• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game 13: Valpo Crusaders vs PNW Pride, 12/29, 1pm CST

Started by VU2010, December 19, 2018, 09:56:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbleopinion

I noticed that after Javon got a technical for hanging on the rim, he wasn't assessed a personal foul for the infraction.  What technical fouls are like that?
Beamin' Beacons

wh

Quote from: nkvu on December 30, 2018, 12:38:30 AM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on December 29, 2018, 11:58:48 PM
FINALLY! THIS is what I've been waiting to see all along from Coach Lottich! For the first time I really felt the fire coming from him. Now that I know he has it I want to see more of it! Keep it up coach and you'll make believers out of all of us! I think he finally gets it and so does the team. This is great to see and I am pumped up! Go Valpo! This could really be the turning point guys!

Agreed!  The tech on Freeman was pure bs and Lottich let the ref know. Good for him. I can understand somewhat laying low your first year in a new conference, but if at some point you don't let the refs know you will stand up for your guys, some refs will take the path of least resistance and give the close calls to your opponent.  It does not seem like rocket science to me to let your team know that barking at the refs is not their job, it is the coach's.  But the coach has to actually demonstrate that he has his players backs and will get on the refs when they deserve it. I'm a bit troubled about coach's almost apologetic position about "getting gritty" but then I've watched too many successful coaches turn calls in their favor by voicing their opinions on the way games are being called. Even good Christian men like Homer and Bryce picked up the occasional T!  I seem to remember a game where Homer walked out to the middle of the court, stopping play even to get one. From what I've heard Matt was a fiery player. No reason he can't bring a little of that to coaching.

Great comments! I'm starting to get excited about Valpo basketball again!

wh

Quote from: humbleopinion on December 30, 2018, 05:12:05 AM
I noticed that after Javon got a technical for hanging on the rim, he wasn't assessed a personal foul for the infraction.  What technical fouls are like that?

I noticed the same thing and was puzzled by it, as well.

talksalot

Hanging on the rim is a class B technical.  Neither a personal nor team foul.  Class A techs were assessed earlier, and those do count. 

humbleopinion

Quote from: talksalot on January 01, 2019, 12:15:07 PM
Hanging on the rim is a class B technical.  Neither a personal nor team foul.  Class A techs were assessed earlier, and those do count. 
Thanks for the explanation, John.
Beamin' Beacons

VUGrad1314

That technical was class BS It should never have been assessed He was on the rim to avoid people below him It was a terrible call and I hope the ref who called it was told just that after the game by his supervisors