• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #7 Purdue NW at Valpo 6:30 p.m./5:30 p.m. Thursday, December 17, 2020 ESPN3

Started by bbtds, December 15, 2020, 09:29:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbtds

https://www.google.com/amp/s/makeagif.com/amp/aYyzOP

I hope we figure out which Mileek enters the ARC early on Thursday.

bbtds

Anyone give a hoot about this game?

Should we have just cancelled it due to the opponent not being legitimate enough?

vu72

Quote from: bbtds on December 16, 2020, 01:10:12 PM
Anyone give a hoot about this game?

Should we have just cancelled it due to the opponent not being legitimate enough?

All games are important with this young team.  Rotations and roles need to be finalized.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

humbleopinion

I looked at PNW's roster and was surprised to see that there are no players from the region on the team.
Beamin' Beacons

NativeCheesehead

Only two things matter this season:

1. Player development
2. Player retention

These young men develop as players and don't transfer, we should be one of the favorites for Arch Madness 2022. If not, might as well refer to Lottich as Tom Smith 2.0   

JBC1824

Lazing around in the shadow of bombs

bbtds

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on December 16, 2020, 07:59:01 PM
Only two things matter this season:

1. Player development
2. Player retention

These young men develop as players and don't transfer, we should be one of the favorites for Arch Madness 2022. If not, might as well refer to Lottich as Tom Smith 2.0   

Again, too negative to do anyone any good. They will do better than what you are predicting.

JBC1824

Too negative to do anyone any good?

Are you saying the "negativity" expressed on this forum is having an impact on the team? Or that negativity, in general, is detrimental to a team's success?

Some of the most succesful coaches in sports' history are notorious for down right degrading their players... Belichick, Popovich, Knight, Saban.

And in light of that, I'd argue a little negativity when deserved is more likely to improve things than have the opposite effect.

Lazing around in the shadow of bombs

M

This about the 5th year in a row we've had people saying it's a young team and encouraged to wait just another year or two and then they will be contending for the top spot. 

Just win - don't care how, don't care by how much...just win!

vu72

Quote from: M on December 17, 2020, 12:55:45 PM
This about the 5th year in a row we've had people saying it's a young team and encouraged to wait just another year or two and then they will be contending for the top spot. 

Agree that this isn't a "young" team.  We have three 5th year Seniors , one Senior and a starting Junior.  The problem isn't the age of players it is the age of players being counted on to win. Mileek (a Senior) and Zion (a 5th year Senior) basicly haven't seen the floor.  We are relying on three freshman and two Sophomores for 61% of our scoring.

So the "team" isn't young but the guys actually playing are indeed young.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

wh

Rather than generalize, let's examine the facts. At the end of last season, we thought we were losing only 2 key players - Fazekas and Kiser.  That left us with a lot to build on, including league MVP runner up and tournament MVP Javon Freeman-Liberty, who publicly assured everyone he was returning. Subsequently, that fell through, and suddenly we're down 3 starters. Fast forward to the new season, and Mileek suddenly disappears after a handful of typical feast or famine games (more famine than feast). Now we're down 4 starters. That's 58% of last year's minutes and 65% of last year's scoring. Bottom line - we had a pretty strong hand; now we don't.  Fortunately, we're playing 5 card draw with a lot of good cards still in the deck.   

Afterthought - I believe this team is full of high character guys led by high character coaches. Three guys I'm especially pulling for this year are Eron, Nick and Mileek. These guys went through a heck of an ordeal when Matt had to clean house, but their loyalty to the program, their teammates, and their coaches never waivered. I hope they have a rewarding season. They've earned it. 

bbtds

Quote from: wh on December 17, 2020, 01:54:04 PM

Rather than generalize, let's examine the facts. At the end of last season, we thought we were losing only 2 key players - Fazekas and Kiser.  That left us with a lot to build on, including league MVP runner up and tournament MVP Javon Freeman-Liberty, who publicly assured everyone he was returning. Subsequently, that fell through, and suddenly we're down 3 starters. Fast forward to the new season, and Mileek suddenly disappears after a handful of typical feast or famine games (more famine than feast). Now we're down 4 starters. That's 58% of last year's minutes and 65% of last year's scoring. Bottom line - we had a pretty strong hand; now we don't.  Fortunately, we're playing 5 card draw with a lot of good cards still in the deck.   

Afterthought - I believe this team is full of high character guys led by high character coaches. Three guys I'm especially pulling for this year are Eron, Nick and Mileek. These guys went through a heck of an ordeal when Matt had to clean house, but their loyalty to the program, their teammates, and their coaches never waivered. I hope they have a rewarding season. They've earned it. 

Extremely positive, thanks!

I too wish these three some success in their college career.

I know it makes us feel good about expectations when we hold the program, including the coaches, staff & players, accountable. This season is different and I think their success will pleasantly surprise all of us when the time comes. What can you really do anyway to help this year. Watch & hope!

justducky

Quote from: wh on December 17, 2020, 01:54:04 PMAfterthought - I believe this team is full of high character guys led by high character coaches. Three guys I'm especially pulling for this year are Eron, Nick and Mileek. These guys went through a heck of an ordeal when Matt had to clean house, but their loyalty to the program, their teammates, and their coaches never waivered. I hope they have a rewarding season. They've earned it. 

Despite their notable shortcomings I am glad all three decided to wear Valpo uniforms. On top of this it wouldn't surprise me if any or all finished up Feb and March looking like 2020 Kiser and Fazekas! Plenty of time left for them to find that kind of groove.

NativeCheesehead

I appreciate the scheduling craziness of this year, and obviously I say the following without knowing the PNW protocols: I question the wisdom of playing a commuter school in this environment.

AlaskaCrusader19

Well, it's a win, right? I'm a little disappointed at how poorly Valpo came out for the second half. Unfortunately, I'm just not sure that this team will be able to avoid the first day of Arch Madness. Hope I'm wrong!

nkvu

Don't think that performance will scare future opponents too much.  Nice game from Robinson though. And we shot free throws pretty well too.

justducky

Quote from: truth219 on December 17, 2020, 05:56:40 PM
This game is useless..PNW is horrible.
That one kid looked like he could get minutes with a number of Valley teams and the rest of their team moved the ball well and played solid defense. On our end Krikke and Edwards clearly played down to the competition and I expect that Matt will remember their efforts.

In a normal year I wouldn't have even watched a game with PNW but now any scrimmage partner is better than a blank spot in the schedule.

I didn't hear any comment on Goodnews. Anybody know anything?

VUGrad1314

Matt is in no position to risk alienating recent recruits especially Krikke.  Who is likely going to be our second or third best player going forward. He better not upset any of the young guys.

VALPO LI

Quote from: nkvu on December 17, 2020, 07:37:45 PM
Don't think that performance will scare future opponents too much.  Nice game from Robinson though. And we shot free throws pretty well too.

This article is a nice piece that highlights Robinson's game last night.

https://www.nwitimes.com/sports/college/valparaiso-university/robinson-puts-advice-into-action-to-lead-valparaiso/article_f766a2e6-9e96-50f1-998c-b398ae729944.html
Shine on Vu

vu72

Quote from: justducky on December 17, 2020, 08:21:38 PM
I didn't hear any comment on Goodnews. Anybody know anything?

Luke said in the pre-game that he had an ankle issue. Could have played but didn't need to.

wh

I listened to the radio broadcast in the 1st half on my way home. I also had to listen to an entire earlier game because I was traveling. The radio guys are great. From what I gather they're VU students and roommates. They're funny, entertaining and professional all wrapped up in one.  They come totally prepared to call a fast moving game and know a lot about the players. I believe one of them said he's on the golf team in conjunction with a comment about Conner being a very good golfer. Connor has shot a 72, etc. The other guy teased him about Conner being a better golfer than he (student announcer) is a bb player, which he jokingly took offense to. A really good college announcing team.

vusupporter

PNW led Ohio by 4 at the half and was within 3 of Bowling Green at the half in their other 2 games. BG and Ohio were picked 1-2 in the MAC this year.

vu72

Quote from: wh on December 18, 2020, 09:44:00 AM
I listened to the radio broadcast in the 1st half on my way home. I also had to listen to an entire earlier game because I was traveling. The radio guys are great. From what I gather they're VU students and roommates. They're funny, entertaining and professional all wrapped up in one.  They come totally prepared to call a fast moving game and know a lot about the players. I believe one of them said he's on the golf team in conjunction with a comment about Conner being a very good golfer. Connor has shot a 72, etc. The other guy teased him about Conner being a better golfer than he (student announcer) is a bb player, which he jokingly took offense to. A really good college announcing team.
[/b]

That's  Garrett Willis who has been the Medalist at several tournaments for the Golf Team and is a Communications major.