• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #2 - @ Sacred Heart

Started by VULB#62, September 07, 2016, 05:14:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2624

Quote from: VULB#62 on September 10, 2016, 08:26:21 PMI was working and missed the whole darn game (except for two game tracker checks).  But viewing post game stats i got the impression that the freshman QB stood in there, did not make a lot of typical starter errors and did not cough up the ball like Ryan did last week. It appeared that the second quarter was a defensive brain fart. Other than that we seemed to play respectably. The stat sheet said Simpson tried a 55 yarder, but the ball was on like the 30 something and when you add 7 for placement that comes to somewhere around 48. That is still pretty good in that he got it off and was wide rt I believe. I think we have upgraded at kicker. We have survived the two most testing games of the early season. I dont know if the SHU/Stetson score is comparable, but we now have an opponent that will enable us to better prepare for PFL action. I hope we did not sustain any more bad injuries going into Trinity International.

The interior lines of SHU just dominated after the first few drives. They were outsized and quicked. Couldn't really stop the run and had no pass rush which led to wide open receivers. The OL opened no holes nearly at all all game although they did provide some decent protection considering the circumstances.

When Valpo plays teams in which they can match up at least a little with the interior lines, they should be ok. IOW within the PFL.

VULB#62

Quote from: Dojan123 on September 10, 2016, 06:09:33 PM
Valpo scored more points on Illinois State than Northwestern did today.

Holy crap. I just found out that ISU beat NU  9-7 and only allowed less that 100 yards on the ground!  NU was previously mentioned as a possible top 25 Fbs team this year. Our loss doesnt seem so bitter right now. Regardless, we were unable to carry the same effort over to SHU today -- the mark of a really good team. We have a way to go, but prospects are still moving in a positive direction I believe.

usc4valpo

Northwestern and Iowa State should face each other for the battle of futility.

I watch the second through fourth quarters yesterday, and it is obvious Valpo is more competent in football then they were last year and definitely what they were 3 years ago. I could not assess much in the second half as SHU was playing their reserves for the most part. SHU looks as if they have a good college football atmosphere, and something Valpo should aspire to.

A few things:

1. Valpo's running game is brutal and needs talent.
2. Start Seewald now. There were promising things he was doing our there.
2. On the other hand, the Saders need to air it out early and often. Their receivers and tight ends look promising. Norberg is really good after the catch.
3. It is really difficult to assess the team after facing teams with scholarship talent and treating us like ham and eggers. I think Trinity will be a better assessment.

vu72

Quote from: usc4valpo on September 11, 2016, 08:59:18 AM
Northwestern and Iowa State should face each other for the battle of futility.

I watch the second through fourth quarters yesterday, and it is obvious Valpo is more competent in football then they were last year and definitely what they were 3 years ago. I could not assess much in the second half as SHU was playing their reserves for the most part. SHU looks as if they have a good college football atmosphere, and something Valpo should aspire to.

A few things:

1. Valpo's running game is brutal and needs talent.
2. Start Seewald now. There were promising things he was doing our there.
2. On the other hand, the Saders need to air it out early and often. Their receivers and tight ends look promising. Norberg is really good after the catch.
3. It is really difficult to assess the team after facing teams with scholarship talent and treating us like ham and eggers. I think Trinity will be a better assessment.

Agree with your points.  The atmosphere at the game appeared good with a marching band and what appeared to be a decent crowd.  However, this was their homecoming game and the announced attendance was only 2406!  This, for a school with 6500 students.  Valpo had crowds of over 3000 on three occasions last year.

Our passing game is pretty solid and we still don't have Frank Catrine back.  We had 210 yards passing to their 212.  One other thing that is very impressive is our punter. Yesterday he averaged 44.9 after 43.0 in the first game.  That's a fair amount better than last year!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

bbtds

Quote from: vu72 on September 11, 2016, 10:26:47 AMHowever, this was their homecoming game and the announced attendance was only 2406!

Just think if they had played a team that wasn't so easy for homecoming. The alumni get upset when they travel so far back to their alma mater and the team loses. Valpo is the perfect homecoming opponent. :-(