• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo vs. Milwaukee Jan. 12 - fan bus

Started by HC, December 10, 2012, 04:09:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HC

http://sectionee.blogspot.com/2012/12/vu-vs-milwaukee-fan-bus.html

Kind of expensive, but it should be a great time.  Nunnamaker's house is pretty impressive I'm told, he also gave a nice speech at graduation on Sunday. 

valpospartan

Quote from: HC on December 10, 2012, 04:09:01 PM

Kind of expensive, but it should be a great time.  Nunnamaker's house is pretty impressive I'm told, he also gave a nice speech at graduation on Sunday. 

$30 expensive for lunch, game ticket and transportation?  Seems like a deal to me.

wh

Quote from: valpospartan on December 10, 2012, 10:30:12 PM
Quote from: HC on December 10, 2012, 04:09:01 PM

$30 expensive for lunch, game ticket and transportation?  Seems like a deal to me.

Agreed.  According to the fuel calculator on Mapquest, I am going to pay $34 round trip for gas.  We will easily spend $20-25 for lunch and tip, and the least expensive tickets are $10.  That adds up to $69, unless we decide to purchase $19 tickets, in which case the cost goes up to $87 for 2 people.  I also don't know yet if they charge to park.  Yeah, the bus is a deal.

chef

I'm not sure but I'm guessing Hank's "kind of expensive" line was sarcasm.

Smj

I live just south of Milwaukee....   I am planning to attend this game but I REALLY want to sit by Valpo fans.   Last time I was by a bunch of uwm fans that were @55h0135.   Some of the fan tone there is a bit more crude than other places.   

Also, how could I attend the pre-game and post-game gatherings?   Is this part of the bus tickets?

HC

Call my wife Leslie at Valpo, 219-464-5227 if you any problems. I'm told you can register just for the lunch/ticket.

The cost is $30 for the ride and another $30 for the lunch/shuttle/ticket/desert.

agibson

Quote from: HC on December 11, 2012, 05:37:39 PMI was serious with the expensive comment. Unless I read it wrong it is $30 for game and ride and another $30 for the lunch.

Ooh - interesting.  I assumed it was $30/person for the whole event: bus, lunch, shuttle, dessert.

But, you could be right.  It could be $30/person for the bus.   And then another $30/person for lunch and a ticket.

HC

chef

Ok. I can see $60 being considered a little expensive. Although it seems like a fair price. I couldn't see $30 for the whole deal being considered anything but a great price.

agibson

HC

$60/person is still reasonable and my wife and I will be going. Hopefully they can fill up the bus.

vuweathernerd

Quote from: HC on December 11, 2012, 06:19:31 PM
$60/person is still reasonable and my wife and I will be going. Hopefully they can fill up the bus.

it's a little steep for students, granted it's going to be over break, so that won't matter so much. my sophomore year, the athletics dept sponsored a bus up there for a game, and i believe that only cost like $10. granted, that did not involve the sort of spread that it sounds like people will see with this trip.

HC

This event isn't really aimed at students. Targeted is the season ticket holders and alumni.

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valporun

If it isn't a student-oriented bus trip, it probably means that the person who set up the event intends for alcohol to be served, and the University nixed the bus trip being open to students for this reason?

HC

That may be an option for beverage at the luncheon. Come on the trip and find out!

mvandersee

LaPorteAveApostle, there was a student bus to UWM last year and while yes we did not fill the entire bus we were easily the loudest section in the arena once we got there.  Apparently we were crazy enough that they put us up on their jumbotron even though we had a huge Valpo flag at the front of our section and got put way up in the upper deck.  Yes some of us do get frustrated with other students who do not show up, but also look at the community support, it isn't always there either.  It isn't always about the quantity of your fans in the student section, just the quality.

valporun

HC, I would go on the trip, but I'm closer to Milwaukee than I am Valpo, and can't afford the trip.

LaPorteAveApostle

hey man, no hard feelings.  nothin' but love for the students.  we gots to get more that's all.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vuweathernerd

Quote from: mvandersee on December 12, 2012, 12:11:26 PM
LaPorteAveApostle, there was a student bus to UWM last year and while yes we did not fill the entire bus we were easily the loudest section in the arena once we got there.  Apparently we were crazy enough that they put us up on their jumbotron even though we had a huge Valpo flag at the front of our section and got put way up in the upper deck.  Yes some of us do get frustrated with other students who do not show up, but also look at the community support, it isn't always there either.  It isn't always about the quantity of your fans in the student section, just the quality.

we had the same thing happen in jan 08 when we went - our maybe 30 or so students that took the trip were louder than the milwaukee band and students together. kind of embarassing for them, but we enjoyed it. :-)

HC

There is now an email out to students for a student bus. Same offer as the one for the alumn