• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo vs Toledo 11/9 @ 6pm ARC

Started by VUSWIM08-12, November 08, 2021, 08:03:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VUSWIM08-12

Valpo coming in at +4. Let's put those exhibition games behind us and come out with a win. What's the latest on Krikke ? Anyone know ?

Valpo 76
Toledo 74

Valpo Joe

Toledo puts out the light!  Toledo 76 - Valpo (Freakin' Beacons) 57  :o

tjjvalpo

For Valpo to win, two things have to happen:

1. Krikke has to play
2. We have learn that the intensity that you bring on defense the last 4 minutes has to be more than your competition. Something that was sorely missing against Flagler. We should never lose a game at home when we are up by 6 points at the last media timeout. It is "our house" and we have own our home games.

Valpo Joe

"Door Matt" will be out coached once again!!!! Glory days of Valpo Bball are over!!!! Time to go back to D2 where they belong.

wh

Quote from: Valpo Joe on November 08, 2021, 09:15:20 PM
I sure hope I'm wrong, but "Door Matt" will be out coached once again!!!! Glory days of Valpo Bball are over!!!! Time to go back to D2 where they belong.

There, I fixed it for you. You sounded almost giddy.

bbtds

Toledo    75
Valpo     72

Valpo improves greatly compared to their exhibition losses and having Krikke back helps a bunch but they aren't quite all the way there yet and lose the game by 3.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: Valpo Joe on November 08, 2021, 09:15:20 PM"Door Matt" will be out coached once again!!!! Glory days of Valpo Bball are over!!!! Time to go back to D2 where they belong.

Be skeptical of Matt as a coach all you wish Be as concerned about the future of the program and whether the glory days are officially over all you like. Lord knows that I am concerned about both of these things but suggesting that we should drop to D2 is ridiculous and laughable.

VU75

Quote from: Valpo Joe on November 08, 2021, 09:15:20 PM"Door Matt" will be out coached once again!!!! Glory days of Valpo Bball are over!!!! Time to go back to D2 where they belong

A question here...are you actually aware of the real Valpo Joe?

tjjvalpo

Ok, after reading about Toledo, (I hope I am wrong) but I think we will be lucky to be within 10.

Toledo 80
Valpo  70

wh

Obviously, we are much stronger with Ben starting and playing 28-30 minutes. Better rotations, more scoring punch, more depth, better interior defense, opens up the perimeter, fewer scoring droughts, etc. Without knowing whether he is going to play or if he'll be 100% if he does play, it's hard to know what to think. Without him there will be little margin for error. We need to shoot well from 3, play physical defense, stay out of foul trouble, and get a big performance from Sheldon (not as much freelancing as E-1 but more than E-2).

vu72

Quote from: Valpo Joe on November 08, 2021, 09:15:20 PM
"Door Matt" will be out coached once again!!!! Glory days of Valpo Bball are over!!!! Time to go back to D2 where they belong.

Now that is funny!   :rotfl: And also really stupid.   >:(
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vu72

Quote from: wh on November 09, 2021, 08:36:38 AMWithout knowing whether he is going to play

Todd said on Saturday that Ben will play.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

covufan

Put the exhibition games behind us. Play a full forty minutes as a team. Set the tempo and defensive energy immediately. Play as a team. Win as a team.

Valpo 78 Toledo 74

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bb33

I think the team make a large leap from game one to game two.   I feel they are still figuring how to play together and how to work the offense (of which you know I am not a fan). Big Ben is back.  Add Kevion shooting like he is suppose to, I think we can pull out the win.  65-63.

There should be great student support tonight, at least that is what I am hearing.  I think a win tonight will jumpstart the season. 

NativeCheesehead

Yeah, "Joe" let's not turn into one of those fanbases who roots against our own team to be right. I've been very open that I don't think Matt is the guy. However, nothing would please me more than to be toasting a Bud Light on Sunday in STL at Maggie O's after the MVC title game and saying "Damn was I WRONG about that guy!"

SanityLost17

In case we lose a hard fought game by 4-6 points  (my prediciton).    Just a reminder that that is progress and we can look positively about that result if we chose to.   

Toledo returns a lot of players from a very good mid-major team from last year.   They are going to be solid this year.   

IndyEIT777

I'm definitely guilty of drinking the kool-aid going into our exhibitions. I do think this team is better than what we showed in the those two games, but a couple of things worry me.

1) Krikke and Kithier got next to no playing time in the two exhibition games. Obviously Valpo is better with Krikke on the floor, but is there still a learning curve in game action between those two that's going to bite us in these first couple of games?

2) While I think Kithier is a big upgrade in terms of rebounding for us, I'm not convinced the other issues during the Lottich era aren't going to be fixed for tonight and for a large portion of the season. Are we going to be turnover prone? Is our offense going to continue to be stagnant? Are we going to have non-scoring droughts lasting 6-8 minutes constantly? Nothing in the two exhibition games made me feel better about any of those problems.

For tonight, I definitely hope I'm wrong and can feel more excited about this team tomorrow, but I'm going to say:

Toledo 70
Valpo 57

vu72

Quote from: bb33 on November 09, 2021, 08:58:01 AMI feel they are still figuring how to play together

Totally agree.  Think about it. We almost beat one of the best D2's in the country without Ben, Conner or Kobe for that matter.  Our starting five had played one game together.  It will only get better and I expect a win tonight.

justducky

Quote from: vu72 on November 09, 2021, 09:36:38 AMWe almost beat one of the best D2's in the country without Ben, Conner or Kobe for that matter.

There are definite advantages in falling off the radar screen with 2 D2 losses! I hate putting any numbers on this one but I am expecting a solid and exciting performance. I can't be there but am leaning very slightly towards Valpo.  :thumbsup:

NotBryceDrew

Regardless of what we think about tonight the best chance we have is to pack the ARC. If your driving in fill the car, have friends in the region call them up, know students at the university tell them you can't wait to see them there. If the ARC is rocking we can beat anyone!

Just Sayin

QuoteCLEVELAND, Ohio - The Mid-American Conference released its annual men's basketball preseason poll on Wednesday and defending champion Toledo has been picked to finish third, according to voting from the league's 12 head coaches. In addition, sophomore guard Ryan Rollins was named to the Preseason All-MAC First Team squad after earning MAC Freshman of the Year honors last year.

The Rockets received 107 points in the poll, trailing only Buffalo (143 pts.) and Ohio (126 pts.). Toledo was one of five different schools to collect votes to capture the MAC Tournament title at Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse in Cleveland. Buffalo led the way with eight votes the Rockets joining Bowling Green, Kent State and Miami with one vote apiece.

Toledo posted a 21-9 win-loss record and a 15-4 mark in conference play last year and finished two games ahead of second-place Buffalo in the league standings. Rollins averaged 13.7 ppg, 5.2 rpg and 2.5 apg last year and was the only sophomore to be included on the pre-season all-league squad.

Toledo's regular season begins when it visits Valparaiso on Tuesday, Nov. 9. The Rockets' home opener will be against Detroit Mercy on Saturday, Nov. 13.

nkvu

Quote from: SanityLost17 on November 09, 2021, 09:16:10 AM
In case we lose a hard fought game by 4-6 points  (my prediciton).    Just a reminder that that is progress and we can look positively about that result if we chose to.   

Toledo returns a lot of players from a very good mid-major team from last year.   They are going to be solid this year.   

I'm kind of in the same place. For the second game in a row, I think the team will play better but it may not matter. If they win I'll be surprised and pleased. If they lose by less than seven I'll be satisfied. Losing by more than that would be a disappointment. Needless to say I've lowered my expectations for early success. This team needs time to get it together.

vu72

Quote from: nkvu on November 09, 2021, 12:41:48 PM
Quote from: SanityLost17 on November 09, 2021, 09:16:10 AM

I'm kind of in the same place. For the second game in a row, I think the team will play better but it may not matter. If they win I'll be surprised and pleased. If they lose by less than seven I'll be satisfied. Losing by more than that would be a disappointment. Needless to say I've lowered my expectations for early success. This team needs time to get it together.

They did lose their top two scorers but have added a couple of pieces including a point guard from Boise State.  It will be a tough game but, having said that, it should be noted that they managed to beat Findley (D2) 83-78. Findley is picked third in their conference.

https://utrockets.com/news/2021/11/8/mens-basketball-toledo-to-open-2021-22-season-at-valparaiso-on-tuesday.aspx