• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

GAME #4: (HOMECOMING) University of Charleston @Valpo, 09/28 1:00pm

Started by VULB#62, September 22, 2019, 03:01:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpofb16

Few thoughts.

1) that UC team barely lost to Urbana so I knew that they were most likely better than our team. They had older faster more experienced players on the perimeter and we're much better on the defensive LOS

2) we completely changed our offense from the motion whatever that was to a gun look, did not matter we just don't have the talent on the majority of the oline, receiver, and QB. I'm sorry but that was not a healthy Jimmy (no zip on ball, sailed a lot balls).

3) i wouldn't say limbach is on the hotseat but running Outside Zone on 3+long more than once in a close game was a for sure head scratcher.

4) Fox's D gave up a lot of yards but created necessary turnovers to stay close. I hate to say it but if Charleston is not sloppy with the ball this is a 4-5 score game.

5) lots of work we now enter a San Diego, Dayton, Drake stretch , 0-7 looks realistic.

Finally, why did we allow Kamara and Roberts to stand on the sideline. Both of those players quit the football team within the last 9 months. (Don't give me Roberts was a 5th year senior, he pledged to stay and the coaches didn't recruit a player for that roster spot). Both of those players sure as hell would have helped today.

usc4valpo

I listened to the 4rth quarter on audio and listening to the fans on the background was actually entertaining. I thought that one dude was going to lose it.

JD24

Quote from: usc4valpo on September 28, 2019, 04:47:10 PMI listened to the 4rth quarter on audio and listening to the fans on the background was actually entertaining. I thought that one dude was going to lose it.
Do tell.

usc4valpo

Lots of screaming, some non theological expressions, some armchair qb-big, a lot of frustration over the offense

VULB#62

Quote from: JD24 on September 28, 2019, 04:10:15 PM
Welp.

The issue isn't who the QB is. No matter who they have back there, he's not going to succeed with the pass protection and the what appears to be limited ability of the WRs and/or the OC to scheme them open. One thing Cecchini could do was get WRs open. Even in the years the offense was down, there'd be receivers open but the QB at the time wasn't particularly accurate.

Yep. But his defenses were not good at keeping us in games.  Fox's defense, though,  seems like it can play some opportunistic football and hold the score down against certain teams.  But we've got zero offensive capability right now.  Gotta have both O and D or else either a super O (like Davidson last year) or a super D (like UC today).  And even then, as Davidson showed, you can still loose after putting up 45 points

JD24

Quote from: VULB#62 on September 28, 2019, 05:40:34 PM
Quote from: JD24 on September 28, 2019, 04:10:15 PMWelp. The issue isn't who the QB is. No matter who they have back there, he's not going to succeed with the pass protection and the what appears to be limited ability of the WRs and/or the OC to scheme them open. One thing Cecchini could do was get WRs open. Even in the years the offense was down, there'd be receivers open but the QB at the time wasn't particularly accurate.
Yep. But his defenses were not good at keeping us in games.  Fox's defense, though,  seems like it can play some opportunistic football and hold the score down against certain teams.  But we've got zero offensive capability right now.  Gotta have both O and D or else either a super O (like Davidson last year) or a super D (like UC today).  And even then, as Davidson showed, you can still loose after putting up 45 points
I get you completely. I was just mentioning that I don't think the staff is doing what appears to be a middling WR unit any favors in play design. The previous staff had better players but also knew had to get them open.

I may watch again a bit to see if they ever did do anything to get in the way of the DT who was in the backfield all game. As you mentioned, I don't think they did.

usc4valpo

JD24 - no one can deny your dedication if you are going to review this game. Fox needs players and the offense is offensive.

Deets

NWI GUY, who are the two fifth year senior O line men that they lost this year? I didn't know there were any fifth year seniors on the line last year.  There are two this year, though.

JD24

I may be wrong but I took the reference as being to Kamara and Roberts.

VULB#62

I'm closing my book on this game with only some positives that come to mind.

:)  Remarkable that our D was ble to hold U of C to just one TD. Yeah, we gave up some big gainers, but when the chips were down our kids made some big plays to force FGs.

:)  Booker is the real thing. Turner played his heart our.

:)  The Latsonas who was a second team all PFL last season has reappeared

:)  Good to see a crowd of 4,399 in attendance

NWIGuy

Quote from: Deets on September 28, 2019, 10:35:48 PMNWI GUY, who are the two fifth year senior O line men that they lost this year? I didn't know there were any fifth year seniors on the line last year.  There are two this year, though.
Yes. Those are the two I was referring to. I may read the rosters wrong I suppose. Thought they were on track to return in for a final year in 2019 and they seemed to disappear. I assumed that they decided not to come back.

usc4valpo

Did they graduate and decide not to play their extra year of eligibility? If that is the case, then they are football alums and I could see them supporting the team on the sidelines.

valpofb16

T-rob was a 5th year, Kamara was class of 2016 and quit, he would be a senior.

VULB#62

Quote from: valpofb16 on September 30, 2019, 11:44:31 AM
T-rob was a 5th year, Kamara was class of 2016 and quit, he would be a senior.

Just some added information from the 2018 ROSTER:

#72 Solomon Kamara - OL
RS-SO,  6-2, 285

#77 Terrance Roberts - OL
RS-JR, 6-5, 315

Terrance played a lot last season and both could have added some bulk up front this year.

valpofb16

They were literally the starting RG/RT through beginning of spring practice...

Hard to believe offense wouldn't look a bit better with Martin, Roberts, Kamara, Gessinger, Maceo in there.

I will say it does look like this staff is doing more team oriented events. Hopefully kids stay on campus and the attrition goes down.

VULB#62

Quote from: valpofb16 on October 01, 2019, 12:56:57 PM
They were literally the starting RG/RT through beginning of spring practice...

Hard to believe offense wouldn't look a bit better with Martin, Roberts, Kamara, Gessinger, Maceo in there.

I will say it does look like this staff is doing more team oriented events. Hopefully kids stay on campus and the attrition goes down.

Any idea why the exodus of eligible quality players, 16?

valpofb16

I've hear loss of love for the game as primarily the number one reason. (more than just these kids)

Seniors this year would have been a combined (2016-2019) 12-21 heading into this season record wise.

Add in a staff that didn't recruit them, cold weather of fall practices, and daily grind of a football season. I'm sure it all took a toll.

Wish nothing but best for those guys mentioned. Just thought it was odd to have several players with current eligibility standing next to alumni at the game.