• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Why did Valpo get rid of this guy?

Started by Giant Moose, March 18, 2013, 07:44:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

demonstrationHall

Quote from: a3uge on March 18, 2013, 03:52:45 PM
Quote from: crusaderjoe on March 18, 2013, 02:52:16 PMSince we're on the topic of branding, I have to say that the adopted lime green accent color that was incorporated into the new marketing strategy showed a clear disconnect between VU and its athletic programs, IMO. With the new branding initiative, we had a wonderful opportunity to roll out a third color that could have also be used to enhance Valpo athletics by showcasing "alternate" jerseys or uniforms in that chosen color for special games or for special occasions. If done correctly, the accent color could have been really workable both administratively and athletically. (Think ND green.) Didn't happen that way at all. Yeah, I understand--green is the color of life or whatever so that is why it was chosen. However, VU is located 20 minutes from Lake Michigan, not 20 minutes from Key Largo.
Yeah, Marquette is able to use the powder blues quite nicely... I'm wondering if Valpo will eventually use the green in that capacity. Brown and Gold is already a pretty unique combination. Wyoming is the only other school to use those two colors together, and they do a horrible job of sticking with it. I don't understand why Valpo would hand out the green balloons when it had no other uniforms/aesthetics with the color. It looks good in publications, and it's used fairly consistently (only in script fonts or in small wavy lines on footers), but not sure how well it would translate to athletics.

Pretty sure there are quite a few schools that have brown and gold as their colors, I know Western Michigan University is Brown and Gold

a3uge

Quote from: demonstrationHall on March 20, 2013, 07:37:17 PM
Quote from: a3uge on March 18, 2013, 03:52:45 PM
Quote from: crusaderjoe on March 18, 2013, 02:52:16 PMSince we're on the topic of branding, I have to say that the adopted lime green accent color that was incorporated into the new marketing strategy showed a clear disconnect between VU and its athletic programs, IMO. With the new branding initiative, we had a wonderful opportunity to roll out a third color that could have also be used to enhance Valpo athletics by showcasing "alternate" jerseys or uniforms in that chosen color for special games or for special occasions. If done correctly, the accent color could have been really workable both administratively and athletically. (Think ND green.) Didn't happen that way at all. Yeah, I understand--green is the color of life or whatever so that is why it was chosen. However, VU is located 20 minutes from Lake Michigan, not 20 minutes from Key Largo.
Yeah, Marquette is able to use the powder blues quite nicely... I'm wondering if Valpo will eventually use the green in that capacity. Brown and Gold is already a pretty unique combination. Wyoming is the only other school to use those two colors together, and they do a horrible job of sticking with it. I don't understand why Valpo would hand out the green balloons when it had no other uniforms/aesthetics with the color. It looks good in publications, and it's used fairly consistently (only in script fonts or in small wavy lines on footers), but not sure how well it would translate to athletics.

Pretty sure there are quite a few schools that have brown and gold as their colors, I know Western Michigan University is Brown and Gold

Gold as in athletic gold, not Vegas gold. The whole point was that Valpo has a unique color combo only matched by 1 other school. But even if you include Vegas gold, that's only three schools. For D1. There's a couple non-D1 schools with brown and gold.

Maybe St Bonaventure can get away with calling themselves brown and gold, but obviously a different shade:

Lehigh also uses a brwon and white and another cream color similar to St Bonaventure. Definitely a different color combination, but a little similar.

But what other 'quite a few' are you talking about?

Are you including Maroon and Gold like Loyola and Minnesota? ULM? Because I don't think it's the same color.

UBC's logo is Brown and Gold, but Brown and Gold aren't their school colors.

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

FWalum

My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show