• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

GAME #5: Valpo @ Drake - 10/5, 1:00

Started by VULB#62, September 29, 2019, 10:31:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

Well, yesterday was certainly disappointing. And it doesn't get much better on Saturday. Drake has finally broken out of the winless column by crushing Marist 41-17. In previous matchups the Bulldogs were overwhelmed by FCS North Dakota and SDSU and in between they were embarrassed by D-II Truman State (who, BTW, are currently 4-0). Against Marist they were ahead 41-10 (I believe) with 7 minutes remaining, then gave up a cheapy. Their QB threw for 4 TDs. 

Having completed our OOC portion of the schedule and going into the Drake game, I thought it might be good to recap the context of our record to date against 4 scholarship programs.

OPPONENT
EKU 3-2 with loses @ FBS Louisville and @ MVFC Indiana State
CCSU 3-1 with only a 5 point loss @ Eastern Michigan (who had beaten Illinois the week before)
TSU 4-0 
UofC 3-1       

We certainly did not schedule any "ham and eggers" this time around. Our in-transition team (in more ways than one) has faced 4 very respectable opponents who have not let us execute comfortably even once. I respect Fox for not throwing at least one Little Sisters of the Poor into the schedule in his first year, but it has come at a bit of a cost. I hope he and his staff can keep the program going forward without the kids losing any enthusiasm. 

usc4valpo

I will try to make it and hit Jethro's BBQ or the Library before the game. Drake is 26 point favorite according to Sagarin. I wonder if I will see the whacked out dad/fan I saw 2 years ago who was going off the deep end on the refs. Hope to see some of you at Des Moines!

VULB#62

I believe that was Griffin Norberg's dad. Lol

usc4valpo

Really? That dude was a trip. He went to the front row slamming the officials and his voice could be heard anywhere in an arena during a Metallica show. But listening to the audio from the game yesterday, I am sure there will be some new characters.

valpofb16

I'll take a guess at 28-0 Drake. Don't think they'll make mistakes to put us in scoring position. Don't think we can drive it downfield.

usc4valpo

30-7 Drake. I will not be at the game. Bummer, I always wanted to meet chef.

chef

The Chef is available at every game. So there will be other opportunities.

valpofb16

Breakdown of Participation (By GP 2019/OVR): Offense

QB:
#14 Duncan RSJR. (3/23)
#9 Seewald RSJR. (2/27)
#4 Mullen RSSR. (2/4)
#5 Nimz RSFR. (1/1)

RB
#44 Cartales SR. (4/33)
#32 Boxrucker SR. (4/32)
#21 Earley RSSR. (4/25)
#15 Haugh RSSO. (4/15)
#25 Allison RSFR. (2/3)
#27 Engle FR. (1/1)

TE
#40 Kluck RSSO. (4/11)
#84 Bittner RSSO. (4/15)

WR
#12 Koehler RSSR. (4/29)
#6 Reese SO. (4/15)
#88 Berkemeier FR. (3/3)
#17 Larose JR. (3/21)
#7 Stablein RSSO. (3/7)
#22 Lopez JR. (3/3)
#81 Brewer RSFR. (2/4)
#86 Tsoungui RSFR. (1/1)

OL
#65 Jarnigan RSSR. (4/36)
#60 Lundberg RSSR. (4/35)
#66 Vas JR. (4/25)
#73 Russell RSFR. (4/7)
#68 Byrd RSFR. (4/5)
#64 Biggs RSJR. (1/6)
#74 Zajac RSJR. (1/4)
#75 O'Doherty RSFR. (1/1)

LS
#99 Puckett RSSO (4/4)

K
#1 Latsonas SR. (4/34)

valpofb16

Breakdown of Participation (By GP 2019/OVR): Defense

DB:
#20 Booker SR. (4/36)
#16 Hebda JR. (4/19)
#29 Sherman SO. (4/13)
#31 Scarsella SO. (4/12)
#18 Hebda RSSO. (4/8)
#11 McKeag SO. (3/7)
#5 Leandre RSSR. (2/33)
#26 Salomon RSSR. (1/21)
#9 Leach RSSO. (1/8)
#35 Earles FR. (1/1)
#7 Mitchell FR. (1/1)

LB
#49 Turner RSSR. (4/38)
#36 Petrie SR. (4/32)
#24 Psota RSFR. (4/8)
#47 Messler RSSR. (3/26)
#8 Skarecky JR. (3/25)
#10 Peifer SO. (3/11)
#42 Annis FR. (2/2)
#89 Helm SO. (1/10)

DL
#28 Twigg JR. (4/26)
#92 Gedrys JR. (4/26)
#94 Orlandini JR. (4/19)
#78 Sete SO. (4/12)
#96 Germain RSSO. (4/8)
#45 Purty RSSO. (4/5)
#46 Martins JR. (4/4)
#93 Reed SR. (3/30)
#91 Goebel RSJR. (3/24)
#34 Bishop RSSO. (3/14)
#57 O'Connell RSFR. (2/2)
#56 Christian RSFR. (1/1)

P
#33 Neisner JR. (4/17)

dcannon12

Just saw the interview Fox had after the homecoming game.
My thoughts:
1.   He seemed nervous and Insecure-not good for a head coach
2.   He said he played Seewald to make the offense more efficient.
3.   Well with maybe the only team they could have beat this year that did not work
4.   Not Jimmy's fault, Duncan and Seewald have no time out there they basically are on their own no 0 line help.
5.   He's says he is playing Seewald Saturday too bad you can tell by watching he is still not healthy shoulder may be hurt again. Rotate Duncan in. 
6.   Lastly he seemed confident on one thing he knows the fields and locker rooms of the upcoming games...umm so what.

JD24

valpofb16

Yeesh trashing head coach , entire offense outside of your brother/son/nephew , trashing ickow, program, saying Jimmy is unhealthy when kid says he is, saying Duncan I transferring .

I'd be for a DCannon ban as an alumni who actually contributed to University/program. Let's hope mods get him out of here and Chris gets away from him

ml2

Quote from: dcannon12 on October 03, 2019, 01:52:46 PM
3.   Well with maybe the only team they could have beat this year that did not work

If you look at the results so far in the non-conference of the 8 PFL schools on our schedule, at least 4 (and maybe 5) of them are all probably the same or worse than UCharleston. Don't forget that Charleston has 36 full scholarships to give out and were picked 4th of 10 in their conference.

VULB#62

And as a personal observation, their nose tackle, number 9, would be a shoe in for PFL defensive player of the year. That kid should be in a legit full scholarship FCS program. He, single-handedly, destroyed our offense. U of C certainly lucked out with him.

usc4valpo

Banning dcannon or anyone critiquing the team? Seriously? So what is if he doesnt drink the Kool-Aid.

dcannon12

It's the truth but I will bow out since it bothers you . It's football talk I am surprised you all are so sensitive.
All 6 of you on this blog. 

usc4valpo

Dude, I am for open opinion and the truth...there are also others that over sugar coat the football situation. The Valpo football ecosystem needs a lot of help in several directions in order to be successful in a sustainable manner.

valpofb16

Bans harsh, when Chris gets his full ride offer from the transfer portal and starts at an FBS school next season he cam join their board.

Then we will be down to 5.

usc4valpo

In reality, even the legendary Eric Hoffman would struggle with this offense, which reminds me of a legendary John McKay post game press conference when he was head coach of the Tampa Bay Bucaneers.

VULB#62

usc4valpo

Reporter:"what do you think of your team's execution, coach?"
McKay: "I'm in favor of it."

I could not imagine a coach's mental capacity when transitioning from leading a college team to 4 national championships to an 0-14 team in the NFL. I guess humor helps, which we all need.

JD24

Quote from: usc4valpo on October 03, 2019, 06:25:28 PMIn reality, even the legendary Eric Hoffman would struggle with this offense, which reminds me of a legendary John McKay post game press conference when he was head coach of the Tampa Bay Bucaneers.
Funny but if you go back to 2012/13 threads, Eric wasn't thought of as being so legendary all the time.

John McKay had some great lines during his time with the Bucs. After a big loss: "I told our players that there were 700 million Chinese people in the world who didn't even know the game was played.  The next week, I got five letters from China asking "What happened?"

JD24

Quote from: dcannon12 on October 03, 2019, 05:04:03 PMIt's the truth but I will bow out since it bothers you . It's football talk I am surprised you all are so sensitive. All 6 of you on this blog.
I think we're all in for football talk however when said "football talk" always ends up with the conclusion of one poster that one player end up on the field it isn't hard to draw a lot of conclusions and make said "football talk" pretty irrelevant.

I'm not in favor of banning anyone over it however.

usc4valpo

Hoffman was a pick six kind of guy, but I think he is the all time yardage leader or close to it in Valpo football history.

JD24

Quote from: usc4valpo on October 04, 2019, 05:53:07 AMHoffman was a pick six kind of guy, but I think he is the all time yardage leader or close to it in Valpo football history.
He is.