• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Football Season Predictions

Started by usc4valpo, August 28, 2016, 12:28:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M

I will go with an 0fer...I don't go to games or really even watch football.

bbtds

Quote from: vu72 on September 01, 2016, 11:36:52 AM
It will be a very tall task against Illinois State.  Currently ranked in the top 10 FCS, they played for the championship against NDSU in 2014.  I'm thinking a 35 point loss, 42-7.

I'm trying to keep hope and say a 35 point loss to Illinois State is realistic but I just can't. I think it will be a 70+ point loss like we had against Youngstown State a couple of years ago.

covufan

Quote from: bbtds on September 01, 2016, 09:25:38 PM
It will be a very tall task against Illinois State.  Currently ranked in the top 10 FCS, they played for the championship against NDSU in 2014.  I'm thinking a 35 point loss, 42-7.

I'm trying to keep hope and say a 35 point loss to Illinois State is realistic but I just can't. I think it will be a 70+ point loss like we had against Youngstown State a couple of years ago.
Would love to see a 42-7 score - things might be looking up for future games.  If we score more than 7 and keep them below 50, it might be considered a positive on both sides of the ball.

Valpo89

Whatever happens, I hope it's worth the $80,000 payday.

usc4valpo

they only got 80G for this trip? Seriously?

ISU 62, Valpo 7

valporun

It's a bus trip, so $80,000 might actually be a bargain. I'll be watching this game on ESPN3 tomorrow night.

VU2624

Quote from: VUOR63 on September 01, 2016, 05:25:26 PMI hope we pound the rock instead of trying to implement a glitzy no huddle/fast break offense that leads to lopsided scores.  I don't even know who the running backs are but it's not rocket science--get north and south and take 38 seconds between plays.  The key to success this year is keeping the defense off the field. I remember losing to USD a couple years ago on a hail mary.  I think Coach C is astute enough to figure out ways to stay in games.

I agree re the ball control however with a RB who's a bit wispy I'm concerned if he can handle the carries of a big back such as Bhall.

....and thanks for the reminder of the single dumbest defensive scheme in recent years.  ;D

vu72

So the first half is over and I think we are showing a lot of improvement.  Down 34-10 but, 14 of their points have nothing to do with talent. Clark threw a pick 6 on the second play and then had a fumble roll all the way down to the 10.  On the other side  we dropped a wide open pass that should have gone for 6.  We're a little banged up but I think we are doing well against a senior laden team who is in the top 10.

Clearly we are bigger and more experienced and it is showing.  Our linemen have gained between 10-25 lbs of muscle and most are still sophomores.  The announcers say we only have 5 seniors on the team.  Progress for sure...

Oh, one final thought, I HATE Ryan Clark's release.  It looks like he is hitting his ear the thing is so low.  Maybe fine for a 5 yard pass but he can't be the future.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VU2624

Feel a little bit better about things. Defense looked more stout than last year. It would figure that the OL and DL would struggle against a team this good and they wore down a bit as the game went on. Clarke made some nice throws and some terrible throws and, frankly, he looks like the same guy as last year. Behind Morgan there appears to be no juice in the backfield however it was their first game.

Nunes getting injured isn't going to help. Looked like ankle.

Side notes...Drake lost to Quincy (????). Stetson is giving Sacred Heart a tussle. I don't know what that says but I thought Stetson would have a much better team this year anyway and they have the league's best player. Morehead State went down to James Madison 80-7. Davidson and Butler went down to Georgetown and Indiana State respectively. Dayton beat Central State. None of those were blowouts either way.

edit: Sacred Heart held on to win 18-14 but Stetson had the lead after 3 Quarters.

Dojan123

I have a business trip near Sacred Heart. Going to catch the game on Saturday to see my nephew play.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bbtds

Thank you to Illinois State for taking the foot off the accelerator pedal. There is some real hope that the defense will be exceptional this year and actually shutdown some of their lesser opponents. The offense will get better and put points on the board.

vu72

Quote from: bbtds on September 06, 2016, 09:47:11 AM

Thank you to Illinois State for taking the foot off the accelerator pedal. There is some real hope that the defense will be exceptional this year and actually shutdown some of their lesser opponents. The offense will get better and put points on the board.

Not really sure that happened until well into the fourth quarter.  Their first string quarterback played until 10 minutes left and presumably they wouldn't have him out their without the first string line.  We played our backup QB all of the second half and for good reason.  Clark made some bonehead throws and his fumble went backwards about 50 yards to our 10.  An easy score from there.  Ex the interception on the second play for a pick six and the fumble for an easy score and the score could well have been a lot closer.  Coach said in the preview for next week that Frank Catrine may be able to play this coming week and that JJ Nuness, although hurt, may be able to go as well.  I look for a game within two scores against another scholarship team that beat the tar out of us last year.  I'll say, 28-14.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VU2624

Quote from: vu72 on September 06, 2016, 10:15:52 AMNot really sure that happened until well into the fourth quarter.  Their first string quarterback played until 10 minutes left and presumably they wouldn't have him out their without the first string line.  We played our backup QB all of the second half and for good reason.  Clark made some bonehead throws and his fumble went backwards about 50 yards to our 10.  An easy score from there.  Ex the interception on the second play for a pick six and the fumble for an easy score and the score could well have been a lot closer.  Coach said in the preview for next week that Frank Catrine may be able to play this coming week and that JJ Nuness, although hurt, may be able to go as well.  I look for a game within two scores against another scholarship team that beat the tar out of us last year.  I'll say, 28-14.

Sacred Heart had a tough time with Stetson although Stetson had a 12 point lead into the 3rd quarter and Sacred Heart shut them down most of the final 3 quarters. They outgained Stetson by a considerable margin. As I said in another post, I don't know what it means.

Vs. ISU, Valpo's OL did not play well and they've lost Terence Roberts apparently. Todd and Dave referenced the issue of the team melting down when things go bad as was the case last year. There's definitely some meltdown at times but I'm not sure it is the team overall.

Absent a short to medium passing game, the offense will struggle and the QB really struggles with this part of the game. The occasional accurate deep throw does not lead to an efficient passing game and it's unlikely that the offense will be able to run the ball without at least the threat of a passing game. Poor decisions, inaccurate throws, no concerns about speed under center.

I was pretty impressed by the defense who was absent at least one starting LBer. Let's hope JJ is going to be ok.

footballgods

Quote from: VUOR63 on September 01, 2016, 05:25:26 PM
I hope we pound the rock instead of trying to implement a glitzy no huddle/fast break offense that leads to lopsided scores.  I don't even know who the running backs are but it's not rocket science--get north and south and take 38 seconds between plays.  The key to success this year is keeping the defense off the field.

I remember losing to USD a couple years ago on a hail mary.  I think Coach C is astute enough to figure out ways to stay in games.

footballgods

Sat game- the only points scored was on a defense and special teams!