• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

lol

Started by Just Sayin, October 22, 2019, 12:25:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just Sayin

:rotfl:

Quote233. Valparaiso: Pilfered by up-transfers, Valpo is unfortunately assembled, roster-wise, to have its poorest season in more than a decade. 

The Anointed
https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/ranking-every-college-basketball-team-from-no-1-to-353-for-2019-20-and-an-interesting-fact-on-every-team/

M

This dude hasn't been paying attention the last few years. Can't get that much worse...can it?!

govalpogo

I mean, I get it.  If this guy has to find something to say through rudimentary research into all 353 teams then I'm guessing that the transfers do indeed stand out as leaving the team in rough shape.  Most of us had similar thoughts about our prospects in the middle of transfer gate (some still do, I'm sure).  I, for one, am more excited for the "fresh start" than I would have been if everyone had stayed as I would fear another season of infuriating under-performance.  Only time will tell if it all works out. 

bbtds

Matt Norlander

I don't run from my issues, I embrace them. Yes, I have a problem. Every October, as my family has come to expect and dread, I can't stop ranking college basketball teams. As in, every single one of them. Three-hundred-and-fifty-freaking-three. I consult the data, check rosters, check in with coaches, rank and re-rank and then re-rank another 50-or-so times. It's wacko. I love it.

You get what you pay for.

vu72

I hope folks don't pay for this crap.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

elephtheria47

I like Matt Norlander and believe hes one of the better ones out there. Phil steele does the same with D1 football teams, makes an award winning magazine,  and is well respected nationally. He starts on the next year the day after the championship game. I dont know what effort or commitment Norlander puts into his rankings, but it takes incredible time to evaluate every team. On the surface, I dont think he is too far off for a "non-biased/casual" observer. Transfers are either good or bad (shocking! Lol) and when players "transfer up" the bad part is usually with the team losing the talent. I dont think our scenario is unique, but I do think it is an outlier where its "addition by subtraction." Individually they all may have talent, but we certainly know collectively as a whole we were lacking last year. I dont agree with him that we will have the worst season in years, but I cant say hes crazy for guessing that. The best thing is the season is so close so we can debate about the results on the court and let them speak for us 😀

VUGrad1314

Respect is earned on the floor. Before we can laugh about low preseason rankings national perception and pundits expectations we need to start winning. It's that simple.

usc4valpo

I don't think we have any clue how this season will go. I am optimistic for some improvement as I think some of transfers that left are not that big a loss. Javon Freeman being back is a huge plus.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on October 23, 2019, 09:24:20 PM
Respect is earned on the floor. Before we can laugh about low preseason rankings national perception and pundits expectations we need to start winning. It's that simple.

I think the disbelief in the program from pundits is good to a degree.  Disbelief can breed the desire to prove them wrong.  Looking forward to seeing if "this" group has the character necessary to solidify where other teams fell to pieces.

bbtds

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on October 23, 2019, 09:24:20 PM

Yes, but if they do I hope you have been seasoning your hats.   ;D