• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

FB Recruiting 2020

Started by VULB#62, November 08, 2019, 08:21:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

Copied this off the PFL forum site. Interesting. Wonder how that got out there.

http://pflfan.proboards.com/thread/3666/recruiting-soon-resume

At least now I know what an official offer from Valpo looks like.

IndyValpo

Quote from: VULB#62 on November 08, 2019, 08:21:24 PM
Copied this off the PFL forum site. Interesting. Wonder how that got out there.

http://pflfan.proboards.com/thread/3666/recruiting-soon-resume

At least now I know what an official offer from Valpo looks like.
These are out on Twitter quite often

JD24

Question:

"I and my coaching staff...."

Is that sentence correct or is it just awkwardly written? I would think "My coach staff and I..." would be better. I don't recall seeing a sentence written that way and I don't think people would speak in that fashion.

usc4valpo

It sounds like several people should pay attention to Wierd Al Yankovik's "Word Crimes" video.

Valpo needs lots of talent and we need some good salesmen to escalate this program. 2 win seasons is unacceptable.

valpofb16

#62 had a thread with a commit already.

That being said wow, we have 15 people in the football offices and nobody catches that typo in the first sentence.

Yikes

IndyValpo

Quote from: JD24 on November 08, 2019, 10:20:03 PM
Question:

"I and my coaching staff...."

Is that sentence correct or is it just awkwardly written? I would think "My coach staff and I..." would be better. I don't recall seeing a sentence written that way and I don't think people would speak in that fashion.
I am not an English expert nor do I play one on TV but the internet which we all know is always correct indicates that the sentence is grammatically correct.

VULB#62

I think Fox could have worded it better. I think what he meant to express was "I, along with my coaching staff, ......"   but it's not really worth prolonging this element of the recruitment thread.

JD24

Quote from: IndyValpo on November 15, 2019, 10:47:48 AM
Quote from: JD24 on November 08, 2019, 10:20:03 PMQuestion: "I and my coaching staff...." Is that sentence correct or is it just awkwardly written? I would think "My coach staff and I..." would be better. I don't recall seeing a sentence written that way and I don't think people would speak in that fashion.
I am not an English expert nor do I play one on TV but the internet which we all know is always correct indicates that the sentence is grammatically correct.
Yeah. My comment was less that it wasn't gramatically correct and more that the phrasing just seems awkward. I can't recall anyone speaking in this manner and sometimes there are geographical differences in how words and phrasing are used.

vu72

Quote from: JD24 on November 15, 2019, 04:58:20 PM
Quote from: IndyValpo on November 15, 2019, 10:47:48 AM
Quote from: JD24 on November 08, 2019, 10:20:03 PMQuestion: "I and my coaching staff...." Is that sentence correct or is it just awkwardly written? I would think "My coach staff and I..." would be better. I don't recall seeing a sentence written that way and I don't think people would speak in that fashion.
Yeah. My comment was less that it wasn't gramatically correct and more that the phrasing just seems awkward. I can't recall anyone speaking in this manner and sometimes there are geographical differences in how words and phrasing are used.

[/b]

This why the Valpo forum is so unique.  Do you know of any, or have you ever heard of, a fan forum debating grammar? Only at Valpo!!  :clap: :clap: :clap:
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

bbtds

Quote from: VULB#62 on November 15, 2019, 12:49:04 PM
I think Fox could have worded it better. I think what he meant to express was "I, along with my coaching staff, ......"   but it's not really worth prolonging this element of the recruitment thread.

Agree, doesn't seem to have any effect at all when you correct anyone especially if they can blame it on auto correct.

Agree, no MORE prolonging the thread in this way.

valpofb16

New commit: Derek Byrd 6'5 312 offensive tackle, Bourbannais, ILL

Brother of RT Aaron Byrd

Other offers: Culver Stockton, Concordia, Oliver Nazarene

Team National Rank: 3589

Brings class to two
S-Dom Backes 5'11 190
OT-Derek Byrd 6'5 312

IndyValpo

Quote from: valpofb16 on November 17, 2019, 08:07:14 AM
New commit: Derek Byrd 6'5 312 offensive tackle, Bourbannais, ILL

Brother of RT Aaron Byrd

Other offers: Culver Stockton, Concordia, Oliver Nazarene

Team National Rank: 3589

Brings class to two
S-Dom Backes 5'11 190
OT-Derek Byrd 6'5 312
First OL of many to be signed. I have to believe that we will be looking JUCO for some immediate depth.

valpofb16

IndyValpo agreed but JUCO may be hardest sell for Valpo

Most kids go JUCO because they didn't have grades or though they deserved a scholarship

Valpo is actually the inverse of this as you need grades and no scholarship

IndyValpo

Quote from: valpofb16 on November 18, 2019, 08:32:02 AM
IndyValpo agreed but JUCO may be hardest sell for Valpo

Most kids go JUCO because they didn't have grades or though they deserved a scholarship

Valpo is actually the inverse of this as you need grades and no scholarship
Agreed though it will not be for lack of trying as we have offered 4 JC OL this week.

IndyValpo

This will be the most important recruiting class in the Fox era. It will be interesting to see how big the class will be.
We need probably at least 10 on the OL. As I mentioned previously we have multiple JUCO offers made.
Recruiting at this level is fascinating. To date we offers out to over 250 to land 30-40 players.

JD24

Quote from: IndyValpo on November 24, 2019, 12:11:54 PMThis will be the most important recruiting class in the Fox era. It will be interesting to see how big the class will be. We need probably at least 10 on the OL. As I mentioned previously we have multiple JUCO offers made. Recruiting at this level is fascinating. To date we offers out to over 250 to land 30-40 players.
Wouldn't it be closer to 50? I thought the overall numbers were down on the roster due to graduation and attrition.

covufan

Quote from: IndyValpo on November 24, 2019, 12:11:54 PM
This will be the most important recruiting class in the Fox era. It will be interesting to see how big the class will be.
We need probably at least 10 on the OL. As I mentioned previously we have multiple JUCO offers made.
Recruiting at this level is fascinating. To date we offers out to over 250 to land 30-40 players.
I don't know why this is the most important recruiting class of the Fox era, other than it is the first that he and his staff have been involved throughout the whole recruiting year. Important yes. Retaining players that will impact the two deep roster, getting a few impactful recruits on each side of the ball, and finding players that will take a year or two to develop should be all that is expected

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

valpofb16

89 kids on roster 18 seniors 71/110 spots are filled theoretically

I agree with the above post retention is a necessity to compete consistently. I also agree we need OL bad.

With two recruits committed and 71 set to return appears we have 37 roster spots as of this second. Will know more when we get another spring roster

JD24

Quote from: valpofb16 on November 25, 2019, 12:52:22 PM89 kids on roster 18 seniors 71/110 spots are filled theoretically I agree with the above post retention is a necessity to compete consistently. I also agree we need OL bad. With two recruits committed and 71 set to return appears we have 37 roster spots as of this second. Will know more when we get another spring roster
So that means 39 open spots at the moment and there will be some attrition even if it is or maybe because it is players who aren't really counted on at the moment. It would be remarkable if there isn't some attrition. So would you figure 45 recruits to fill out the roster?

IndyValpo

Recruits on campus this weekend.

valpofb16

Indyvalpo can concur

Two official visit weekends in December, Three in January.

Right now looking at a class in the low 40's in numbers. If we are somewhere in the mid 20's at signing day I will be happy.

Seems to be a trend but about 1/3 of our recruits come after signing day. Will probably not know roster until August

valpofb16

New commit: Landon Robbins 6'0 220 Columbus North, IN

Other Offers: Olivet Nazarene , Rose Hulman

Team National Rank: 2244

Commits:

DB-Backes
OL-Byrd
LB-Robbins

valpofb16

New Commit: Sean Carpenter OL 6'5 280
Fenwick, Illinois

Other offers: N/A

National Rank: 2874

Commits:

DB-Backes
OL-Byrd
OL-Carpenter
LB-Robbins

JD24

Quote from: valpofb16 on December 09, 2019, 07:09:08 PMNew commit: Landon Robbins 6'0 220 Columbus North, IN
Had to be the name.

valpofb16

New Commit: DE Chase Folkestad 6'1 230 O'Connor HS, Phoenix, AZ

Other Offers: Southwest Baptist, Minnesota Crookston, Saint Anslem, Western Colorado, Pacific, Fort Lewis

HS National Rank: 2335

Commits:
OL-Carpenter
OL-Byrd
DE-Folkestad
LB-Robbins
DB- Backes