• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Last In Academics as well

Started by VULB#62, February 25, 2013, 01:05:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

Aside from the poor playing record, the news from the the PFL on 2012 academic honor roll is not good either.  Here's the cut and paste:

"Dayton led all member schools with 71 student-athletes named to the PFL Honor Roll. Drake followed with a program-record 62 honorees. Jacksonville also had a program-record 45 student-athletes named to the honor roll. Butler had 61 individuals named followed by Davidson (59), Marist (44), Morehead (43), Campbell (42), San Diego (33), Valparaiso (30)."

I added this string not as an indictment, but as a segue to the observation that many of the class of 2012 and 2013 recent recruits had solid academic credentials and were projecting tough majors (many in engineering).  This should bode well for the future.  But raw GPA alone, if most of a team is enrolled in academically unchallenging programs, can be deceiving.  We, of course, don't know those details. Yet, it is impressive that from a typical 90-95 player roster Dayton had 71 players with a 3.0 or higher.  It's also impressive that Drake and Butler, who shared the title, had 62 and 61 respectively.

covufan

I think a goal for 2013 should be at least 45.

valpo95

Does anyone know how the roster sizes compare?

VULB#62

While I haven't done this in detail for each team, if you go to the PFL site and then go to each team's site and the roster tab you'll see that PFL teams generally have between 85 and 100 players listed.  For example, Butler had 97; Valpo has 92 listed.

valporun

Does this include freshmen-seniors, or does it cut out freshmen?

VULB#62

My guess would be that who's ever on the roster for the last game of the season are included. 

valporun

I only ask because some of these academic lists don't include freshmen because of the course schedules of required freshmen courses that don't even touch what a freshman might major in.