• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Athletic Director U poll - Missouri Valley

Started by jtm, December 05, 2019, 07:28:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jtm

https://www.athleticdirectoru.com/articles/athletic-department-power-index-mvc/

Just so everyone understands the perception of the desirability of the Valpo athletic department, per their peers in other administrations.

VUGrad1314

Embarrassing. What a drop off. The Indiana schools have been dragging this conference down for years (not much of that is our fault but still we haven't done much to help since we've joined At least we're the "best" of the Indiana schools? So we've got that going for us I guess.) What's stopping us from being more like UNI or at least Bradley?

wh

A survey that doesn't have academic reputation or standing as a key dimension isn't worth the paper it's written on.  I would have expected such an omission from a HL survey, but not from the MVC.

VUGrad1314

Academics are important when evaluating a university as a whole but they do not win games...

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on December 06, 2019, 12:46:19 AM
Academics are important when evaluating a university as a whole but they do not win games...

And schools don't exist without academics . . .

Just Sayin

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on December 06, 2019, 07:24:16 AM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on December 06, 2019, 12:46:19 AMAcademics are important when evaluating a university as a whole but they do not win games...

Academic my dear Watson.

wh

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on December 06, 2019, 07:24:16 AM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on December 06, 2019, 12:46:19 AM

If I recall correctly, when the announcement was made that Valpo was switching from the HL to the MVC, Doug Elgin offered 3 reasons why they considered Valpo the best choice - winning bb tradition, national bb image, and strong academics that would help elevate the conference's academic standing for increasingly more rigorous APR (Adademic Progress Rate) scoring requirements.  I would think that qualifies academics to be on the list of important athletic-related institutional factors in the MVC.  ???  BTW, institutional "quality of life" is considered important enough, but institutional "academic standing/reputation" isn't?  Totally shallow poll.  This is what happens when you have jocks or sports reporters putting polls together. 

elephtheria47

Of course academics are important and should be the priority for universities,  but this is a survey/poll of athletics by the people whose job it is to make sure their athletic programs are successful. ADs dont advance because they graduate 100% of their athletes or because their school has great academics. It sucks because this is the perception of  independent and knowledgeable professionals, and yet we dont see much if any action to improve our perception. With the cutting of the two sports, hopefully we will begin seeing a new focus on our resources.

oklahomamick

I was surprised there were two teams behind us.
CRUSADERS!!!