• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Western Kentucky 11/15/18 at MB Inv. - 4:00 (CST) ESPNU

Started by bbtds, November 07, 2018, 11:53:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbtds

Western KY was actually leading Washington at Seattle at half time and only scored 19 in the 2nd half while losing 73-55. The Hilltoppers were up by 9 at half, 36-27.

They play at Tennessee-Martin on 11/10/18 Saturday.

Chairback

WKU 83
Valpo 62

We have a rebounding and offensive flow issue that will be exposed against our first D1 opponent. 

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: Chairback on November 07, 2018, 12:41:54 PM
WKU 83
Valpo 62

We have a rebounding and offensive flow issue that will be exposed against our first D1 opponent.

OOC record 7-6
MVC record 10-8
Overall record 17-14

1-1 in MVC tournament
CBI if that still exists...

20-wins are hard to find with our solid OOC and MVC schedule.  A record like this in a year where we aren't fighting for a championship is actually a success IMO. This team will find it's way in December in time for a solid conference schedule.

Eventually we find a way to compete for a championship every 2/4 years and that starts next year for our team.

Still ecstatic to see these guys gel and play a strong MVC slate!!

wh

Concordia, which was a very small team, had 11 offensive rebounds. We just don't crash the boards or swarm the ball. Other than Jay, it just doesn't seem to be in the DNA of our bigger players. Book it that we going to have big problems with aggressive front courts that crash the offensive glass. Upcoming opponents will be licking their chops when they see "film" of last night's game. Jay can be a big help in this area. I hope he's back soon.

tiny707

2019 Rebounder recruit is crucial! Someone to go with Javon and Daniel.

VU2014

Quote from: tiny707 on November 07, 2018, 04:05:20 PM
2019 Rebounder recruit is crucial! Someone to go with Javon and Daniel.

Keep your fingers crossed that we land Bediako. He's true center that has tools to be really well rounded defensively and he has a developing offensive game as well.

wh

Quote from: VU2014 on November 07, 2018, 03:45:38 PM
https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/1060010309115670534

I'm glad he tweeted this. I was listening to the postgame show on 95.1 on the way home, and just as Luke got mic'd up, the feed cut out and never came back before the end of the broadcast. Paul must have been sitting at the broadcast table.

VU2014

Quote from: wh on November 07, 2018, 06:17:58 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on November 07, 2018, 03:45:38 PM
https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/1060010309115670534

I'm glad he tweeted this. I was listening to the postgame show on 95.1 on the way home, and just as Luke got mic'd up, the feed cut out and never came back before the end of the broadcast. Paul must have been sitting at the broadcast table.

Are Paul and Michael going to be taking up residence at the scorers table again? Our media guys should be down on the court where they belong.

https://twitter.com/pjankValpo/status/1058148524846710784

aleavitt

We have 20 seats on the courtside scorer's table/press row. The expansion of TV/video broadcasts requires 4 seats for all that equipment, plus 1 seat for the timeout coordinator. In addition, when we joined the MVC, we had to add replay equipment, which takes up another two spots, and it is also mandated that there is a spot for an event management staff member.

Long story short, there are a number of spots being taken up by personnel who wouldn't have taken up spots in the past. You add in the table crew (scoreboard/clock/official scorers), PA/marketing, sports info/stats, and seats for visiting team personnel, and you run out of available seats quickly. I can do a lot of things with numbers, but I can't make 26 people fit into 20 seats. It's why a few years ago, I started moving our writers up onto the track, and why last year, we moved both radio positions onto the track as well.

That photo was taken at our exhibition game, which we didn't have video for, hence no broadcasters/timeout coordinator/replay equipment. I made the decision to keep my seating setup like it would be for a normal regular season game, rather than move people downstairs for just one game and then move them right back to the track.

VULB#62

Thanks for the thorough explanation, Aaron.  If/when the ARC get's rennovated, would this situation be factored into seating plans to bring those up on the track back down to courtside?

M

Who cares where they sit. The guy that tweeted that picture out needs to let it go already. You can see better from up high anyways.

crusadermoe

Let's pay the Hilltoppers a few bucks to play us in "Hilltop Gym" this weekend.  Then their team and ours can both do some sightseeing in Myrtle Beach on the day before their next game and be rested for day two.   :)

bbtds

Being in Valpo tonight I realize that the time I put in the subject line for this Western Kentucky game was 5:00 p.m. EASTERN. For those in the Central time zone the game time is 4:00 p.m. on a Thursday. Many of you will need to listen at the end of your work day or hurry home after work to see this game on ESPNU.

Edit: Fixed subject line

bbtds

It does get better.

If we beat WKY then we play on Friday the 16th at 9:00 p.m. EST / 8:00 p.m. CST most likely against West Virginia. If we lose to WKY then we play at 6:30 p.m. EST / 5:30 p.m. CST most likely against Monmouth. If we lose we play on ESPN3, if we win we play on ESPNU.

bbtds

FYI, Western KY knocked off Tennessee-Martin 86-71 on Saturday.

Hollingsworth 22 pts
Murray  18 pts
Savage  16 pts
Bassey  15 pts
Anderson  7 pts
Smith  6 pts
Horton  2 pts

VUSWIM08-12

The betting line opened with the Hilltoppers at -5, I'd be thrilled if it's that close. I got  a feeling it will move to -6 or more tomorrow. Unfortunately I think WKU will cover with several points to spare. I watched Todd's weekly preview ,and in my opinion, Lottich didn't seem confident about his team. Hopefully I'm wrong!
Valpo-59
WKU-74

IrishDawg

Quote from: VUSWIM08-12 on November 15, 2018, 01:58:36 AM
The betting line opened with the Hilltoppers at -5, I'd be thrilled if it's that close. I got  a feeling it will move to -6 or more tomorrow. Unfortunately I think WKU will cover with several points to spare. I watched Todd's weekly preview ,and in my opinion, Lottich didn't seem confident about his team. Hopefully I'm wrong!
Valpo-59
WKU-74

Kenpom line is Valpo as a 3 point dog.  Neither of their games did WKU play up to expectations, so it really depends on how you feel about this Valpo team since they haven't played anyone yet.  Personally I think Valpo has the talent to compete with (and possibly beat) WKU, especially early on in the season given Valpo has more roster continuity from last year.

may know

Thanks for the post upthread, Aaron. Disregard Tweeter Complainer.

mjg100

We have yet to see our starting five on the floor. In the UW game we were missing our starting forward and our starting point guard. In the UT Martin game we were missing our starting point guard. We will still be missing our point guard until Dec. 16th. He thought he was going pro last year, so stopped going to classes last spring. Kids do dumb things. Also Bassey has been playing with a large knee brace. I am hoping he can get rid of that, it will help his mobility. The UT Martin game was not close. We were up by quite a bit, and played the bench. Looking forward to this tournament.

bbtds

Quote from: mjg100 on November 15, 2018, 07:56:09 AM
We have yet to see our starting five on the floor. In the UW game we were missing our starting forward and our starting point guard. In the UT Martin game we were missing our starting point guard. We will still be missing our point guard until Dec. 16th. He thought he was going pro last year, so stopped going to classes last spring. Kids do dumb things. Also Bassey has been playing with a large knee brace. I am hoping he can get rid of that, it will help his mobility. The UT Martin game was not close. We were up by quite a bit, and played the bench. Looking forward to this tournament.

Thanks for the WKU team update and welcome to the board. I think you should feel comfortable watching this game because as was mentioned before this Valpo team has a huge problem in the rebounding dept and if your big man has skills in the offensive end he will kill us under the basket. Our bigs just have no tenacity.

My prediction is WKU 73 - VU 58. We won't completely roll over but we have a lot holes in our game.

mjg100

If Josh Anderson or Dalano Banton learn the point guard role, we will do fine. If not, we will struggle some until Bearden gets back.

Chairback

I'm surprised we can hire MVC refs for a practice.   Seems like if you pay them enough calls can go your way once you are in a real game. I'm sure there  are controls around  this but just seems odd you can hire them

VUSWIM08-12

Line has moved to -6.5 for WKU, probably will be at -7 in a couple hours! I don't think  we've had enough time to gel,I think we'll be above .500 in the MVC but NOV/DEC are gonna be rough!