• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

PFL HFC Vacancies Being Filled

Started by VULB#62, December 13, 2012, 01:45:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

usc4valpo

62, I am in total agreement on your assessment.  This football program needs an enema and no one cares or may be overly-nice about this situation, or just plain does not care.  I work with Valpo alums and we joke about how bad the program is.  We high fived when we were ranked #246 in the rankings.  I mean what do you do, talk about how great they played in a 76-24 blowout to Morehead St.?  This whole situation is being ignored by the university and no action or caring is being shown.  This issue should have been resolved this year; if it is the same old crapola next year and no action are taken, this will hurt the university more than they can imagine.

VULB#62

Quote from: HC on December 22, 2012, 06:57:36 PM
I hear the team GPA has gone up every year under Coach Carlson...if that makes you feel any better.

Actually it does. 

There are elements of the current program that IMO needed to be put into place and were with Coach Carlson's hiring and program development.  There is a routine and discipline to the year-round aspect of Crusader football that are an improvement.  The communication (except for all the rah rah motivational quotes) is much improved -- there is finally a new addition to the FB blog BTW.  But all of that is for naught, if the team and coaches can't produce competitiveness on the field on game day.

How about these for stocking stuffers in the HFC's stocking on Christmas morning?
->  A tough defensive scheme that gets stops with regular consistency and gets the D off the field faster --- along with a new DC to coach it. 
->  Fewer "themes of the year, day week, whatever" -- just one actually: practice and play hard for 60 minutes with no mistakes
->  Four new difference-makers on each side of the ball
->  A replacement for punter Greg Wood

VULB#62

And then there were none.  The fourth and final vacancy among PFL HFCs has been filled.  USD chose their current DC to replace Caragher.  Seems like a no-brainer.  The guy has a great playing and coaching resume.  This IMO is a better example of hiring from within than the Morehead hiring.

San Diego, Calif. - The University of San Diego will introduce Dale Lindsey as its new head football coach at a press conference to be held tomorrow, December 29th, at 2:00 p.m. (PST) in the Jenny Craig Pavilion Warren Hospitality Suite. Lindsey becomes the Toreros' 13th head coach and replaces Ron Caragher who recently was hired as head coach at San Jose State University.

Here's the full release from the USD web site by way of the PFL site.

http://usdtoreros.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/122812aaa.html

crusadermoe

Fresh starts for all of the PFL bottom feeders except the brown and gold.   

VULB#62

Wouldn't call USD a bottom feeder, but Morehead, Davidson, and Campbell all have new FB bosses.  We see all but Davidson in 2013.

Happy New Year everybody.

usc4valpo

Happy New Year to you all too.  Fight on USC tomorrow and beat the Yellow Jackets to conclude this very forgetful season.

usc4valpo

Who is worse based on the situation...Carlson or Kiffin?  Thank goodness it is 2013!!!

valporun

Kiffin doesn't have a solid, consistent coaching record anywhere. He's more of a contract/money chaser than he is a coach. At least Coach Carlson has some coaching record depth to work with, and he stayed at school long enough to have a measurable record of wins and losses.

chef

I don't think any reasonable football fan would argue that over the last three seasons, the top three most talented teams have been Alabama, LSU, and USC. During that time period, Alabama has 5 losses, LSU 6 losses, and USC 13 losses. Sometimes there's to much evidence to ignore. For one reason or another, Lane Kiffin teams are not able to win games at the percentage they should.

valpotx

I am a very reasonable football fan, and would place Texas in the top 3 in regards to talent/recruits, over either USC or LSU.  When you routinely have a top 3-5 recruiting class in the best overall HS football state (amount of quality teams/players), and have been producing less than double digit wins recently, it is time to go for Mack Brown.  You could place just about any coach in America at UT and he can win 7-8 games if he is not a complete moron.  UT will always have the pick of the litter here, and I think Mack needs to be looked at just as much as Kiffin in recent failures.  People will bring up the championship year, but again, with the talent in-state and massive athletic budget, it will always be in the mix pre-season.  Just a matter of in-game coaching from that point.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valporun

tx, I recall an interview with Mack Brown where he said that part of his issues lately haven't been talent or recruiting, but it's been all the requirements involved with the Longhorn Network? I'm sure these are just excuses, but with the expectations that Texas fans have for the football team, what's wrong with letting Mack Brown do his job of coaching/mentoring these talented athletes, instead of having to always prep for the tv cameras during the season?

Valposter

I am very surprised Mack Brown hasn't gotten more pressure.   It reminds me of the John Cooper years at Ohio State.  He would have at least 5-6 high NFL draft picks on the roster every year, and he would have a top 5 recruiting class every year, but every year he would lose one Big Ten game before Michigan, he would lose to Michigan, and then lose his Bowl Game EVERY year and finish 9-3 without fail.  And yet he would keep his job with hardly any pressure or accountability.  I don't know how he did it.  You have Stoops at Oklahoma, Mack at Texas and now Kiffin at USC doing the same thing. 

I guess that's why you have successful or high profile college coaches so reluctant to jump to the NFL (7 head coaches fired Monday, maybe more to come) unless they are trying to stay ahead of recruiting violations (right Pete Carroll?).  Rumors are Nick Saban, Chip Kelly and possiblly Bill OBrien looking at NFL opportunities.  Probably should stay in college......as Jerry Glanville used to say, the NFL stand for Not For Long. 
Valpo Baseball:  2012 Horizon League Regular Season Champion!  2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back Horizon League Tournament Champions! 2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back NCAA Tournament Regional Appearances!

valpotx

You really haven't heard much about Mack's pressure from the fan base until this year, which has surprised me.  There is a point where a national title is no longer relevant to the fan base, and it seems they have finally gotten to that point.  In regards to the LHN, that is Mack's way of trying to pass the buck to something else leading to team performance troubles.  I like TCU since it is where I received my MBA, but there is no way UT should lose to TCU at UT's stadium in ANY year in football.  TCU has had much success over the last decade, but that was a huge upset with a FR QB for TCU after Pachall got caught with drugs just a few games into the season (NFL-caliber QB). 

"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

Can't get me to think of John Cooper without chanting "TWO, TEN, and ONE! TWO, TEN, and ONE!"  :)

Regarding Tx's "There is a point where a national title is no longer relevant to the fan base", it's sad but true.

The NC didn't even get Phil Fulmer ten years (and look what's befallen UT since then!!!)--but it didn't give even THREE years to Gene Chizik! 

What's the world coming to?  I mean, we can make all the "Cam Newton" statements we want, but the bottom line is that how many other active FBS coaches have the NC?  Saban, Miles, and... ?  Pretty much just Mack Brown.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

new2ff

Both TCU & Texas had a ton of Freshmen playing this year, i know they were 1 & 2 in B12 & both high in NCAAF.
For teams with players returning, heard yesterday that Wisconsin has only 6-7 srs [ 2rs]. I look for Big 10 to be very good next year.

IMO, many coaches stay around way too long...Joe P, Bowden, etc., why not do like Lou Holtz?

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: new2ff on January 02, 2013, 03:19:21 PMwhy not do like Lou Holtz?

....wasn't his "retirement" like Michael Jordan's (first)?

valporun

Yeah, after retiring from Notre Dame, Holtz went to South Carolina, before retiring(?) again...

LaPorteAveApostle

True, but I was implying that he "resigned" rather than be fired.  Maybe should have said "tressel" style rather than MJ style...

vuweathernerd

Quote from: valporun on January 02, 2013, 04:34:23 PM
Yeah, after retiring from Notre Dame, Holtz went to South Carolina, before retiring(?) again...

and then he somehow managed to get a pompous windbag gig at espn...