• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Non-Conference games 2020/2021 season

Started by tiny707, January 10, 2020, 12:57:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpotx

We might have a chance to steal one at an SEC program, with the COVID-restricted audience.  We tend to falter in front of big crowds.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VUGrad1314

My apologies for any initial complaints. I guess I wish we'd schedule like Northern Iowa is doing right now on a regular basis. But our schedule actually is comparable or better than that of Evansville and blows Drake's out of the water.

Here's Evansville's:

@Louisville
Prairie View A&M (Louisville MTE)
@UT-Martin
IUPUI
Eastern Illinois
@St Louis
SEMO
Belmont

Here's Drake's:

@Kansas State
South Dakota (KSU MTE)
Omaha
St Ambrose (Non D1)
McKendree (Non D1)
Air Force
@ South Dakota
Chicago State
North Dakota

VALPO LI

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on November 20, 2020, 08:41:25 AM
My apologies for any initial complaints. I guess I wish we'd schedule like Northern Iowa is doing right now on a regular basis. But our schedule actually is comparable or better than that of Evansville and blows Drake's out of the water.

Here's Evansville's:

@Louisville
Prairie View A&M (Louisville MTE)
@UT-Martin
IUPUI
Eastern Illinois
@St Louis
SEMO
Belmont

Here's Drake's:

@Kansas State
South Dakota (KSU MTE)
Omaha
St Ambrose (Non D1)
McKendree (Non D1)
Air Force
@ South Dakota
Chicago State
North Dakota

And Missouri State!!!
Shine on Vu

elephtheria47

No fans for MBB and WBB games in Nov/Dec, which is basically the out of conference portion of the schedules.

VU75

talksalot

For those with a dry-erase marker for the schedule... Trinity INTERNATIONAL has suspended basketball operations for the rest of 2020... I understand we've already replaced them with another D-III... awaiting official word.

FMRBallB

Long time reader new poster:  Really like this schedule.   Anytime we get two Power 5 schools and three MAC schools that is good. Plus you want two low Division 1 games that you have a good chance to win to help the record.  Not thrilled with the two NAIA games but understand it this year.  Looks like travel considerations played a big role this year.

VALPO LI

Quote from: talksalot on November 23, 2020, 10:24:46 AM
For those with a dry-erase marker for the schedule... Trinity INTERNATIONAL has suspended basketball operations for the rest of 2020... I understand we've already replaced them with another D-III... awaiting official word.

Eastern Illinois was scheduled to travel to the Hoosier state to play at Butler on the same day but Butler's program is on pause.  This would be good game to pick up.
Shine on Vu

VUBBFan

It would be nice if we could pick this offer up as a home game with Notre Dame

https://twitter.com/hoops_mvc/status/1332535167416741891

https://twitter.com/Valpo_Hoops/status/1332515238533541889

valporun

VUBBFan

Quote from: valporun on November 29, 2020, 10:28:43 AMWe have Purdue on the 4th.

Should not make a difference.

MTE's usually run three games in a row. Conference tournaments go three games in a row (for winners). Our conference games this year are going to be back to back days. We have the 5th open and he said they would travel, so let's go for it and see if they'll come to the ARC. Three games in a row is hard but Basketball is hard too.

Just don't want a golden opportunity go by without at least looking into it.

vusupporter

We also have had a much shorter preseason of practices due to quarantines - not sure it would be the best idea, health-wise, to run guys out there for 3 games in 43 hours.

valporun

We already have 4 games over 8 days scheduled. We don't need to risk health with a 5th game in 8 days, regardless of who wants/needs a game that weekend.

JD24

Quote from: VUBBFan on November 29, 2020, 11:54:32 AM
Quote from: valporun on November 29, 2020, 10:28:43 AMWe have Purdue on the 4th.
Should not make a difference. MTE's usually run three games in a row. Conference tournaments go three games in a row (for winners). Our conference games this year are going to be back to back days. We have the 5th open and he said they would travel, so let's go for it and see if they'll come to the ARC. Three games in a row is hard but Basketball is hard too. Just don't want a golden opportunity go by without at least looking into it.
Golden opportunity for what? Another loss plus potential medical issues due to lack of recovery?

valporun

Quote from: JD24 on November 29, 2020, 03:07:04 PM
Quote from: VUBBFan on November 29, 2020, 11:54:32 AM
Should not make a difference. MTE's usually run three games in a row. Conference tournaments go three games in a row (for winners). Our conference games this year are going to be back to back days. We have the 5th open and he said they would travel, so let's go for it and see if they'll come to the ARC. Three games in a row is hard but Basketball is hard too. Just don't want a golden opportunity go by without at least looking into it.
Golden opportunity for what? Another loss plus potential medical issues due to lack of recovery?

My concern isn't about a loss, but 5 games in 8 days with no real chance to monitor health.

wh

The MORE time the team spends together isolated from the outside world, the LOWER the risk of someone catching COVID and spreading it among team members. The SAFEST days are GAME days. Thus, relative to COVID risk, the MORE games in the same period the BETTER.

Pgmado

Quote from: wh on November 29, 2020, 04:07:54 PM
The MORE time the team spends together isolated from the outside world, the LOWER the risk of someone catching COVID and spreading it among team members. The SAFEST days are GAME days. Thus, relative to COVID risk, the MORE games in the same period the BETTER.

Vandy player had COVID and played. They are out of tourney next week.

valporun

Lucky for Valpo, the only students still around campus are the women's basketball team, and any students who can't go home because of distance and Covid issues in their home states.

wh

Quote from: Pgmado on November 29, 2020, 04:26:26 PM

Im afraid you missed my point, but no big deal.

justducky

Quote from: wh on November 29, 2020, 04:54:01 PM

Im afraid you missed my point, but no big deal.

I will hope for the best but expect the worst.

JD24

Quote from: wh on November 29, 2020, 04:07:54 PMThe MORE time the team spends together isolated from the outside world, the LOWER the risk of someone catching COVID and spreading it among team members. The SAFEST days are GAME days. Thus, relative to COVID risk, the MORE games in the same period the BETTER.
That's right. Let's play a game every day. Perfect health for everyone and Lakeside Orthopedics will be running a brisk business!

wh

Quote from: JD24 on November 29, 2020, 07:49:21 PM
Quote from: wh on November 29, 2020, 04:07:54 PMThe MORE time the team spends together isolated from the outside world, the LOWER the risk of someone catching COVID and spreading it among team members. The SAFEST days are GAME days. Thus, relative to COVID risk, the MORE games in the same period the BETTER.
That's right. Let's play a game every day. Perfect health for everyone and Lakeside Orthopedics will be running a brisk business!

I appreciate your concern for player safety, but playing multiple games in a short time frame is nothing unusual in college basketball. Think back to last season. The Crusaders played 4 games in 4 days in August, 3 games in 4 days in November, and 4 games in 4 days in March.

valpotx

How did this happen?  Don't they test up to and on gameday??
"Don't mess with Texas"

VALPO LI

Notre Dame looked East instead of West!
While the allure of playing Notre Dame was appealing, the timing was off.  Time to stay focused on a big week of basketball!!!!

https://twitter.com/NDmbb/status/1333512005072904196
Shine on Vu

talksalot

Take out your whiteboard dry eraser...

Erase:    Wednesday 12/16 MENS game with Eastern Michigan (* will be 2021-22 Home game).  EMU played Adrian the other day with 6 players unavailable... and beat them by 60.

Hold your marker... and wait for it...  don't know what IT is...

The Women's Game on Wednesday at 1pm Vs. Xavier in the ARC ought to be fun !