• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Good Horizon games tonight!

Started by vu72, December 05, 2011, 01:46:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

Two winnable games against well known opponents.  Detroit plays St. John's in Detroit and I think its a TV game honoring Dick Vitale and the new floor, not sure.  The other has Milwaukee playing DePaul.  Both games are very closely rated by Sagarin with DePaul being the tougher match-up but going up against one of our best teams.  GO HORIZON!!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

swiftmutiny

The Detroit game will be on tonight on ESPN2 (or ESPN3.com) at 6:00PM Central time. They'll be dedicating their new Dick Vitale court tonight.  ;D

agibson

valpo84

Detroit with a convincing victory over a BigLeast team. Can we double it tonight? Why does DePaul play UWM (Milwuakee) but won't play Valpo?
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

swiftmutiny

Milwaukee destroying DePaul in the first half... 35 to 13 with 9 minutes left.

StlVUFan

Panthers struggling a bit in 2nd half against full-court press (Bryce, take note), but not enough to make it close... yet.

swiftmutiny

Horizon League 2-0 over the Big East tonight. Final score Milwaukee 87 DePaul 76.

valporun

An excellent night for the Horizon League, although it came against two of the lower level Big East teams. I feel for St. John's though. They've been playing and practicing most of this season without Steve Lavin, who is battling prostate cancer himself. He tries to be there with his team, when his energy levels allow, but it has been a tough ride for him. It was good news out of Detroit tonight. A much needed win for them.

dylanrocks

Can we get a Horizon League-Big East Challenge against the bottom half of the Big East please? ;D

valpotx

Good job by Detroit and Milwaukee.  Did Holman play in this game? 

I would love to get games agains the lower tier of the Big East, or even more games against CUSA, MVC, MWC, or WAC. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

Holman did not play.  Detroit actually looked fairly disciplined and Ray Jr. had 20 points.  Nice game for them.  St. John's is VERY athletic but not terribly big and VERY young.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

I have a friend from HS that graduated from St. John's, and when I found out earlier this year they had a player with the first name God'sgift, I just had to rib him a bit.  His father is a minister (Nigerian family), and he has brothers named Promise, God'swill and Precious.  It has to be the most uniquely named family I have ever read about, but good for them in their religious dedication  :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

wh

Quote from: valpotx on December 06, 2011, 10:54:12 AM
I have a friend from HS that graduated from St. John's, and when I found out earlier this year they had a player with the first name God'sgift, I just had to rib him a bit.  His father is a minister (Nigerian family), and he has brothers named Promise, God'swill and Precious.  It has to be the most uniquely named family I have ever read about, but good for them in their religious dedication  :)
You think these sound strange, take a look at these:

Top 20 weirdest celebrity baby names:
#20. Kal-El  Child Of: Nicolas Cage
#19. Pilot Inspektor  Child Of: Jason Lee
#18. Fifi Trixibelle  Child Of: Bob Geldof and Paula Yates
#17. Apple Child Of: Gwyneth Paltrow and Chris "You Know How I Know You're Gay? You Like Coldplay" Martin
#16. Coco  Child Of: Courteney Cox and David Arquette
#15. Kyd  Child Of: David Duchovny and Tea Leoni
#14. Sage Moonblood  Son Of: Sylvester Stallone
#13. Destry  Child Of: Steven Spielberg
#12. Maddox  Adopted child Of: Angelina Jolie (and Brad Pitt)
#11. Memphis Eve  Child Of: Bono
#10. Ocean  Child Of: Forest Whitaker
#9. Prince Michael II/Blanket  Child Of: Michael Jackson
#8. Rocket Rodriguez  Child Of: Robert Rodriguez
#7. Blue Angel  Child Of:The Edge (From U2)
#6. Audio Science  Child Of: Actress Shannyn Sossamon
#4 & 5. Moon Unit and Diva Thin Muffin  Children Of: Frank Zappa
#3. Moxie Crimefighter  Child Of: Penn Jillette
#2. Tu Morrow  Child Of: Rob Morrow (from the TV show Numb3rs)
1. Jermajesty  Child Of: Jermaine Jackson

http://www.cracked.com/article_15765_the-20-most-bizarre-celebrity-baby-names_p2.html

agibson

This is sort of a tradition in Nigeria - hardly universal, but not uncommon.  Their president is Goodluck Jonathan.

covufan

Quote from: wh on December 06, 2011, 12:26:10 PM
You think these sound strange, take a look at these:

Top 20 weirdest celebrity baby names:
#20. Kal-El  Child Of: Nicolas Cage
#19. Pilot Inspektor  Child Of: Jason Lee
#18. Fifi Trixibelle  Child Of: Bob Geldof and Paula Yates
#17. Apple Child Of: Gwyneth Paltrow and Chris "You Know How I Know You're Gay? You Like Coldplay" Martin
#16. Coco  Child Of: Courteney Cox and David Arquette
#15. Kyd  Child Of: David Duchovny and Tea Leoni
#14. Sage Moonblood  Son Of: Sylvester Stallone
#13. Destry  Child Of: Steven Spielberg
#12. Maddox  Adopted child Of: Angelina Jolie (and Brad Pitt)
#11. Memphis Eve  Child Of: Bono
#10. Ocean  Child Of: Forest Whitaker
#9. Prince Michael II/Blanket  Child Of: Michael Jackson
#8. Rocket Rodriguez  Child Of: Robert Rodriguez
#7. Blue Angel  Child Of:The Edge (From U2)
#6. Audio Science  Child Of: Actress Shannyn Sossamon
#4 & 5. Moon Unit and Diva Thin Muffin  Children Of: Frank Zappa
#3. Moxie Crimefighter  Child Of: Penn Jillette
#2. Tu Morrow  Child Of: Rob Morrow (from the TV show Numb3rs)
1. Jermajesty  Child Of: Jermaine Jackson

http://www.cracked.com/article_15765_the-20-most-bizarre-celebrity-baby-names_p2.html

I remember looking at the starting lineups for the Indiana HS final four around 1980 - I believe the team was Broad Ripple, but could be wrong.  They had a player named "King Solomon Duke", or just King Duke.  Also knew of someone named Allison Wanda Land. 

valporun

Just wait until Meta World Peace starts playing some hoops in the coming weeks. He might make World B. Free a stronger name in the basketball world.