• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

NCAA New Rules Proposed Men's Baskeball

Started by Just Sayin, May 11, 2019, 09:47:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just Sayin

QuoteMen's basketball
NCAA committee proposes moving 3s to international line: The NCAA men's basketball rules committee is proposing moving the 3-point line to the international distance and resetting the shot clock to 20 seconds following offensive rebounds.

Both rules could take effect next season in Division I. College basketball's other two divisions would wait until 2020-21 to move the 3-point line because of the cost.

The Playing Rules Oversight Panel will vote on the recommendations June 5.

The international 3-point distance is 22 feet, 1 3/4 inches, a little more than a foot back from the current college line.
The Times

rustnvrsleeps@yahoo.com

How much does it cost to paint a line?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just Sayin

Quote from: rustnvrsleeps@yahoo.com on May 11, 2019, 09:49:50 AM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not as much as the cost of a scholarship I'm guessing.

bbtds

Quote from: rustnvrsleeps@yahoo.com on May 11, 2019, 09:49:50 AM

Since they may have to label that as an ARC improvement and then wait for a donor to finance it Valpo may not be able to get it done either.

Ok, ok. Just kidding!  ::)

VU2014

Moving the 3 point line wouldn't be great for mid-majors, imo because it would likely lower 3 point %s across the board. Mid-majors generally can't recruit the same caliber of athletes as high majors but where they can close the gap is with shooting ability and experienced rosters. By moving the line back it will lower the 3pt %. This is obviously a broad characterization but I think it's fairly accurate

JD24

Could change spacing a bit which could help teams operating inside the paint or creating lanes to the basket.

humbleopinion

Quote from: VU2014 on May 11, 2019, 01:47:10 PMMoving the 3 point line wouldn't be great for mid-majors, imo because it would likely lower 3 point %s across the board.

I'm not industrious enough to research this myself, but I've often wondered how much the 3 pt percentage dropped and the number of 3 pt shots per possession decreased last time that the line was moved back.  I agree that this would make it tougher on a team without a true center that has to count on double-teaming the opposing center.
Beamin' Beacons

valpotx

Quote from: JD24 on May 11, 2019, 02:02:13 PM
Could change spacing a bit which could help teams operating inside the paint or creating lanes to the basket.

Just what I was thinking, especially after what we witnessed this last season.  If Sorolla comes back, and we try any of that inside post-up stuff, there will be a little bit more room for others to maneuver. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

Just Sayin

Quote from: humbleopinion on May 11, 2019, 03:30:52 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on May 11, 2019, 01:47:10 PMMoving the 3 point line wouldn't be great for mid-majors, imo because it would likely lower 3 point %s across the board.

I'm not industrious enough to research this myself, but I've often wondered how much the 3 pt percentage dropped and the number of 3 pt shots per possession decreased last time that the line was moved back.  I agree that this would make it tougher on a team without a true center that has to count on double-teaming the opposing center.

What year did they move the 3-point line back a little?

Just Sayin

QuoteThe KenPom.com database dates back to the 2001-02 season. That year, the national three-point rate was 32.1, meaning that 32.1 percent of all field-goal attempts came from three-point range. That number rose gradually from 2003 to 2008 until teams were taking 34.5 percent of their shots from downtown.

After the 2007-08 season, the NCAA moved the three-point line back one foot to its current distance of 20 feet, nine inches. The rate of attempts immediately dropped. And for six consecutive seasons, it hovered in the 32.6-33.1 range.

But it has been soaring over the past four years.

The national three-point rate in 2013-14 was 32.9.

The following season, it jumped to 34.2.

Then to 35.4.

Last year, it was 36.4.

Currently, we're at 37.4.

How much of a difference can a couple of percentage points make, though?

Well, with 351 teams playing 31-plus games per year—not to mention the increase in tempo when the shot clock was reduced to 30 seconds in 2015-16—it's a massive difference:

2013-14: 32.9 three-point rate, 6.31 made threes per game, 18.22 attempts per game
2017-18*: 37.4 three-point rate, 7.73 made threes per game, 21.93 attempts per game
*Through January 29

In four seasons, that's an increase of more than 20 percent in attempts and more than 22.5 percent in makes per game. At the current rate of made three-pointers per day, the number of made threes in this season will eclipse the number of made threes in the 2013-14 season on February 16—almost a full month before the NCAA tournament begins March 13.

Per Sports Reference, in the entire 2012-13 season, there were just eight games in which one of the teams attempted at least 40 threes—four of which only got that high because of an overtime period.

Already this season, there have been 68 instances when a team attempted at least 40 threes, including a Dec. 1 battle between Marist and The Citadel in which both sides tried at least 40 triples in regulation. Hell, Savannah State is averaging 40.8 three-point attempts per night.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2756804-is-it-time-for-mens-college-basketball-to-extend-the-three-point-line

humbleopinion

Quote from: Just Sayin on May 12, 2019, 06:22:07 AM

QuoteThe KenPom.com database dates back to the 2001-02 season. That year, the national three-point rate was 32.1, meaning that 32.1 percent of all field-goal attempts came from three-point range. That number rose gradually from 2003 to 2008 until teams were taking 34.5 percent of their shots from downtown.

After the 2007-08 season, the NCAA moved the three-point line back one foot to its current distance of 20 feet, nine inches. The rate of attempts immediately dropped. And for six consecutive seasons, it hovered in the 32.6-33.1 range.

But it has been soaring over the past four years.

The national three-point rate in 2013-14 was 32.9.

The following season, it jumped to 34.2.

Then to 35.4.

Last year, it was 36.4.

Currently, we're at 37.4.

How much of a difference can a couple of percentage points make, though?

Well, with 351 teams playing 31-plus games per year—not to mention the increase in tempo when the shot clock was reduced to 30 seconds in 2015-16—it's a massive difference:

2013-14: 32.9 three-point rate, 6.31 made threes per game, 18.22 attempts per game
2017-18*: 37.4 three-point rate, 7.73 made threes per game, 21.93 attempts per game
*Through January 29

In four seasons, that's an increase of more than 20 percent in attempts and more than 22.5 percent in makes per game. At the current rate of made three-pointers per day, the number of made threes in this season will eclipse the number of made threes in the 2013-14 season on February 16—almost a full month before the NCAA tournament begins March 13.

Per Sports Reference, in the entire 2012-13 season, there were just eight games in which one of the teams attempted at least 40 threes—four of which only got that high because of an overtime period.

Already this season, there have been 68 instances when a team attempted at least 40 threes, including a Dec. 1 battle between Marist and The Citadel in which both sides tried at least 40 triples in regulation. Hell, Savannah State is averaging 40.8 three-point attempts per night.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2756804-is-it-time-for-mens-college-basketball-to-extend-the-three-point-line

This doesn't take into account the 2015-16 switch to a thirty second shot clock which increases the number of possessions per game and, presumably, the total number of shots taken.  A better stat would be percentage of shots taken or percentage of shots per possession. 

I wonder if the increase percentage of 3 pt attempts made mirrored the number attempted.
Beamin' Beacons