• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo @ Mercer:

Started by setshot, October 05, 2013, 02:11:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

covufan

Quote from: vu72 on October 18, 2013, 09:01:07 AMWe've got to hurry to finish in the top 3, let alone win a title.
Or win two games in PFL play in one season!

Thanks for posting, as I was thinking the same section from the strategic plan, or wishful thinking plan (as it applies to football). 

historyman

I think what USC maybe looking for is a statement about not accomplishing the plan goals. When you make a strategic plan and never follow up on it what good is the plan in the first place. We need a statement acknowledging that we haven't attained the goals and what the athletic dept is going to change or begin to do to actually accomplish these goals.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

VULB#62

.... and normally when a department of an enterprise produces "strategic" plan at their level, it is pushed up the ladder to the next level for review, acceptance and approval.  If this is the case at Valpo, at some point the Board has been made aware of the Athletic Strategic Plan, has blessed it, and in doing so, has stated, not implied, that in their role, they have committed to supporting those strategies.  By not following through on that, they have shirked their duties.

I just hope the Board is not thinking (hiding behind):  "Well, at least we're not like Grambling."  That BTW could be a whole new off topic string. 

usc4valpo

The last two posts are in line with what I am asking.  Having a vision and a lovely pdf document is nice, as long as you follow it.  My problem is the administration does not provide a status and what actions thyey are taken.  Apparantly they are doing nothing.  The student athletes and alumni should expect more than that.

Could this discussion be placed in a different post?

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: VULB#62 on October 19, 2013, 11:26:36 AM"Well, at least we're not like Grambling."

"do you like Grambling?"

"i don't know; i've never grambled"

I was thinking this discussion could be placed in a different post, but then, why bother? 

call it the Carlson Certainty Principle: every VU football thread will inevitably end thus.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

Lurking Dog

Quote from: vu72 on October 17, 2013, 02:39:40 PMI had no idea NAIA schools offered scholarships.

NAIA schools are limited to 24 eqivalencies.

VULB#62

Quote from: Lurking Dog on October 21, 2013, 10:52:19 AM
Quote from: vu72 on October 17, 2013, 02:39:40 PMI had no idea NAIA schools offered scholarships.

Meaning, I assume, they can split the 24 among as many players as they see fit?  D-IAA (FCS), I believe, has to be full boat per player, like D-I (FBS).  D-II can split as well, right?

a3uge

Quote from: vu72 on October 18, 2013, 09:01:07 AM
Quote from: usc4valpo on October 18, 2013, 07:16:37 AM
First of all, I never thought Grandview, a small college out of Des Moines, would ever be part of this forum discussion.  They get a lot of local Iowa athletes and have a good story with their football program.

Valpo's primary problem is not getting quality student athletes - it is bigger than that.  Valpo's problem is that they are not committed to a quality football program.  I find it interesting that the administration has never discussed or commented on the status of the football program.  I also understand people on this forum support MLB and he has done an admirable job.  However, we have never heard his perspective of the football program and what actions will be made to improve.

My questions to those closer to the Valpo community are:
       1.  What is the student apathy or response to football at Valpo?
       2. Has MLB ever discussed an action plan to improve football at Valpo?
       3.  Has the Valpo administration expressed any concerns on the football program at Valpo?

The answer is yes to an action plan.  This is from the strategic athletic plan relative to football, the plan covers 2012-2017:

Goal 2.4: Finish in the top 3 in the Pioneer Football League while winning
the Championship at least once every four years.

Here is the site for the entire plan:

http://www.valpoathletics.com/media/miscellaneous/2012-13/Valparaiso%20Athletics%20Strategic%20Plan.pdf

We've got to hurry to finish in the top 3, let alone win a title.

At least they finally fixed the typo. Baby steps.

Lurking Dog

Quote from: VULB#62 on October 21, 2013, 11:00:12 AM
Quote from: Lurking Dog on October 21, 2013, 10:52:19 AM

Meaning, I assume, they can split the 24 among as many players as they see fit?  D-IAA (FCS), I believe, has to be full boat per player, like D-I (FBS).  D-II can split as well, right?

NAIA and D-II can split scholarships.  So can FCS teams, (max of 63 equivalencies to a max of 85 individuals/limit of 30 new recipients per year).  FBS cannot split scholarships.