• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Bobby Capobianco

Started by vu72, December 19, 2011, 09:27:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

Nice story about Bobby in the Post-Trib:

http://posttrib.suntimes.com/sports/colleges/9527676-419/mutka-vus-capobianco-roots-ex-iu-teammates.html

I can't wait for this guy to be eligible.  Add him to the mix, together with Fernandez and we a powerful front court who can bang with anybody.

For those of you who haven't seen him play, here is a small clip showing a little of what he can bring to our team:

http://www.courier-journal.com/VideoNetwork/34458206001/Recruiting-Bobby-Capobianco
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

rlh

Quote from: vu72 on December 19, 2011, 09:27:00 AM
Nice story about Bobby in the Post-Trib:

http://posttrib.suntimes.com/sports/colleges/9527676-419/mutka-vus-capobianco-roots-ex-iu-teammates.html

I can't wait for this guy to be eligible.  Add him to the mix, together with Fernandez and we a powerful front court who can bang with anybody.

For those of you who haven't seen him play, here is a small clip showing a little of what he can bring to our team:

http://www.courier-journal.com/VideoNetwork/34458206001/Recruiting-Bobby-Capobianco
Some of you seem to be putting a lot of pressure and hopes on a guy who hasn't played a minute of college basketball, and very little basketball of any type.  I hope Fernandez is all that too, but let's be realistic is our expectations

vu72

So my post was primarily about Bobby but you seem to want to lecture about a small comment concerning Fernandez.  What perhaps I should have said was:  Add Bobby to the mix of Kevin, Richie, Rowdy, Vucic and, if he can walk and chew gum with his 7' wing span and jumping ability--Fernandez, even though he hasn't played a single game of basketball at the college level, and we have a powerful front court who can bang with anybody.  Better?  Jeez.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Crusader03

Quote from: vu72 on December 19, 2011, 10:48:14 AM
So my post was primarily about Bobby but you seem to want to lecture about a small comment concerning Fernandez.  What perhaps I should have said was:  Add Bobby to the mix of Kevin, Richie, Rowdy, Vucic and, if he can walk and chew gum with his 7' wing span and jumping ability--Fernandez, even though he hasn't played a single game of basketball at the college level, and we have a powerful front court who can bang with anybody.  Better?  Jeez.

I was thinking the same thing, '72.  Totally unnecessary "talking to."  Thanks for posting the links.  The obvious weakness on this year's team is a lack of depth in the post.  If Capobianco and Fernandez come in and are just superior to Vucic (hopefully we get much more out of them), we have a roster that truly goes 10 deep...Buggs, Harris, Broekhoff, Kenney, Bogan, Boggs, Vin Wijk, Edwards, Fernandez and Copabianco....any one of those guys could be our best player on any given night.  How many HL teams (or teams in the country for that matter), have that kind of solid depth and production from top to bottom?

sectionee

None of my IU friends were very high on Capo, but they might have an agenda of their own.  Hopefully these two can step in and give the team what it needs to get over the hump (whenever we establish what that hump is exactly).

rlh

Quote from: vu72 on December 19, 2011, 10:48:14 AM
Never meant to "lecture" you, and my comments were not meant just for you.  I just think we should wait before we put him so high on the list.  Hopefully he'll be as good as we all want, but to annoint him now seems premature.   I'm sorry if I offended you.  I didn't mean too

valporun

I have to agree with rlh's intentions of his original comments. So many of you put a guy on a pedestal because of what he could do in high school games, that you already believe he's going to make an immediate difference in what the team will do. Too often we focus on the details of the play "sight unseen", in terms of watch words like 7-footer, "jump out of the gym", great shooter, game changer, etc. It gets our hopes up, yes, but in the long run, it gets us to this point where we're pinning each other in corners for observations that are made, and not lived up to. rlh is basically helping me feel that my opinion about those being giddy about ESPN rankings and numbers don't always do justice to what the recruit can do, unless you've actually seen the recruit play, and focused on his weaknesses as much as we want to do with his strengths. There have been some posters who have come along and said that a particular recruit might be good to watch, but he might have a weaknesses that makes his strengths hurt his game. I also always make the comment that some of these guys might play in conferences/leagues/divisions that aren't very strong, so they are able to dominate because of their abilities, or lack of talents the opponents might have to stop him. Only so much can be said in July or August about a recruit, but once we get to December or postseason, that's when the best idea of what the recruit did shows. This is when we can talk about the good things the recruit does, the bad things that need improving, what kind of real impact the player had when he was on the court, and see what changes he'll make after a season in a Valpo uniform.

Crusader03

I think the assumption is that if a kid was good enough to get offers from big 6 conferences, they should at the very least be contributors here.  That is not putting a guy on a pedestal.  Those are realistic expectations.  Boggs, Bogan and Capobianco were thought of highly enough to play in the ACC, SEC and Big 10 respectively.  We should have high hopes for them.  UW was after Vashil and some of us have actually seen him in action...he is probably the best athlete we have in practice.  Given that info, we should expect him to contribute.

Not sure where the whole pedestal thing came from.

cmack

Until he shows something on the court with a Valpo uniform on, he is just another "project" taking up a roster spot.  A more athletic version of Vucic is still just as useless.  Hopefully I am wrong.

vu72

Quote from: cmack on December 19, 2011, 05:33:29 PM
Until he shows something on the court with a Valpo uniform on, he is just another "project" taking up a roster spot.  A more athletic version of Vucic is still just as useless.  Hopefully I am wrong.

Try to follow the original intent of the post.  It is about Bobby Capobianco with a brief, seemingly ill advised reference to Vashil.  So, do you think Capo will be a project taking up a roster spot?

rlh

Quote from: vu72 on December 19, 2011, 07:58:10 PM
Quote from: cmack on December 19, 2011, 05:33:29 PM

Try to follow the original intent of the post.  It is about Bobby Capobianco with a brief, seemingly ill advised reference to Vashil.  So, do you think Capo will be a project taking up a roster spot?

With his experience and high school record, I would hope he would be a big contributor.....but we shall see.....I'm betting on him

justducky

It would be great to have a true power foreward 4 on the team who is also a reliable jump shooter. I kind of got the feeling from some of the reading that Bobby wasn't hitting nearly enough of the shots he liked to take and thus the decline in his playing time and eventual departure from IU. Edwards may yet step foreward and excel but both his mid range and 3 point shots appear to need some work.

I am hoping that we do not enter the 12-13 season with 5 players much better suited to the 5 than the 4. If we do then Bryce may have to reengineer the twin towers to get these guys some playing time. I refuse to predict anything but I wouldn't count anybody or any combination of anybodies out. This could get really interesting, and I hope that the competition for playing time at both the 4 and the 5 is as intense as I expect.