• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Facilities

Started by vu72, March 09, 2012, 09:51:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

[The string just rolled over to my page 3.  I hope readers go back to page 2 for the diagrams to continue this discussion.]

Also thought that, maybe somewhere, that 4 bowling alleys should go into the FH to support our #1 rated bowling team and provide additional on campus recreation for students when the bowling team is not practicing. 

I also added more verbal detail to each plan's description.

bbtds

Quote from: VULB#62 on May 08, 2012, 08:21:19 PM[The string just rolled over to page 3.  I hope readers go back to page 2 for the diagrams to continue this discussion.]

FYI, your page 3 does not mean it's another posters page 3. It depends how you set up your posts per page. That can be altered if you like more or less posts per page.

VULB#62

Quote from: bbtds on May 09, 2012, 02:46:29 AM
Quote from: VULB#62 on May 08, 2012, 08:21:19 PM[The string just rolled over to page 3.  I hope readers go back to page 2 for the diagrams to continue this discussion.]

FYI, your page 3 does not mean it's another posters page 3. It depends how you set up your posts per page. That can be altered if you like more or less posts per page.

That's good to know. It got me to change some of my settings.  Thanks.

LaPorteAveApostle

It was on my page 3 too.  I figured 62'd made some kind of cool macro where it just told everyone whatever page they were on.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vu72

One idea that has been kicked around is that when the ARC is redone the northside chairback will be extended up which will make it backing up to the home side seats at Brown.  My idea was to put boxes, Crusader club at the top which could not only watch Basketball games but by turning around, watch football.  I missed archetecture class that day so not sure if/how that would all work.  Just sounds cool!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

Boston College does this with Alumni Stadium for FB and on the other side their basketball/ice hockey venue.  It's pretty cool.

bbtds

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on May 09, 2012, 07:24:44 AM
It was on my page 3 too.  I figured 62'd made some kind of cool macro where it just told everyone whatever page they were on.

I will tell you I believe you might have been on page "0" when you thought that.  ;D

bbtds

Quote from: vu72 on May 09, 2012, 10:53:08 AM
One idea that has been kicked around is that when the ARC is redone the northside chairback will be extended up which will make it backing up to the home side seats at Brown.  My idea was to put boxes, Crusader club at the top which could not only watch Basketball games but by turning around, watch football.  I missed archetecture class that day so not sure if/how that would all work.  Just sounds cool!

So those would be seats behind a glassed-in enclosure to the north? As in some MLB baseball parks/stadiums have.

valpo04

Quote from: VULB#62 on May 09, 2012, 11:34:15 AM
Boston College does this with Alumni Stadium for FB and on the other side their basketball/ice hockey venue.  It's pretty cool.

Never knew that... Pretty cool indeed!

chef

That's exactly how it was at Tulsa's Union High School (former home of the Mid-con Tournament). There were suites that could be used for football and basketball. It was sweet!

vu72

Quote from: bbtds on May 09, 2012, 01:53:50 PM
One idea that has been kicked around is that when the ARC is redone the northside chairback will be extended up which will make it backing up to the home side seats at Brown.  My idea was to put boxes, Crusader club at the top which could not only watch Basketball games but by turning around, watch football.  I missed architecture class that day so not sure if/how that would all work.  Just sounds cool!

So those would be seats behind a glassed-in enclosure to the north? As in some MLB baseball parks/stadiums have.

I guess, given the variable weather conditions it would have to be enclosed, possibly with a way to "garage door" the windows to lift them up to provide an open air environment on appropriate days. 
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

setshot

Lived in the Boston area (Sudbury) from '79 to '96 and did get to see a few BC games. Of course one of the highlights of that era was a guy by the name of Doug Flutie from nearby Natick,MA. Tom Caughlin was the qb and offensive cood. at that time. Facilities were not that good then and parking was atrocious. Now,thanks to Flutie and others, funds really poured into BC's athletic department. Perhaps once we have a decent football program the same will happen at VU.  :thumbsup:

VULB#62

Quote from: setshot on May 09, 2012, 03:16:34 PM
Lived in the Boston area (Sudbury) from '79 to '96 and did get to see a few BC games. Of course one of the highlights of that era was a guy by the name of Doug Flutie from nearby Natick,MA. Tom Caughlin was the qb and offensive cood. at that time. Facilities were not that good then and parking was atrocious. Now,thanks to Flutie and others, funds really poured into BC's athletic department. Perhaps once we have a decent football program the same will happen at VU.  :thumbsup:

Mark LaB was in NE then I'm sure so he knows this.  The Flutie phenomenon changed that place forever.  The application pool went through the roof, the SAT average for incoming frosh skyrocketed and alumni donations exploded [Tuition also grew commensurate with the popularity] and the selectivity (even for the athletes) became highly competitive. 

To a similar degree Butler's BB success has, I'm sure, created the same ground swell for them. 

But BC and Butler immediately seized on the open window and went after stuff and invested in things (Butler Bowl).  Hope VU can seize the day as well in order to support the good coaches they've attracted by improving the facilities so they can use to them to attract great student athletes and make this thing grow.

VULB#62

Quote from: bbtds on May 09, 2012, 01:53:50 PM

There's a l-o-n-g way from the current ARC walls to the Brown Field grandstand.  Quite a construction project to connect the two without disrupting the existing turf field installation.  But you can see in Valpo04's attachment that BC integrated their arena with the stadium. My son played club soccer under the BC head soccer coach, so we saw how well that worked out (BC BTW  seats 8,500 for BB and slightly less for hockey).  With or without luxury boxes the concept has merit (in Valpo's case, in my mind, I'm leaning toward the new Field House to provide that).

vu72

Yeah, I guess you're right.  May have to slightly relocate the field but if your going to do it right might as well!

Here's a google map type site that is helpful in putting the total area into perspective.

http://www.maplandia.com/united-states/indiana/porter-county/valparaiso/#map

VULB#62

That looks more recent than Google Maps -- which I used for proportion on my diagrams.  Once the new track goes in, if it includes a 200 meter track, definitely no room for a field house on the west end of Brown filed .  Also confirms that LaBien Hall needs to go to make these ideas work.

bbtds

There doesn't seem to be enough room around the west endzone for the track. Are there plans to use the parking lot where the old tennis courts were for the track? It also looks like a pretty far stretch from the north wall of the ARC to Brown Field. It really doesn't look possible to put in seating that you could see both into the ARC and into Brown Field. There's almost room for another ARC between Brown Field and Homer Drew Court (sans the track).

VULB#62

Yeah, the track oval that'll project west would have to extend into the parking lot.  Agree that there's too much space between the ARC and the grandstand to pull it all together.

VULB#62

From looking at the ariel photo of the Brown Field area again, a better thought would be to incorporate LaBein into a new Field House for office space, meeting rooms, and other uses rather than do completely away with it (as I mentioned earlier).  With the hospital gone, the location of the College of Nursing can be anywhere and probably should be brought into the campus academic core rather than out there all alone.  That still locates the field house in a position to be the anchor for the new home grandstands.  Not sure where the javelin, discus, hammer throwing areas would go though.

bbtds

I wonder if the city needs to keep LaPorte Ave open, after the hospital is gone, from Garfield to Roosevelt. Could that be bought by VU and used for athletic dept purposes? I only see 2 or 3 properties who could be given access to Lincolnway if they don't already have it.

VULB#62

I have watched the posts dealing with the inadequacy of the ARC across a number of strings.  I'm sorry, but could someone simply list the ARC shortcomings for those of us who have not/cannot attend home games there.  From pictures and watching it on TV it looks nice.  And when I made my last of the very few visits I have made to the campus, I walked around the main floor and and thought it was OK.

Valpo89

I think the biggest complaint is that the ARC just feels more like a high school gym than a college environment.
Main beef is that the east end of the floor is not enclosed and there is a concession stand just to the north, behind the basket, that is suppose can be visible on TV.
The bleachers aren't overly comfortable, but they are the "newer" style with a slight curve instead of just straight old wooden bleachers. I think some people believe the lower bleachers behind the team benches should also be chairbacks.
The floor is new, the scoreboard is new. Sound system needs improvement.
I think some people just believe VU needs something "more pretty" to show recruits.

vu72

Another problem is the track which passes through the south side. As a result those sitting in the lower part of the upper deck have views obstructed by people walking around.  The other issue is the restroom situation which is pretty bad and only two concession stands, one on the main floor and the other in the hall upstairs if I'm not mistaken.

What you saw on TV, say, for the Horizon tourney games, had good sized temporary bleachers added on the east end which made it feel more "bowl" like. Just a guess as I wasn't in attendance.  Chairbacks in the entire lower area would be nice.  The student section is great.

The atmosphere is no doubt fantastic when the place is packed.  A definite home court advantage.

VULB#62

Thanks guys.  In a previous post the figure of $15 million for ARC renovation was mentioned as part of the overall strategic plan.  Sounds like that amount will more than cover the items you mentioned.  Think maybe that reasonable seat expansion would come with that price?

sectionee

Here is your chance to quit dreaming about upgrades and help make it happen...https://www.valpo.edu/givetovu/form/index.php  :thumbsup:  :twocents: