• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Facilities

Started by vu72, March 09, 2012, 09:51:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oklahomamick

pretty similar endowments as well.
CRUSADERS!!!

JD24

The Marist and Valpo basketball programs are not particularly comparable historically.

jsher3141

Just got this email.  This could greatly impact the future of athletics (and the associated facilities), depending on the direction the board decides to go... For better or for worse.
President Heckler has resigned, pending a replacement search.

Dear Alumni,

We are on the cusp of a new academic year. We can almost feel the campus flush with the energy of new and returning students – the air filled with their dreams for an exciting year ahead. For faculty and staff, it is also a time of reflection about what we hope to accomplish – hope for how we can guide and aid our students in their journeys forward as young servant leaders and hope for how we each will take our own personal journeys forward. It is a time of new beginnings for all.

This year, for me, signals a new beginning of another kind – the transition to a change in leadership at Valparaiso University. After deep reflection and prayer, I have recommended to the Board of Directors that it begin the search process to identify the next president of Valparaiso University.

Let me share my reasons for this decision.
From a logistical standpoint, it may take time to search, hire and effectively transition to the next president. Therefore, the process must begin now to ensure continuity of presidential leadership.
I anticipate additional leadership succession at the Board and senior administrative levels. It is vital that these changes follow in a thoughtful and intentional sequence to ensure uninterrupted continuity of institutional momentum, knowledge and experience, as well as the smooth and effective transfer of authority from one generation of leaders to the next.
With the rapid changes in the educational landscape I want to ensure that the next president has the strengths and skill set to address these challenges over the next five years and beyond.
The University and Board must be bold and far-seeing in the scope of decisions over these next five years. These decisions must be well-considered, which takes time, and backed by the will and resources to implement these decisions. Valpo's president must own these decisions and be accountable for their outcomes.
Last at a personal level, it is my desire and Veronica's to enjoy the blessing of time with our nine grandchildren and precious time with our parents.
The Board accepted my recommendation at its July 2019 meeting and has initiated its search process. Let me assure you that my dedication to the University remains as strong as ever, and I will do everything possible to ensure the transition is a smooth one. I have committed to the Board that I will serve as your president until such time as a successor has been identified and is prepared to assume office. For a transitional period afterward, I will continue to serve the University in areas identified by the Board in consultation with the new president, after which time I plan to retire.

It is the greatest privilege of my life to be among your company and to undertake this noble work. I am so very grateful for your support of our beloved University.

Blessings!
Mark A. Heckler Signature
Mark A. Heckler
President

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

NativeCheesehead

Well, we're either about to have a new ARC or be D-3 in the next five years.

VUGrad1314

Please get a president that recognizes the value of athletics and cares about making us a strong program. Please.

NativeCheesehead

Ho-mer! Ho-mer! Ho-mer! Ho-mer!

usc4valpo

I think Homer is too busy with his job at the Springfield Nuclear Power Plant...

NativeCheesehead

VULB#62

[tweet]1162467423234199552[/tweet]
[tweet]1162467471099666432[/tweet]
[tweet]1162468098617876481[/tweet]
[tweet]1162468175734288384[/tweet]

A/C - check!
Seating - check!
Lighting - check!
Video upgrades - check!
Audio system - check!

valpo64

And all of God's people said, "Amen!"

IrishDawg

Quote from: VULB#62 on August 17, 2019, 08:54:17 AM
A/C - check!
Seating - check!
Lighting - check!
Video upgrades - check!
Audio system - check!

Really the only one of these that would necessitate significant funding would be the AC.  All the other stuff would likely be cosmetic and need a couple million to complete.

EddieCabot

Quote from: IrishDawg on August 17, 2019, 10:58:14 AM
Quote from: VULB#62 on August 17, 2019, 08:54:17 AM
A/C - check!
Seating - check!
Lighting - check!
Video upgrades - check!
Audio system - check!

Really the only one of these that would necessitate significant funding would be the AC.  All the other stuff would likely be cosmetic and need a couple million to complete.

It depends on what the seating upgrade looks like.  Building new permanent arena seating (like Loyola's Gentile Center) could be quite expensive.

vufan75

Covers the main items I agree but.....I'm greedy. Also want more concession areas, ability to sell beer/wine, more or larger bathrooms (on north and west sides?) and some type of upgraded parking.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

78crusader

Windows. The ARC needs some natural lighting. Too dark.

Paul

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: 78crusader on August 17, 2019, 01:24:34 PM
Windows. The ARC needs some natural lighting. Too dark.

Paul

Besides seating/sound system/lighting I think natural light is my next top "want".  We play enough Sunday afternoon games and the ARC is used for more than just nighttime.

Even air conditioning could be localized to playing area + locker rooms only.  We don't need the top floor gym, racket ball court, hallways or basement rooms air conditioned.  Do we really think a/c would even come close to the cost of new seating?  I haven't a clue, I'd expect duct work with compressors in the aforementioned area couldn't run more than $200,000.  I'd expect flooring and seating to be a good deal more because we all want permanent structures and not pushback bleachers.

Window a/c units for coaches offices will suffice.  Perspective athletes want facility and conference room (film room) luxury and they don't care about the track coaches office etc.  Does the basketball wing have it's own central a/c for the offices only?

NotBryceDrew

With the recent comments by Labarbera with both Vickery and Oren shows, I can now confidently share what I've heard with it being alluded to twice by the AD.  I have it from a school source that they saw the renderings of what the possible plans for the ARC renovations could be prior to a meeting.  Some of the improvements they saw were chair backs all around (not sure about student section), removal of the track on the second level for seats and function space, second-level box looking areas, and overall major cosmetic overhaul.  They only and a few second glance at it before it was promptly closed out but said it looked great. So this is what I'm hoping for when I hear the AD talk about improvements so we will see.

NativeCheesehead

Nice to hear the talk but I'll believe it when shovel hits dirt.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: vufan75 on August 17, 2019, 11:24:27 AMCovers the main items I agree but.....I'm greedy. Also want more concession areas, ability to sell beer/wine, more or larger bathrooms (on north and west sides?) and some type of upgraded parking. Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

We finally appear to be moving in the right direction facilities-wise. Let's get what we realistically can within the next few years which are a critical period for our program and push for bigger stuff later. Unless we really do have a wholesale upgrade coming in which case let's do it!

crusader05

I've heard they're shopping for a lead donor so those plans will probably stay under lock and key until they have a decent  chunk of the donations locked up. 

Something else I've heard that will please USC is that they are seriously looking into an online graduate school program similar to other universities

VULB#62

BTW, my "check" meant nothing more, repeat, nothing more, than it it is firmly on MLB's radar screen. That revelation is major. Why? Because this forum has been flying blind and not understanding what the athletic administration was looking at. Now at least we know.  I'm glad Mark made the statements he did. Finally, we know the scope of improvements for the ARC.

BTW(2), Fan75, I can't conceive of any of the configuration checklist items being done without concessions being involved.

VULB#62

Here is the kicker for me on the MLB interview:  all or nothing. Wait. Then Wait. And then do it all at once.

NO. NO. NO.

Get $500K?  upgrade the sound system ASAP. 
Receive another $500K?  Replace the lighting.
Whoa, another $500K?  Super!  Replace all the lower seating with top grade retractable chair-back  seating.
And so on.

If course this should all be done within the parameters of the newly financed feasibility study and should conform with any plan that comes out of that plan. 

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VULB#62 on August 21, 2019, 08:55:37 PM
Here is the kicker for me on the MLB interview:  all or nothing. Wait. Then Wait. And then do it all at once.

NO. NO. NO.

Get $500K?  upgrade the sound system ASAP. 
Receive another $500K?  Replace the lighting.
Whoa, another $500K?  Super!  Replace all the lower seating with top grade retractable chair-back  seating.
And so on.

If course this should all be done within the parameters of the newly financed feasibility study and should conform with any plan that comes out of that plan.

Reading between the lines here, but don't we think if he thought we didn't have the donors then he wouldn't say "all in one shot"?

Maybe he's just building expectations of future possible donors, but I think it would be degrees or magnitude easier to publicly say $500K now for Seating etc etc.

I'd like to think he has a renewed sense of possibilities for a reason!?!?

VU2014

To be fair, I don't think renovating the ARC is like renovating a single family home... it's a lot harder the piece meal things together and make it turn out looking good. That's my 2cents for whatever it's worth, but I'm no contractor or architect, so what do I know.