• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Wake Forest at MB Invitational Sunday,Nov.18 10:30 a.m.EST / 9:30 a.m.CST ESPNU

Started by bbtds, November 16, 2018, 09:17:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbtds

Wake Forest will probably dominate Valpo on the boards.

(EDIT) This game will be on ESPNU.

If our 3 point shooters can get into some kind of groove maybe the Crusaders could pull this game out. Wake Forest is having a pretty poor year for a P5 team.

vu84v2

Game is on ESPNU at 9:30 AM CST (yes - the game is in the morning). Croissants with the Crusaders? Bloody Marys with Matt? 

VU2014

Quote from: vu84v2 on November 16, 2018, 09:48:29 PM
Game is on ESPNU at 9:30 AM CST (yes - the game is in the morning). Croissants with the Crusaders? Bloody Marys with Matt? 

Sounds like a fun way to start a Sunday morning. 👍

VU2014

I really think we have a shot to win this game.

Prediction: Valpo wins 71-68

bbtds

Western KY knocks off West Virginia 63-57. So we could consider ourselves in 3rd place in the MBI if we can beat Wake Forest.

This also puts us in a position to defeat West Virginia in Morgantown if we can play at the top of our game and go hard at every rebound.

govalpogo

Quote from: bbtds on November 17, 2018, 12:40:39 AM
Western KY knocks off West Virginia 63-57. So we could consider ourselves in 3rd place in the MBI if we can beat Wake Forest.

This also puts us in a position to defeat West Virginia in Morgantown if we can play at the top of our game and go hard at every rebound.

Point taken, but I believe the way the tournament is bracketed that we are playing for 5th place.  It does seem odd that 4th place (loser of the "3rd place" game between St. Joe's and WVU) would have a 1-2 record while 5th place (winner in our next game) would have a 2-1 record.  A first round loss is tough in this design.  Regardless, looking forward to a game with an ACC opponent that we have a chance against.  Feels like this game could be a big confidence boost to the group if they come away with a W. 

EddieCabot

Quote from: VU2014 on November 16, 2018, 10:17:26 PM
I really think we have a shot to win this game.

Prediction: Valpo wins 71-68

I think 2014 may have this right.  FWIW, KenPom has it 73-71 in favor of Wake.

crusadermoe

ESPN predictor graph had us at 54% chance to win.    But we will need the bigs to at least keep their bodies in the game as well as some decent shooting from the rest. 

I think expecting to beat or contend well with WVa at their place is a BIG reach.

bbtds

Quote from: govalpogo on November 17, 2018, 11:23:04 AM
Quote from: bbtds on November 17, 2018, 12:40:39 AM

Point taken, but I believe the way the tournament is bracketed that we are playing for 5th place.  It does seem odd that 4th place (loser of the "3rd place" game between St. Joe's and WVU) would have a 1-2 record while 5th place (winner in our next game) would have a 2-1 record.  A first round loss is tough in this design.  Regardless, looking forward to a game with an ACC opponent that we have a chance against.  Feels like this game could be a big confidence boost to the group if they come away with a W. 

Yes, I'm basically rewriting the MB Invitational rules and saying that the first round should not weigh as heavily as the second and final games. Valpo, in the minds of it's fans should "consider" itself in third place if it beats Wake Forest in this Invitational.

oklahomamick

I want to point out that Valpo is a favorite in Vegas over an ACC team.  Go Crusaders. 
CRUSADERS!!!

EddieCabot

Quote from: oklahomamick on November 18, 2018, 06:43:09 AM
I want to point out that Valpo is a favorite in Vegas over an ACC team.  Go Crusaders.

Who has Valpo favored?  All the lines I'm seeing are Wake -1.

FieldGoodie05

McMillan needs anti-testosterone treatment.  Fouls a guy dribbling at the 3-pt line and then gets in a verbal pointing match with Lavender.

WAY to early to tell, but has he learned to temper his aggression at all since last year.  I'm not a fan of his basketball IQ whatsoever.  That is his biggest growth opportunity from a fans perspective.

NativeCheesehead

Boy I really hope Sorolla has improved and will be 100% by conference. Otherwise we're going to lose every conference game we shoot below 40% from 3.

bbtds

"Oh looky here. What's this behind my ear? Oh, looky it's the basketball. What am I supposed to do with this?"

The trials of John Kiser and his problems controlling the basketball while loosely guarded.

may know

RS

VUME

First game I have been able to watch this season. A few observations over these few last seasons.

Lottich coaching style:

1) Make no investment in individual player development

2) Do not use ball movement. Rely on individual circus shots and hope they go in.

3) ignore the concept of team basketball and how every succesful Valpo team in the past share the basketball.

4) Live and die by the 3 ball because why drive to the basket.

5) never learn from previous mistakes.

6) Energized defending and rebounding is optional.

7)  No need to work on free throws, why bother. Obviously too overwhelmed with neglecting other aspects of coaching.

Disclaimer for the Lottich apologists: yes this is critical. Yes it is unfair because I am a fan who is not directly involved in the program. Yes he has had a rough start to his tenure and has had a lot of bad luck. Just observations of how the Valpo program has changed over the past few years.

valpopal

At halftime the official boxscore shows the disparity in points off turnovers and second chance points is 17-2 in favor of Wake Forest. (Valpo's two points only came with the foul on Fazekas at the end of the half. For some reason, McMillan's dunk at the buzzer was not credited as points off turnover.) Those are 15 gift points!

vu84v2

Thought that calling the rebounding foul against Fazekas as flagrant was wrong - but Valpo will take it. Huge four point play.

Valpo looked good at the beginning because the ball was moving and it opened up the offense. Given the terrible stretch on offense (lots of bad possessions) and getting killed inside, Valpo fortunate to be down 3. Can win this game if they play defense and block out like they did in the last four minutes.

FieldGoodie05

Turnovers should get better as the season progresses, but I'm concerned with Smits and Lavender TO.  I think in the Monmouth win the pair had (9) TO between the two alone.

valpopal

Credit Smits with a terrific game against good D-1 big man competition (not Concordia) and hope this is his turning point toward consistently being the player he has always had potential to become.

VULB#62

Why is Golder sitting so much?  He has a good FG% and rebounds with intensity. Why is Bakari taking threes when the game is on the line? Bakari made exactly one FG all game.

The team shot under 30% (21.1%) for 3ptrs - again. Zeke still not hitting for %age. Wake hit over 40%.

Smitts came up with 7 RBs to go along with 23 pts.

bbtds

And fifth, third---not the bank---place slips through the Crusaders' fingers.