• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

GAME #2: CCSU @ VUFB, 9/14, 1:00

Started by VULB#62, August 30, 2019, 09:13:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

Okay, we survived EKU with no significant injuries that we know of.

Areas of improvement to concentrate on:

ST:  LS, FGs, and Punting (basically everything).
Offense:  Consistent QB play, OL drive off the ball and pass protection, receiver separation
Defense:  stopping the long gains

I hope Brandon and Coach Fox do a post-EKU video during the bye week and then a regular pre-game video the week before the CCSU game. I would like to hear a deeper than usual analysis of the loss.

JD24

Typically when you play up in class big plays happen. Better athletes so anyone who gets on the loose is not going to be run down. That's far less likely vs. PFL competition.

I think we need to see more of Boxrucker in a featured role. I've been saying this since he was a freshman. So it's likely a suggestion not heeded again.

VULB#62

I was impressed with Cartales last year when I saw him live at Brown Field a couple of times. Either, he is not getting the same love from this staff as he did from the last one or he is still not at 100%. Don't get me wrong. I also like Boxrucker, so I'd love to see both in the backfield, but no one coaches a two back backfield anymore  :(.  So if the QB has to rely on a running game to loosen up the defense and the defense needs only to key on one back, it makes it pretty difficult to move the ball.

JD24

Quote from: VULB#62 on August 31, 2019, 02:22:08 PMI was impressed with Cartales last year when I saw him live at Brown Field a couple of times. Either, he is not getting the same love from this staff as he did from the last one or he is still not at 100%. Don't get me wrong. I also like Boxrucker, so I'd love to see both in the backfield, but no one coaches a two back backfield anymore  :(.  So if the QB has to rely on a running game to loosen up the defense and the defense needs only to key on one back, it makes it pretty difficult to move the ball.
Plenty of teams can run the ball with one back including Valpo. I thought it interesting that Cartales and Reese were returning kicks. It almost seemed as if the staff was attempting to limit the number of players who played in the game.

talksalot

Ccsu playing at Fordham today, up 15-6 at the half.  On 9/7 they host Merrimack college.

JD24

This isn't supposed to be one of Fordham's better teams rated near Stetson while CCoN is a bit better than Dayton ratings wise.

Game is tied at 23. So Valpo should be at least somewhat competitive. Think back to the Sacred Heart games of a few years ago.

QB was their leading rusher with 135 yards.

Now game is over with Central Connecticut winning on a last second field goal.

bbtds

valpofb16

Scores around PFL

Morehead St.-Union College (NAIA):44-7
Valpo-EKU:7-53
Jacksonville-Richmond:19-38
Davidson-Georgetown:27-20
Butler-North Dakota State: 10-57
Drake-North Dakota: 7-47
San Diego-Cal Poly: 34-52
Stetson-Pres: Canceled

Feel better about chances after seeing Butler and Drake scores. Jacksonville appears much improved. Holy hell Davidson remarkable turnaround.

JD24

Quote from: valpofb16 on September 01, 2019, 04:48:23 PMScores around PFL Morehead St.-Union College (NAIA):44-7 Valpo-EKU:7-53 Jacksonville-Richmond:19-38 Davidson-Georgetown:27-20 Butler-North Dakota State: 10-57 Drake-North Dakota: 7-47 San Diego-Cal Poly: 34-52 Stetson-Pres: Canceled Feel better about chances after seeing Butler and Drake scores. Jacksonville appears much improved. Holy hell Davidson remarkable turnaround.
Not sure margin of victory means all that much but I think NDSU and North Dakota are better than Eastern Kentucky and NDSU would probably tattoo EKU.

JD24

Quote from: bbtds on August 31, 2019, 10:55:24 PMPrediction  CCSU 48  Valpo  16
I was gauging this game with the Sacred Heart games from a few years ago and had forgotten that the game at Brown Field was a shellacking while the game in Connecticut was more competitive. I think the current defense is better than those teams and the offense is probably worse than the 2016 team unless some guys basically come out of nowhere next week. So I'm not sure we give up 48 but I'm also not sure we get to 16. Also CCoN playing as even as they did with Fordham may indicate they aren't as good as was thought going into the season.

VULB#62

Being from New England, I give less respect for CCSU even though they are NEC. However, if we can't score  even after we are able to hold them at bay, we are in trouble. So, right now, two weeks before we play and a week from seeing how CC does next week, I am thinking our game will parallel the Fordham contest. In that context the winning FG could, maybe, be Valpo's. Crap shoot!

But two weeks remain before game time, so I reserve the right to modify my stance 😀

bbtds

Quote from: JD24 on September 01, 2019, 05:14:31 PM
Quote from: bbtds on August 31, 2019, 10:55:24 PMPrediction  CCSU 48  Valpo  16
I was gauging this game with the Sacred Heart games from a few years ago and had forgotten that the game at Brown Field was a shellacking while the game in Connecticut was more competitive. I think the current defense is better than those teams and the offense is probably worse than the 2016 team unless some guys basically come out of nowhere next week. So I'm not sure we give up 48 but I'm also not sure we get to 16. Also CCoN playing as even as they did with Fordham may indicate they aren't as good as was thought going into the season.

The thing is it probably won't be the Valpo defense that gives up 25 to 40% of the points to CCSU.

usc4valpo

JD24 - I would certainly agree with your assessment on NDSU, and the Biz(s)on have been phenomenol. however, UND is not close to being in their class. NDSU May be a bowl team if they were in 1-A.

Fargo does not have much, but they have great football, a dome stadium, lots of bars  and the best ice fishermen in the US.

bbtds

Quote from: usc4valpo on September 02, 2019, 12:10:19 AM
JD24 - I would certainly agree with your assessment on NDSU, and the Biz(s)on have been phenomenol. however, UND is not close to being in their class. NDSU May be a bowl team if they were in 1-A.

Fargo does not have much, but they have great football, a dome stadium, lots of bars  and the best ice fishermen in the US.

And a famous movie named for them. Yah, der, don't cha know.

usc4valpo

yah - that is a movie that you either really love or really hate don't you know...

JD24

Quote from: usc4valpo on September 02, 2019, 12:10:19 AMJD24 - I would certainly agree with your assessment on NDSU, and the Biz(s)on have been phenomenol. however, UND is not close to being in their class. 
FCS ratings
1. NDSU15. ND65. EKU

What you stated regarding NDSU is likely correct but you're wrong on North Dakota. The Big Sky Conference is loaded with high end FCS teams. Last year Montana beat the 2nd best team in the PFL 48-16 and North Dakota beat Montana 41-16 or something like that. Eastern Kentucky is no match for ND at all.

usc4valpo

Agreed, but NDSU would destroy UND. The coaching and talent level varies a lot. I think the team to watch in the Valley is UNI

valpofb16

Thoughts after valpo football weekly

1) Fox did not use scholarships as a reason for loss. Said they made mistakes and they will work to fix them. Said he would not embrace the loser mentality.

2) said Duncan is there guy,and wanted to get him reps. Seewald still week to week with injuries.

Fox is a no excuse coach and it's becoming more and more evident. From a program standpoint this is outstanding. I will be shocked if Seewald takes a snap this season.

VULB#62

Quote from: valpofb16 on September 02, 2019, 06:22:34 PM
Thoughts after valpo football weekly

1) Fox did not use scholarships as a reason for loss. Said they made mistakes and they will work to fix them. Said he would not embrace the loser mentality.

2) said Duncan is there guy,and wanted to get him reps. Seewald still week to week with injuries.

Fox is a no excuse coach and it's becoming more and more evident. From a program standpoint this is outstanding. I will be shocked if Seewald takes a snap this season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=385&v=dZvJaoyWgrw

I also heard...

O needs consistency.

4 good running backs

Felt we got some good inside D line play but need to work on perimeter defense.

Saying "we did ok except for three long gainers" is a loser's mentality.  That is still 3 TDs (see the one just above). His definition of giving up a long gainer is 20 yards max, not 60+..

No serious injuries -- thought kids were in good shape coming into the game. Approaching bye week like an extension of fall camp to improve fundamentals that showed poorly in the game.

JD24

Quote from: usc4valpo on September 02, 2019, 12:10:19 AMJD24 - I would certainly agree with your assessment on NDSU, and the Biz(s)on have been phenomenol. however, UND is not close to being in their class. NDSU May be a bowl team if they were in 1-A. Fargo does not have much, but they have great football, a dome stadium, lots of bars  and the best ice fishermen in the US.
We'll find out how much better NDSU is than ND as they play today.

VULB#62

Some background on CCSU around today's game vs. Merrimack College (MA).  CC is ahead 37-21 in the 4th. But not before being behind 14-3 in the second qtr.  CC is now dominating the statistics.

But now a little about Merrimack for context. Moving up to FCS this year, its first in the NEC. Formerly D-II and a middle of the pack member of the NE-10.

That makes a conclusive relative assessment almost impossible right now, given that CC beat a Patriot opponent on the road last week.

Final: CC 39 - MC 23.
CC Off stats:  131 pass, 275 rush.
MC Off stats:  217 pass, 8 rush

So CC is 2-0 coming into our game. Right now, our performance could produce a tight contest like Fordham (and with a break here or there pull out that winning FG)  or we could go down like Merrimack. But like I said earlier, I do not respect New England D-II football as much as midwestern D-II, so, I'm thinking we would be stronger than MC, and therefore, this contest would lean more toward a Fordham-like result.

VULB#62

Oh, and for those of us looking forward to our D-II opponents after CCSU, Truman State beat Drake 10-7 today.

JD24

Quote from: VULB#62 on September 07, 2019, 08:45:18 PMSome background on CCSU around today's game vs. Merrimack College (MA).  CC is ahead 37-21 in the 4th. But not before being behind 14-3 in the second qtr.  CC is now dominating the statistics. But now a little about Merrimack for context. Moving up to FCS this year, its first in the NEC. Formerly D-II and a middle of the pack member of the NE-10. That makes a conclusive relative assessment almost impossible right now, given that CC beat a Patriot opponent on the road last week. Final: CC 39 - MC 23. CC Off stats:  131 pass, 275 rush. MC Off stats:  217 pass, 8 rush So CC is 2-0 coming into our game. Right now, our performance could produce a tight contest like Fordham (and with a break here or there pull out that winning FG)  or we could go down like Merrimack. But like I said earlier, I do not respect New England D-II football as much as midwestern D-II, so, I'm thinking we would be stronger than MC, and therefore, this contest would lean more toward a Fordham-like result.
Not sure where the above final is coming from but what actually happened is that Central Connecticut, again, won on a last second field goal after letting a big lead slip away. They completely outplayed Merrimack...outgained them by 200 yards....but allowed an onside kick to be recovered along with two 2 point conversions. Score was 40-37. CCSU never had 39 and Merrimack never was at 23.

I've seen some video of Central Connecticut on offense and it's an offense I'm left scratching my head as to how it works because it looks like a mess but ends up down the field. The QB is the leading rusher although they have a couple of decent backs and they complete some passes down the field. It is probably difficult for a DC to gameplan for because the offense appears to be a bit of street ball although this may be planned (much like Davidson).

As to the quality of the football, the NEC is the same conference as Sacred Heart and is an FCS conference not Div II. Valpo's played Sacred Heart (and Duquense) within the last 5 years and got blown out of one completely, was semi competitive for a time in another and played the Dukes tough last year. While not at the level either the MVC or OVC in terms of level of football....and thank goodness for that saving Valpo from another complete beatdown....the level of football in the NEC is still at a higher level overall than the PFL.

VULB#62

I was on the CCSU Game Tracker and followed the scores as they evolved. With 1:58 left it showed the score I posted. With CC running out the clock. Sorry if it was erroneous. Don't know how that happened. 

However,  what I said regarding MERRIMACK in comparison to CC is totally correct. If you read a bit more carefully the reference to D-II was about Merrimack not CC or the NEC. You know me better than that 24. I stated that Merrimack is in its first year of FCS play as a member of the NEC. My assessment made the point that they, MC, were a D-II team now essentially masquerading as an FCS program even though it was now a first year NEC member. I went on to point out that New England D-II football is, IMO, weaker than midwestern D-II football and drew a conclusion that would, in other words, lessen CC's level of performance in this game. The way it actually ended probably supports that notion.