• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2016 Football Recruits

Started by VULB#62, January 19, 2016, 09:35:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

Understand. I haven't heard anything at all with respect to his progress (either physical or skill-wise), but you don't want to rush the kid and risk having him go down with a recurrence of the injury. I believe he had the same injury as Connor Smith (labrum?)  and Connor reinjured it to the point that he had to stop playing. Dalton is listed as a R-Sophomore so he has 3 seasons of football left -- if he chooses to use them.

VU2624

Quote from: VULB#62 on July 08, 2016, 04:22:58 PMUnderstand. I haven't heard anything at all with respect to his progress (either physical or skill-wise), but you don't want to rush the kid and risk having him go down with a recurrence of the injury. I believe he had the same injury as Connor Smith (labrum?)  and Connor reinjured it to the point that he had to stop playing. Dalton is listed as a R-Sophomore so he has 3 seasons of football left -- if he chooses to use them.

It is the same injury and it is a very tough injury to come back from if you intend to throw a ball. You have to essentially reteach the muscles to do so.

usc4valpo

So as they get ready for Illinois State, and knowing they will get blown out, should they treat this as an exhibition type of game to grow and play many to get experience and see what these guys can do?

I think Cecchini will get the job done, but another 1 win season will not cut it. IMO for the football team to show progress they need to win at least 3 and demonstrate that they are competing.

VULB#62

Illinois State is what it is. Just like EKU last year, except maybe we get better QB play and better protection. Dont know if we can stop anyone yet. We should do better against Sacred Heart (than last year) but probably won't win at their place. First really winable game is Trinity International.  Then comes the PFL SEASON.

VU2624

Quote from: usc4valpo on July 09, 2016, 08:05:47 AMSo as they get ready for Illinois State, and knowing they will get blown out, should they treat this as an exhibition type of game to grow and play many to get experience and see what these guys can do? I think Cecchini will get the job done, but another 1 win season will not cut it. IMO for the football team to show progress they need to win at least 3 and demonstrate that they are competing.

This is the same as any team playing in whatever version of their "money" game is. They shouldn't blow a bunch of players redshirts but they can get guys they intend to use some time on the field. Typically at least a couple of QBs play.

VU2624

Quote from: VULB#62 on July 07, 2016, 03:55:07 PMAnswers in order:  who knows?  who knows?  Yes! Roster breakdown by position: QB - 6 RB - 7 WR - 14 TE/H-Back - 6 OL - 17 TOTAL O - 50 DB - 15 DE/DL - 13 LB/Snake - 20 TOTAL D - 48 Long Snapper - 1 K/P - 5 TOTAL ST - 6 TOTAL - 104 Roster breakdown by class (no differentiation for redshirts): Seniors - 8 Juniors - 17 Sophomores - 25 Freshmen - 54

On the position breakdown there are a couple of players listed at former positions on offense. Both Jarrett Morgan and Elias Earley are at RB rather than WR. Jarrett's been there since midway last year.

Also one of the incoming Freshman, Connor Sperling, is listed as a RB when I think he's a DL. His recruiting profile from Valpo initially had him as DL. His assigned number of 55 would indicate that as well.

That makes 8 RBs, 12 WRs, 14 DL.

IndyValpo

Quote from: IndyValpo on July 07, 2016, 08:51:15 AM
The 2016 roster is up.  There were several recruits who are not on the roster.

The defensive backfield was particularly effected:
Sean Moore  - FL
Keegan Brown - OH
Kelan Winters - TX

Also DE/LB Tyler Somers - FL

We have an additional DB added from Valpo named Bryce Crook.

Houston Underwood who played a lot of OL as a freshman is not on the roster...

A roster update...

add back freshman DB Sean Moore from Florida who I thought looked like a prospect
drop redshirt K Issac Mercado

valpofan11

Since no one here has talked about the 3 Valparaiso High School commits, here's my input:
Chris Orlich: 6'0-6'1 WR, good hands, decent route runner, lacks breakaway speed.
Dylan Johnson: 6'1 OLB, great speed, covers lots of ground well, needs to work on wrapping up guys, was a Track All State in 2015 4x100 (8th place), 2016 200m State Qualifier.
Bryce Crook: 5'11 RB/DB, good breakaway speed, nice vision, sheds defenders well, also played baseball at VHS. Probably will be a KR/PR as well. Lower body strength is a question mark.

VULB#62

Thanks 11.  Always like speed in a defender (Orlich) (meant Johnson).  Makes it easier to adjust to the faster speed within the college game.

bbtds

Quote from: VULB#62 on July 18, 2016, 10:22:16 AM
Thanks 11.  Always like speed in a defender (Orlich).  Makes it easier to adjust to the faster speed within the college game.

Unfortunately, except for Andrean, nothing much is coming out of the Region as far as HS football is concerned. Central Indiana has many teams like Andrean already and some outstanding public schools too.

VULB#62

"Winning some games solves that dilemma." *

• Said Captain Obvious

VU2624

Quote from: VULB#62 on July 18, 2016, 10:22:16 AMThanks 11.  Always like speed in a defender (Orlich).  Makes it easier to adjust to the faster speed within the college game.

I think you're mixing players up. Dylan Johnson is the defender with the apparent wheels.

...and I also thank valpofan11 for his color on the local guys. 

VULB#62

Yep 2624.  Johnson.  100 meter guys who play LB are in short supply.  State qualifier in the 200 translates to a high motor as well. I fixed my previous post too BTW.

VU2624

Quote from: VULB#62 on July 19, 2016, 09:05:08 PMYep 2624.  Johnson.  100 meter guys who play LB are in short supply.  State qualifier in the 200 translates to a high motor as well. I fixed my previous post too BTW.

...and if a ball carrier decides to run in the wrong direction and then turn around and head in the right direction, we have our man to run him down.  ;D

VU2624

One note/clarification on recruits. One of the new QBs....Joe Mullen....is a transfer. He originally committed to Tiffin (Div II) for 2015 but doesn't appear to have played for them or was he listed on last year's roster. He's listed as a Freshman and not a RS Freshman on the Valpo roster. I assume he's eligible although that may not be the case. The transfer rules can be dicey particularly when there would be a lot of unknowns and this includes whether he matriculated through his freshman year at Tiffin (or anywhere else).

IndyValpo

Christian Coleman who was a verbal recruit I think two years ago before deciding to run track at Tennessee is a member of the US 4 by 100 relay at the Olympics.

valpotx

Wow, that would have been interesting to see him in a Valpo football uniform.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VU2624

Quote from: IndyValpo on August 15, 2016, 09:20:17 PM)

That is bizarre to be frank. His track credentials in HS should have had him as a major track recruit from the big boys. Maybe he wanted to play football or maybe he liked the school but that level of talent doesn't show up in the PFL or the Horizon League in track.