• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

What will the nickname be

Started by IndyValpo, August 09, 2021, 12:13:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which nickname will be chosen

Dunehawks
13 (50%)
Tempest
1 (3.8%)
Storm
4 (15.4%)
Gold
7 (26.9%)
Lightning
1 (3.8%)
Lightning Hawks
0 (0%)
Sparks
0 (0%)
Beacons
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Voting closed: August 10, 2021, 12:13:43 PM

VUBBFan

valpotx

Still refuse to call us Beacons, even though I know that it won't change.  Even several months in, it still sounds so terrible.  Even the opposing announcers struggle to get it out.
"Don't mess with Texas"

wh

Meet UMass Boston's mascot BOBBY BEACON:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=jh-5xhOHw1I&feature=share

I wouldn't change a thing other than the colors, and maybe the name from Bobby Beacon to Beckett Beacon (androgynous). I can't wait!!

Of course, I'm kidding. I am curious to see what the university decides for a mascot to represent Beacons. I wonder if it's under development?

valpo64

There is nothing like adding more embarrassment and ridicule to our new nickname with the addition of an even more ridiculous mascot.  "We don't need no stupid mascot" now that we have a stupid nickname.  Let's hope our play this year will make everyone forget our nickname.

wh

Trying to find anything with a connection to Beacons, I found an article from 2015 announcing a contest to design the best mascot for Beacon College.

Beacon News
Select Our Mascot: Voting Now Open

"The entire College community was invited to submit a design, along with an explanation for why the mascot would best represent Beacon College."

I kind of like something akin to the one called "Flame" or "Flare" as it's referred to in the description.

Any thoughts? Just trying to make a very sour topic a little more lighthearted (if that's possible lol).

https://www.beaconcollege.edu/student-news/2015/04/select-our-mascot-voting-now-open/

vu72

Quote from: wh on October 25, 2021, 11:45:43 AM
Trying to find anything with a connection to Beacons, I found an article from 2015 announcing a contest to design the best mascot for Beacon College.

Beacon News
Select Our Mascot: Voting Now Open

"The entire College community was invited to submit a design, along with an explanation for why the mascot would best represent Beacon College."

I kind of like something akin to the one called "Flame" or "Flare" as it's referred to in the description.

Any thoughts? Just trying to make a very sour topic a little more lighthearted (if that's possible lol).

https://www.beaconcollege.edu/student-news/2015/04/select-our-mascot-voting-now-open/

As we all know the mascot does not have to have anything to do with the nickname.  The Alabama Crimson Tide Elephants as an example.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vuny98

Quote from: vu72 on October 25, 2021, 02:04:57 PM
Quote from: wh on October 25, 2021, 11:45:43 AMTrying to find anything with a connection to Beacons, I found an article from 2015 announcing a contest to design the best mascot for Beacon College. Beacon News Select Our Mascot: Voting Now Open "The entire College community was invited to submit a design, along with an explanation for why the mascot would best represent Beacon College." I kind of like something akin to the one called "Flame" or "Flare" as it's referred to in the description. Any thoughts? Just trying to make a very sour topic a little more lighthearted (if that's possible lol). https://www.beaconcollege.edu/student-news/2015/04/select-our-mascot-voting-now-open/
As we all know the mascot does not have to have anything to do with the nickname.  The Alabama Crimson Tide Elephants as an example.
So if I am hearing you correctly, you are saying we can still have the Crusader as our mascot!
(sarcasm/wishful thinking)

crusader05

I could definitely see a "flame bearer" type character. I tend to like the ridiculous mascots or animal ones. So let's combine it and have it be like a lighting bug. Maybe one of those fish that live deep in the ocean and use the flashlight on their head to lure and eat little fish

wh

https://twitter.com/barstool_valpo/status/1441760518604312577?s=20

This gave me idea. Valpo HS's team name is Vikings. They also use Vikes for short. In common use the Beacons could be referred to as the Beacs. The mascot could be called Beac/Beacy/Beacie to reinforce the shorter name. Just a thought.

Bring out the long knives. lol

Just Sayin

bbtds

I think most of us missed it because we were concentrating on our own name change.

Recently on September 30, 2021 the Capital University Crusaders Div. III changed their nickname from Crusaders to Capital Comets.

https://www.dispatch.com/story/news/education/2021/09/30/capital-university-retires-old-mascot-become-comets/5935690001/

In July, Capital's board of trustees approved a resolution to change the university's nickname and mascot following "a 15-month process of study, discussion and reflection," according to a release at the time.

"We believe that the University nickname and mascot should be a unifying symbol that enhances school spirit and pride for all who are affiliated with Capital," the release said. "In recent years, our nickname has been challenged by students and faculty for its connection to the historic Crusades. The detailed study found a significant portion of the Capital Family shares this perspective."

A contingent of Capital alums and current undergrads had been pushing a write-in candidate for consideration: the Capital Capybaras, a nod to the world's largest species of rodent. A change.com petition circulated earlier this year to add the Capybaras to the list of finalists.

The group said the four finalists were "unoriginal, overused and indistinct" options; they wanted something that would make Capital stand out among other liberal arts schools.

Valpo Joe

VULB#62

I didn't want to mess up other recent threads, so I resurrected this old one. 

I was on hiatus when the athletic nickname and mascot came up and never had a chance to weigh in. Thought I'd belatedly add my  :twocents:

Forever in the broad scheme of things athletic (duh, on line colleges without athletic programs do not have mascots), school nicknames and mascots have been intended to be a fun thing to rally around and take pride in. They're meant to be a emotional release mechanism at athletic events. Most generally, they are not meant to promote subtle, boring agendas. In the heat of competition, they are meant to produce excitement and inspiration.

But I can understand and appreciate the sensitve nature of a nickname and mascot that might evoke negative triggers. I mean, good grief, for as long as I can remember, I was very offended by the Washington Commanders' previous nickname. So, despite the positive characteristics evoked by a generic crusader, I understood the movement to go in a different direction. 

But an inanimate, energy-absent object — a beacon?  Yeah, it sends a message. A very dull, unathletic one. It's a great lead in for university inspirational academic articles, symposia, lectures, or endowment fund drives, but it goes nowhere in inspiring a fan base with 1 minute to go and Valpo with the ball and down by one. And a pair of docile, friendly household pet mascots can't overcome that perception.   It is all so passive.

The nickname/mascot change was one of President Padilla's first public decisions. He caved into the far left instead of finding a moderate road answer that would involve and satisfy the widest range of Valpo students, alums and friends. Thinking later about that decision I thought, wait, Padilla most recently was a Blue Demon at a religious university. Holy cow, was he previously a satanist?!? Was he overcompensating for previous sins?

Anyway, as we try to negotiate the next several months of turmoil, it has become evident that also contributing to the overall equation is a negative vibe about the nickname and mascot(s) for their passivity and lack of fun, enjoyment and inspiration.  It is only one factor, but contributory.   In the long run, this mistake is one of several that have to be recognized, accounted for and rectified in order for Valpo to be taken seriously again.

Go Dune Hawks! Or Koalas! Or Banana Slugs (oops that's taken)! Or whatever except Beacons!

usc4valpo

I can live with the name change to the Beacons. It's the stupid mascots that is fricking embarrassing where I draw the line. I took a lot of grief from family and friends over this. I actually thought this was announced in an article from the Onion or some humor media source.

IndyValpo

Quote from: usc4valpo on January 14, 2023, 06:12:58 AM
I can live with the name change to the Beacons. It's the stupid mascots that is fricking embarrassing where I draw the line. I took a lot of grief from family and friends over this. I actually thought this was announced in an article from the Onion or some humor media source.
I am just curious what you mean by a lot of grief. Did they hound you for days?

For the record I have no problem with a dog (I would only have one). When a bobble head comes out I will put it next to my Crusader.

I seriously doubt we lose close games because of fan apathy towards the mascots.

usc4valpo

The mascots are too cuddly, too lame and overly woke. Looks like something from a book I used to read to my daughters when they were toddlers before bedtime.

valpofb16

First full fiscal year as Beacs coming to a close this summer.

I expect a much larger enrollment of students since we took our stand against evil.

Valpo89

There was a man in the band, who appeared to be older than a student, wearing a Crusader shirt last night. They showed him on TV - I stayed home to watch the broadcast but listened to Todd on the radio. Didn't want to listen to Kaplan.

valpo64

I don't understand why one doesn't want to listen to Dave Kaplan...he knows everything about everything.   Just ask him.

usc4valpo

How would Bill Walton react broadcasting a game at the ARC? He would complain the school is a truck stop.

valpo64

Other than himself, does anyone really care what Bill Walton says?

IndyValpo

Quote from: valpo64 on January 19, 2023, 09:28:57 AM
Other than himself, does anyone really care what Bill Walton says?
You beat me to it. I can't watch a game that he is on.

usc4valpo

I think Bill Walton is a joy to listen to as he goes all over the place, doesn't make the broadcast a metric-thon and has a different perspective on things. He is off the wall for sure. But he is very knowledgeable about the game and one of the greatest and smartest college players ever. I wish Valpo could hire him as a consultant to teach fundamental skills like rebounding technique.

Bill Walton is like listening to Les Claypool and Primus - you either love them or you hate them.

vu84v2

Quote from: usc4valpo on January 19, 2023, 07:47:05 AM
How would Bill Walton react broadcasting a game at the ARC? He would complain the school is a truck stop.

I cannot say that I really enjoy Bill Walton's color commentary, but he goes out of his way to talk about the positive aspects of universities and my guess is that is what he would do if he ever covered a Valpo game (home or away). He has done games for my other two teams in the last few years and I have never heard a color commentator promote those schools like he did.