• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

LVD for MVP

Started by wh, February 02, 2014, 03:02:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

No one in the HL has conference-only numbers comparable to LaVonte right now:

- 20.3 PPG (2nd)
- 25.2 PP40 (1st)
- 72.0 true shooting pct. (2nd)
- 66.3 effective FG pct. (3rd)
- 54.1 FG pct. (5th) (1st among guards)
- 58.5 3pt FG pct. (1st) (next highest is 50%)
- 53 FT made (2nd)
- 61 FT attempted (3rd)
- 86.9 FT pct. (4th)
- 132.8 offensive rating (3rd) (1st among guards)

A lot can change between now and the end of conference play, but if LaVonte were to continue at this blistering pace and if we were to finish near the top of the league standings, he would have to be deserving of MVP over anyone else in the league.  That said, I recognize that those who voted for Sykes for pre-season MVP naturally will be ego invested to stay with their vote to show they had it right all along, and thus be tough to persuade that LVD is the more worthy choice. Now, if by some chance we would happen to win the league, he would probably win MVP in a landslide.  Regardless, I hope voters would give careful consideration to the fact that LVD led a team that lost its entire starting 5 from a year ago vs. a veteran team in GB with 2 veteran all-leaguers to rely on.

Oh, and for those from the "let's not get too far ahead of ourselves" camp, thanks in advance for your concern.   ;)

vusupporter

Just to play devil's advocate, and I absolutely love what Lavonte's been doing the last few games [among the best stretches of play I can ever recall by a single player at Valpo], look beyond the scoring/shooting numbers in league play:

Sykes - 6.1 rpg (7th), 4.9 apg (3rd), 1.0 spg (13th)
Dority - 2.1 rpg, 1.9 apg, 0.7 spg

I think it would be a crime if anyone were to leave Dority off their first team all-league right now, but I really don't think you can blame anyone for putting Sykes ahead of him on their PoY ballot, given that GB is still 2 games up on us and that, despite Lavonte's recent run, Sykes still is scoring more than him in league play.

classof2014

If Dority keeps it up he will win PoY in the HL, if he doesn't it'll be an outright shame. Also look at what he did to the two best players in the league, in Sykes and Perry, they both had terrible games. Who was guarding him? LVD. Was it a coincidence they so happened to have terrible games with LVD on them? I think no. Also he shut down UIC's leading scorer in Barlow yesterday as well.

There is still 7 games to go in the regular season, and a lot can happen. If LVD keeps this up we might just manage to get first, if not finish in second. LVD is on a team with 5 freshmen and 2 other guys that didn't play last season. Also I think you need to look a character for PoY, sadly it is overlooked way too often, but he always has a team first mentality and seems to be one of the least selfish players in the league.

I said after the YSU game, LVD worked his way into consideration for PoY and everyone laughed it off. Will he win PoY? Who knows but he is definitely one of the top 3 players in the HL right now and the numbers don't lie.

LaPorteAveApostle

When was the last time we saw such drastic improvement?

He was always a good FT shooter, but has improved that somewhat; where he's really remarkable is how much he's improved his FG and 3PT percentage.  Simply stunning.

ICYMI:  http://www.valpofanzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=1731.msg41539#msg41539
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

HC

This is Sykes award to lose. LVD's only chance is for Valpo to win the league, even then they'll probably make him share it since the league is all over GB like stink on a monkey.

Kyle321n

Dority is filling up the points category at an ungodly pace recently, but Sykes is filling up the entire statsheet with APG and RPG. 

I think Dority has a really strong case for defensive player of the year though with what he's done to Sykes, KP3 and Barlow x2
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

classof2014

Quote from: Kyle321n on February 04, 2014, 11:31:41 AM
Dority is filling up the points category at an ungodly pace recently, but Sykes is filling up the entire statsheet with APG and RPG. 

I think Dority has a really strong case for defensive player of the year though with what he's done to Sykes, KP3 and Barlow x2

I think that proves why LVD is a candidate for the PoY. Defense is incredibly important and he's basically shutdown the best guards in the league and against them he's been unstoppable on the offensive end. Head-to-head so far LVD has the edge against all of them. Dority has been able top put up the offensive numbers against these guards, while holding the guards to subpar performances.

HC

He's not the only one guarding these guys. Valpo has been switching every screen, with the exception of when Moussa or Vashil's man sets the pick.  LVD's defense has been very good, but he is getting plenty of help from the others as well.

classof2014

He's been a big reason why our defense has been so good lately.

I would much rather see him win the second season MVP  ;)

classof2014

Hard to argue with that. If he keeps up averaging 25 PPG he might have an outside shot of going to the NBA.

Overall though, he's been playing the best basketball any Crusader has in quite a long while to say the least.

a3uge

Quote from: classof2014 on February 06, 2014, 11:05:49 PM
Hard to argue with that. If he keeps up averaging 25 PPG he might have an outside shot of going to the NBA.

Overall though, he's been playing the best basketball any Crusader has in quite a long while to say the least.

Way too undersized to be considered by the NBA. Only chance would be at pg, but he's not a good enough ball handler for that. Too bad he's not a bit taller, he seems to have developed into an incredibly consistent combo guard.

valpo84

Did someone say Ben Gordon? Seemed to play a pretty decent 2. LVD is better than Dion Waiters. Then again, Dellavadova is playing better than Waiters.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

LaPorteAveApostle

I thought the shots at Dwayne Toatley, Colclasure, et al., were unnecessary.  They certainly weren't expected to play that game, and if they had tried they'd have watched from Ferry-land.  seewhatididthere.jpg

But (and Ben Gordon is fairly apt) VINNIE JOHNSON is EXACTLY right.  That's him, from the build to the game.  I'm shocked I hadn't thought of that first (as the resident Piston fan) but it makes eminent sense.  Let's start calling LVD "the Microwave".

(I remember everything, for better and worse, so I remember Bernie Lincicome, some 20 to 25 years ago, refer derisively to VJ as "the Pistons' rolling wad of muscle".)
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpotx

I don't like this Gorches guy at all, based on the various articles I have seen referenced.  He doesn't do his research, and as LAA pointed out, he essentially bashed some of our quality role players of years past.  I view him as a hack, quite honestly...
"Don't mess with Texas"

Kyle321n

Quote from: valpotx on February 07, 2014, 01:06:46 PMI don't like this Gorches guy at all, based on the various articles I have seen referenced.  He doesn't do his research, and as LAA pointed out, he essentially bashed some of our quality role players of years past.  I view him as a hack, quite honestly...

I've never liked Gorches.  He tries to touch every part of P-T Sports and yet he doesn't have a grip on any of them.  Whenever I read one of his high school articles I always feel like this is the first time he's been seen that school play and he's talked to the coaches.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

atkins

No.  Sykes is a more-consistent, less-streaky player. 

LaPorteAveApostle

agibson

Here I was thinking the thread had been renewed after last night's game.  Going up against some of the 1st team, and POY competition, I couldn't help but reflect on LVD's chances.  Watching him slashing to the basket over and over, throwing up shots high off the backboard, which do sometimes go in, but sure weren't falling last night, or watching him get stuffed by Brown.  I wasn't feeling the POY vibe last night.  Even made me wonder about 1st team.  But, everybody can have an off night.

classof2014

Quote from: agibson on February 21, 2014, 11:54:51 AM
Here I was thinking the thread had been renewed after last night's game.  Going up against some of the 1st team, and POY competition, I couldn't help but reflect on LVD's chances.  Watching him slashing to the basket over and over, throwing up shots high off the backboard, which do sometimes go in, but sure weren't falling last night, or watching him get stuffed by Brown.  I wasn't feeling the POY vibe last night.  Even made me wonder about 1st team.  But, everybody can have an off night.

Wasn't like Sykes or Brown had big nights either. LVD actually had more points from the floor than Sykes, 9 vs 8. The difference was Sykes went 11-12 from FT, compared to LVD's 0. Don't forget most of the time when LVD drives the lane like that and then gets assaulted, he'd have 2 FTs and chances are if they call fouls on GB, LVD's lanes open up a bit more but because they knew they weren't gonna get called they pretty much tackled him every time. I don't blame GB however, if the refs aren't gonna call it, then use it to your advantage.

atkins

Very small chance that LVD is named poy.   The real question is who's rookie of the year?  In December, I would've said Alec, but he's no longer in the top ten in my book.  Lexus and Jubril are legit contenders.  Very impressed by their play.  Next year, I suspect Alec will find his shot and game, and Clay Yeo will surprise everyone.  Good years ahead for the guys...