• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

GAME #6: Dayton @ Valpo - 10/12, 1:00

Started by VULB#62, October 06, 2019, 09:29:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

It doesn't get any easier. Dayton put 56 up on Jacksonville. One positive thought is that Fox knows Dayton inside out and should be able to game plan against their O. Despite JU scoring 28, I have no similar thoughts on an offensive game plan.

vu72

After watching Jimmy play yesterday and watching his weak, in-accurate throws, I am now on board with handing the ball to Ben Nimz.  The kid is big, 6'4" with an unbelievable high school record.  He could be the guy for a long time.  Why not?  This ship is taking on water quickly and making a bold move may just be the answer.  Clearly Duncan and Jimmy will ot be back next year.

We have score four touchdowns in four games.  We performed worse against non-scholarship Drake than we did again scholarship Charleston and about the same as against scholarship Truman State.  Things are going in the wrong direction.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpofb16

I think the coaches will start who they think are the best options until week 8..

With new redshirt rules we should then let the kids play. We have to find what we have moving forward.

I don't believe any of the class of 2016 will be back for a fifth year. Im not sure anyone , I mean anyone thought we'd be here after 2017. Team was 6-5 and had 7 kids set to graduate 

Speaking of the young players on team, I'd be shocked if Annis doesn't finish 1-3 in tackles the next 3 years

valpofb16

#60 Andrew Lundberg and #90 Isaac Velasco have left the program. Wish them nothing but the best.

The best thing for this program is to get to 2020. Think we will be very very young to end the year.

usc4valpo

Time to start the freshmen and start recruiting - lots of opportunities right now at Valpo.

VULB#62

Quote from: valpofb16 on October 08, 2019, 01:00:34 PM
#60 Andrew Lundberg and #90 Isaac Velasco have left the program. Wish them nothing but the best.

The best thing for this program is to get to 2020. Think we will be very very young to end the year.

Despite the overall poor play of the OL, Lundberg, at 6-7, 270 and rated #1 at LT on the depth chart will be missed.

valpofb16

Agreed i was apart of the Carlson-Cecchini transition and I will say this.

Fox was put in an absolute unideal situation. The best thing he can do moving forward is keep the kids who have bought into him and bring in a large excited freshman class. Play the kids and focus on the here and now until program has stability. Then you can begin working on redshirting (Cecchini really didn't try for this until 2017, year 4 in the program). Unfortunately the team operated much better once the vast majority of Carlson recruits were removed from the program.

There is probably an extremely large chance that the entire offensive staff will be replaced moving forward with Fox's guys. The program is in its worst position since 2010. Although there are a very few things working for us.

1) Facilities are extremely upgraded from that time period and the AD has shown they are committed to winning in a Valpo sense of the phrase.
2) I believe Fox is much more qualified than Dale Carlson was and has a gameplan of how to become consistent (this may be a consistent 5-6 win team with the occasional 8 win season)
3) The defense from a YPG aspect has shown their ability to compete and only has 3 starters set to graduate.

These are all positive signs.

Now the negatives
1) Enrollment interest is approaching an all time low
2) An increase of scholarship providing programs in the midwest

Moral of the story. I believe Fox will eventually get to a competitive level.

JD24

Quote from: valpofb16 on October 08, 2019, 01:00:34 PM#60 Andrew Lundberg and #90 Isaac Velasco have left the program. Wish them nothing but the best. The best thing for this program is to get to 2020. Think we will be very very young to end the year.
I hope there was extenuating circumstances in a starter walking away in the middle of a season. At face value not so good.

NWIGuy

I have no real sense of the on-field performance of either of those kids, but...

It seems clear to me that the kind of kid that would quit on his teammates mid-season because things are tough is more likely to be part of the problem than part of the solution.

Next man up!

usc4valpo

there is no question Fox was given a bad hand. He is passionate, he is learning, he needs time, and he can f bomb with the best of them.

FWalum

Quote from: usc4valpo on October 09, 2019, 05:47:20 AM
there is no question Fox was given a bad hand. He is passionate, he is learning, he needs time, and he can f bomb with the best of them.
Fox was given a terrible hand, is very passionate, will learn and does need time.  He looks and sounds like a football coach... if that means dropping a few f bombs then so be it, I have no knowledge of his proclivity for doing so and wonder how this even became part of the conversation.  :-[
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

usc4valpo

Agreed, I am sharing my reflections from the Drake game. He seems like he cares and he expects winning - and he doesn't quote Osteen. He also has an awesome mullet haircut ala MIke Gundy and Mike Leach.

valpofb16

Fox won me over when he said "it doesn't matter if we're playing EKU or College of Charleston the expectation is to win"

I think he is extremely dedicated, passionate, and evidently at the very least a solid defensive coach

VULB#62

In the weekly interview, I was surprised to see Coach Fox actually smiling as the tape started rolling.  He hasn't been smiling much.  I think that is a good thing.  I also liked his reply when asked by Brandon about facing his previous team,  His first words:  "it's not about me." 

usc4valpo

Sagarin has Valpo a 26.5 dog at home.
Gotta love Valpo's media - in the pdf they have Lindbergh starting.

JD24

Quote from: usc4valpo on October 10, 2019, 06:01:05 PMSagarin has Valpo a 26.5 dog at home. Gotta love Valpo's media - in the pdf they have Lindbergh starting.
He's probably a better pilot.

As to Lundberg, he may not have left until after the game notes were put out which is Monday and all the media can do is report what the coaches tell them.

usc4valpo

Actually I was referring to
Lumbergh from office space. "If we could hold Dayton to under 42 points, that would be terrific..."

I wonder what  tomorrow's attendance will be at beautiful Brown Field as the chill has come to the Midwest.

IndyValpo

Quote from: usc4valpo on October 11, 2019, 05:30:31 PM
Actually I was referring to
Lumbergh from office space. "If we could hold Dayton to under 42 points, that would be terrific..."

I wonder what  tomorrow's attendance will be at beautiful Brown Field as the chill has come to the Midwest.
Replace terrific with great and you've got it. Love Office Space.

usc4valpo

After extensive and critical analysis, he also used "terrific". But I think today is Hawaiian shirt day at Brown Field, and hopefully after a good performance they won't have a bad case of the Mundays.

talksalot

Weather service posted a gale force wind warning for the area starting at 1pm.  Blowing hard from the West right now. 

VULB#62

Does this mean Chris will start?

[tweet]1183048866876329984[/tweet]

JD24

Cartales is out. Duncan's the QB.

Adam Trautman is fantastic.

VULB#62

JD24

Nice drive but I thought the playcalling inside the 5 was poor. Wrong run design for Boxrucker. Too long to develop for him. Ollie Reese is 6-2 or 6-3. How about throwing one up to him. I don't like series of playcalls which never put the ball in the endzone.

Missed the kick as well. At least the offense looks coherent. They have to lose the fake to J.D. Koehler. The defense doesn't even move for him. He's just not fast enough to respect him getting the ball.

Probably time to think about replacing the formerly very good kicker.

JD24

There we go. Duncan almost gets taken out by the referee.