• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

New Athletics Fundraiser

Started by ml2, November 30, 2012, 05:46:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

milanmiracle

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on December 04, 2012, 12:42:37 PM
Sigh...a university whose reputation depends on its athletic prowess is like an NFL team that depends on its cheerleaders.

As was already said, that's the way the world works at this time. Unfortunately graduation rates and academic successes aren't exactly scrolling across the ticker on ESPN. Sad but true.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

valpotx

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on December 04, 2012, 03:33:09 PM
Quote from: vu72 on December 04, 2012, 03:16:48 PMBecause the won the 1947 National Basketball NCAA tournament, led by a guy named Bob Cousy.

Never knew that, but I know Holy Cross.  I guarantee you no one under 40 knows that, nor cares, any more than they care about CCNY (which I did know of). 

I know Holy Cross because it's related to Notre Dame (run by the same order).  Also because Bill Simmons went there (and THAT is why anyone under 50 knows HC in a sports setting).

I have no clue how I know of Holy Cross to be honest.  It is definitely not because of something from 1947, or anything related to Notre Dame.  I imagine it was because they were on TV around NCAA tournament time growing up
"Don't mess with Texas"

covufan

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on December 04, 2012, 12:42:37 PM
Sigh...a university whose reputation depends on its athletic prowess is like an NFL team that depends on its cheerleaders.

If you are in KC, Jacksonville, Oakland or Philly, what else do you have?  If not an NFL team, at least NFL caliber cheerleaders!

zvillehaze

Quote from: vu72 on December 04, 2012, 03:16:48 PMBecause the won the 1947 National Basketball NCAA tournament, led by a guy named Bob Cousy.

Never knew that, but I know Holy Cross.  I guarantee you no one under 40 knows that, nor cares, any more than they care about CCNY (which I did know of). 

I know Holy Cross because it's related to Notre Dame (run by the same order).  Also because Bill Simmons went there (and THAT is why anyone under 50 knows HC in a sports setting).

Unless I'm confused, it was the College of Holy Cross Crusaders (Worcester, MA) where Cousy and Bill Simmons went to college, while Holy Cross College (Notre Dame, IN) is the school administered by members of the Congregation of Holy Cross, who also run the University of Notre Dame and St. Mary's College.  I'm not aware of any connection between Holy Cross (MA) and Notre Dame, other than their Roman Catholic affiliation.

bbtds

Quote from: valpotx on December 04, 2012, 11:30:17 AM
Definitely correct.  Much more of the population will hear of your athletic achievements versus academic, which in turn will generate interest in your academics.  How many people truly know that Cal Tech or Carnegie Mellon are great schools?  Only those people that are solely focused on academics.  When we are on national TV and the announcers tout our academic programs, then people notice much more than simple articles or ratings...

Actually Cal Tech is now very widely known because of a certain TV show called "The Big Bang Theory." Chuck Lorre, the creator of the show, was on Conan and said he was told by the academic community that due to that one show the English speaking countries where the show is on TV are starting to see an increase in science and math majors because they have made it cool to be a geek.

crusadermoe

Here are some more......ACADEMIC people know that these schools are likely Top 25 in US News.    Emory U, Washington University, and Case Western Reserve.

What percentage of people NOT employed in academia could tell you where those 3 are located?    My guess is fewer than 10% of high school kids and their parents.   

covufan

Quote from: zvillehaze on December 04, 2012, 04:34:48 PM

Unless I'm confused, it was the College of Holy Cross Crusaders (Worcester, MA) where Cousy and Bill Simmons went to college, while Holy Cross College (Notre Dame, IN) is the school administered by members of the Congregation of Holy Cross, who also run the University of Notre Dame and St. Mary's College.  I'm not aware of any connection between Holy Cross (MA) and Notre Dame, other than their Roman Catholic affiliation.
This is what I thought as well. 

covufan

Quote from: crusadermoe on December 04, 2012, 05:22:29 PM
Here are some more......ACADEMIC people know that these schools are likely Top 25 in US News.    Emory U, Washington University, and Case Western Reserve.

What percentage of people NOT employed in academia could tell you where those 3 are located?    My guess is fewer than 10% of high school kids and their parents.   
I'm not in the acamdemic arena, but I'll give it a shot:  Atlanta, St. Louis, Pittsburgh. 

covufan

Quote from: covufan on December 04, 2012, 06:21:48 PM
Quote from: crusadermoe on December 04, 2012, 05:22:29 PM

I'm not in the acamdemic arena, but I'll give it a shot:  Atlanta, St. Louis, Pittsburgh. 
I didn't think Pittsburgh was correct - Cleveland.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: zvillehaze on December 04, 2012, 04:34:48 PMUnless I'm confused, it was the College of Holy Cross Crusaders (Worcester, MA) where Cousy and Bill Simmons went to college, while Holy Cross College (Notre Dame, IN) is the school administered by members of the Congregation of Holy Cross, who also run the University of Notre Dame and St. Mary's College.  I'm not aware of any connection between Holy Cross (MA) and Notre Dame, other than their Roman Catholic affiliation.

you're right--the CSC run Stonehill College in Easton, Mass.  I always get those wires crossed, for possibly obvious reasons.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: crusadermoe on December 04, 2012, 05:22:29 PMWhat percentage of people NOT employed in academia could tell you where those 3 are located?    My guess is fewer than 10% of high school kids and their parents.   

Then again, how many kids have a chance at getting in to those places?  Seems to me that the kids that need to know about places like this DO know they exist.

As setshot would be happy to tell you, all three have D-III athletics, and still manage to get 4.4 times as many (Emory), 3 times as many (Case), and 7 times as many (Wash U) applicants as Valpo.

Do you think a higher percentage of high school kids and their parents know about Valpo--or any Horizon school--than those three?

Relying on athletics to boost a profile your academic institution doesn't otherwise have is like relying on makeup, perfume, and state-of-the-art undergarments to attract men.

Sooner or later they all come off and we see what you're really made of.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vu72

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on December 04, 2012, 07:20:42 PM
Quote from: crusadermoe on December 04, 2012, 05:22:29 PMWhat percentage of people NOT employed in academia could tell you where those 3 are located?    My guess is fewer than 10% of high school kids and their parents.   

Then again, how many kids have a chance at getting in to those places?  Seems to me that the kids that need to know about places like this DO know they exist.

As setshot would be happy to tell you, all three have D-III athletics, and still manage to get 4.4 times as many (Emory), 3 times as many (Case), and 7 times as many (Wash U) applicants as Valpo.

Do you think a higher percentage of high school kids and their parents know about Valpo--or any Horizon school--than those three?

ly made of.Relying on athletics to boost a profile your academic institution doesn't otherwise have is like relying on makeup, perfume, and state-of-the-art undergarments to attract men.

Sooner or later they all come off and we see what you're real

Not a very fair comparison. Emory, Case or Wash U, and certainly Cal Tech have much higher academic profiles than Valpo and thus get more applicants.  If you asked the average non-basketball fan where Duke is they probably would have a tough time as well.  I have it from a very solid source (a Valpo fund raiser) who knows a person in a similar spot at Duke.  The Duke person readily admits that application volume DIRECTLY coincides with basketball success.

Now, how about a more fair question:  I named 5 schools ranked higher than Holy Cross in US News rankings.  Can you tell me if you'd heard of them or where they are located?  Haverford, Hamilton, Bates, Scripps and Barnard?  Have at it--no googling allowed!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

LaPorteAveApostle

Fair enough!

Haverford...Connecticut?

Hamilton--NY obv.

Bates--Maine.

Scripps--dunno. Somewhere out west.

Barnard College--Maine.

LaPorteAveApostle

I'll give myself 50% on that (2.5 out of 5).

Not bad for 9 years of college.

VULB#62

vu72

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on December 04, 2012, 08:04:49 PM
I'll give myself 50% on that (2.5 out of 5).

Not bad for 9 years of college.

Reminds me of one of the great movie quotes of all time:  When faced with expulsion, Bluto says: "great, seven years of college down the drain"
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

LaPorteAveApostle

Almost as good a movie:

Farley:  Hey, a lotta people go to college for 7 years.

Spade:  Yeah, they're called "doctors".

setshot

Tom Heinsohn and Togo Palazzi were two Jersey guys that played at Holy Cross in the 50's. Both also played for the Celtics,with Heinsohn being in the NBA Hall of Fame in good old Springfield,MA. Palazzi,my age,was a great college player at HC (won an NIT Championship),but he really didn't cut it in the pros (couldn't go left). HC is now in the Patriot League,a real comedown from the glory years of the 40's and 50's. But hey,they made it "big" one time,more than Valpo can presently say. And how about Loyola - nat'l champs in the 50's. Now its our turn. Go Valpo! :thumbsup:

StlVUFan

Quote from: valpotx on December 04, 2012, 11:30:17 AM
Definitely correct.  Much more of the population will hear of your athletic achievements versus academic, which in turn will generate interest in your academics.  How many people truly know that Cal Tech or Carnegie Mellon are great schools?  Only those people that are solely focused on academics.  When we are on national TV and the announcers tout our academic programs, then people notice much more than simple articles or ratings...
Anyone who worked in big software industry knew the name Carnegie Mellon 20 years ago.  Not so much any more, but they were huge in quality standards, which all of us had to try to strive for because we believed it would translate into more lucrative contracts.  I can only speak for Boeing, but lots of my co-workers down through the years were sports fans, including College Sports.