• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Baseball to the Dominican

Started by jetz, January 20, 2013, 05:32:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jetz

The Valpo baseball team is making plans to travel to the Dominican Republic over Thanksgiving break 2013 to play six games against college/minor league-type competition.  A dozen or so teams from around the country go each year and get some national coverage as there's really nothing else going on in college baseball at that time of year.  Indiana went last Thanksgiving, and relayed to Coach Woodson that they enjoyed the experience.  Major league teams have affiliate clubs and facilities there, and we will play the Cubs, White Sox, Royals, Pirates, etc. plus some community teams (Fire and Police teams).  The kids are college aged or have college or better ability.  Valpo players will also get a tour of Santo Domingo and do some community outreach.  The guys will also donate some baseball equipment to the local kids.  Funds must come entirely from families or fund raising, and plans are underway to make this happen.  Another step up for Valpo baseball... :thewave:
"How'd you like to mow my lawn?  Mmmm?  Mmmm?"--Judge Smails

valpotx

Is this the same type of thing that our basketball teams have done, allowable once every 4 years?  Sounds like a neat opportunity.  I know that the Rangers have a nice facility in the DR, so maybe it will be a ValpoTX vs. ValpoTX matchup once  :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

jetz

Yes, this is the once every 4 thing.  And yes, maybe we will play your Rangers!  The games are all at the team "academies" in Boca Chica.  Boca Chica is not the touristy area of the island--that's Punta Cana, which is about a three hour drive away.  BC is a destination for baseball junkies, however, since that's where most of the DR pros come from, and also where the best DR prospects are. 
"How'd you like to mow my lawn?  Mmmm?  Mmmm?"--Judge Smails

KL31NY

I hope the guys have fun when this trip happens. What an opportunity!
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176