hurt.  Mid season transfers and a last chance PF this summer are all that we lose with this guy.

That would have been my preference also but maybe it's a sign that the coaching staff is confident that Mileek is going to take a big step forward next season. It could also be a sign that Fazekas is going to be playing some stretch 4 next season.

VUGrad1314

I think I'd rather give those minutes on the wing to JFL or Fazekas and wait for a potential  impact player in the frontcourt or an impact piece for the future. I think we should at least  try to get Baptiste, or Roberts,or Eboigbodin first. I am leery of the numerous transfers by Lavender as well. Brandon Wood is the best case scenario for that situation--and maybe Lavender can be that--but oftentimes there's a reason players can't find a stable place in college hoops.

justducky

I am comfortable with the chemistry and mix that Matt has collected, but subtraction by addition is really a thing and we could be on the verge of it now. So using the argument that we should roll the dice with our last scholarship is a fools bet. Our 13'th scholarship is just as important as our first and we need another perfect fit.

VU2014

Quote from: justducky on July 11, 2018, 11:00:54 AM

I am comfortable with the chemistry and mix that Matt has collected, but subtraction by addition is really a thing and we could be on the verge of it now. So using the argument that we should roll the dice with our last scholarship is a fools bet. Our 13'th scholarship is just as important as our first and we need another perfect fit.

It's important to remember that the Coaches have 95% more info on a kid then we do. They actually bring kids in and see if they're a culture fit, do research on them, talk to their former coaches, etc. Us reading into the fact that a kid transferred twice and basing our opinion on him off that is irresponsible and misinformed. If the coaches like him and clear him then I'm cool with it. They are the real professionals. This staff has good track record of putting a emphasis on culture fit.

valpopal

Bingo!  ;)

valpopal

justducky

Quote from: valpopal on July 11, 2018, 01:05:34 PM

Bingo!  ;)
You guys seem convinced and maybe you are correct. His sophomore numbers at UAB were his best but they were a long way from being really good. What role would he play for us and how many minutes could he earn ???  What is the upside for the team if this is our addition?

78crusader

This guy averaged 2.8 PPG. What's so special about that?

Paul

VU2014

Quote from: 78crusader on July 11, 2018, 07:29:13 PM
This guy averaged 2.8 PPG. What's so special about that?

Paul

It looks like he saw his role reduced last season. Just from the sense I get, but it may have been an unwise decision to leave SIU to begin with or to at least end up at UAB. His PER was a 13.0 which is nothing special but his eFG% was 55% which is good but his FT% was 55.6% last season (career 73.7%).

The coaches must like some aspect to his game that probably doesn't show up in the stats. Maybe he will surprise us.

justducky

Quote from: VU2014 on July 11, 2018, 07:45:29 PMMaybe he will surprise us.

Pleasantly or unpleasantly?  ::)

IrishDawg

Quote from: VU2014 on July 11, 2018, 07:45:29 PM
It looks like he saw his role reduced last season. Just from the sense I get, but it may have been an unwise decision to leave SIU to begin with or to at least end up at UAB. His PER was a 13.0 which is nothing special but his eFG% was 55% which is good but his FT% was 55.6% last season (career 73.7%).

The coaches must like some aspect to his game that probably doesn't show up in the stats. Maybe he will surprise us.

His eFG% was 55% on 33 field goal attempts, so I wouldn't read too much into that either way.  As you said, his role was reduced last season.  My main question is how did he grow 2 inches between the 2017 and 2018 season?  Seems odd that he was listed as 6'2 from 2015-17 and then 2018 comes and he's 6'4.  My only concern is his high turnover rate considering his lower than average usage rate, and his 3 point shooting percentage.  Him leaving UAB in mid-February this past season was also a little strange, but I'm sure Valpo's coaching staff has vetted the reason(s) behind that.

It's not really wasting a scholarship either way when the 13th scholarship is used on a grad transfer, and considering that most of Valpo's guard depth is either going to be young or unproven, having a guy who's familiar with the MVC and that's been through the battles will be helpful to the younger guys.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: IrishDawg on July 11, 2018, 08:23:59 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on July 11, 2018, 07:45:29 PM

His eFG% was 55% on 33 field goal attempts, so I wouldn't read too much into that either way.  As you said, his role was reduced last season.  My main question is how did he grow 2 inches between the 2017 and 2018 season?  Seems odd that he was listed as 6'2 from 2015-17 and then 2018 comes and he's 6'4.  My only concern is his high turnover rate considering his lower than average usage rate, and his 3 point shooting percentage.  Him leaving UAB in mid-February this past season was also a little strange, but I'm sure Valpo's coaching staff has vetted the reason(s) behind that.

It's not really wasting a scholarship either way when the 13th scholarship is used on a grad transfer, and considering that most of Valpo's guard depth is either going to be young or unproven, having a guy who's familiar with the MVC and that's been through the battles will be helpful to the younger guys.

It's telling that the coaches didn't just leave that open for mid season transfers.  Does this mean we have concern at the guard position as Irish says? 

I'm leaning towards his potential addition as Lottich trying to avoid throwing Sackey and Javon to the wolves early on.  Maybe coach saw how tough the transition was for our rookies last year in this conference ...Hazen/McMillan/Germany.  They were sort of forced into unfavorable trial by fire.  And it likely burned Hazen out prematurely.

But geez we are thin at PF/size.  I also agree that Lavender is likely 6'2" tops.

valpopal

Quote from: valpopal on July 11, 2018, 03:06:59 PM
Quote from: valpopal on July 11, 2018, 01:05:34 PM

Bingo!  ;)

..and here it is:

[tweet]1017238282973794304[/tweet]

justducky

I'm hoping that somebody will speak up and put a really positive spin on this so my excitement level will return to yesterdays measure.

Wait--I'll do it myself.  We now have a seasoned, up and down the road senior veteran whose warm, immediately eligible, and uninjured body will give us one year of backup help for our untested freshman guards.  :thumbsup:

sliman

Maybe someone can do a little digging, but I believe we may have tried to recruit Lavender (or a teammate) out of high school.  If true, perhaps a memory of those days stimulated the signing.  But, if he "signed" with Maryville, even though a DII school, can he change his mind and sign with someone else?  Aren't LOIs binding or is that only the case within the division of which the school providing the LOI is a memb er.

NativeCheesehead

This is a nice pickup for a grad transfer as he gives you some depth. If Micah comes out of the gate struggling then someone rolls an ankle we could have been in trouble. Assuming health, however, it would be hard to see him getting more than 8-10 min a game, if that.

vu72

Nice article I found about his play at UAB.  Tells us a little about what to expect.

https://thedailydragon.com/2017/01/20/is-deion-lavender-the-second-coming-of-robert-brown/

BTW, Robert Brown played two seasons at UAB before transferring to Va Tech and is now playing some in Europe.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015