• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

NYTs article on Butler

Started by setshot, February 14, 2012, 07:32:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

setshot

Pete Thamel has written an article in today's NYT (2-14) titled: "For Butler,a Bumpy Road Back."  Someone should post the article so all can read it. Ouch! :'(

valpopal

This was a fine read and somewhat of a sports version of a Valentine's Day card to Butler. Congrats to Butler on the good press. The amount of free publicity Butler received the past two years is amazing and well earned, and it should serve as a reminder to Valpo how significant success can be to the university.

Spending money on the basketball program, even to build a new or better facility, should be seen as an investment. We had a taste of that high profile publicity during the Sweet Sixteen run, but Valpo didn't capitalize on the national attention as much as it should have. It is time for another push to the basketball spotlight with a winning team under Bryce, which would provide a compelling story of the Sweet Sixteen hero bringing Valpo back to the NCAA as its coach and give the VU marketing people a second chance at making the most of the situation. 

FWalum

Good article. I suspect we are taking the bus rather than flying to YSU and Cleveland?  I wonder if that has any effect on recruiting?
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

Valpo89

Very good article. Maybe this year, VU can be inspired by its loss to Youngstown in the same way Butler was last year.

crusaderjoe

Quote from: valpopal on February 14, 2012, 09:21:56 AM
This was a fine read and somewhat of a sports version of a Valentine's Day card to Butler. Congrats to Butler on the good press. The amount of free publicity Butler received the past two years is amazing and well earned, and it should serve as a reminder to Valpo how significant success can be to the university.

Spending money on the basketball program, even to build a new or better facility, should be seen as an investment. We had a taste of that high profile publicity during the Sweet Sixteen run, but Valpo didn't capitalize on the national attention as much as it should have. It is time for another push to the basketball spotlight with a winning team under Bryce, which would provide a compelling story of the Sweet Sixteen hero bringing Valpo back to the NCAA as its coach and give the VU marketing people a second chance at making the most of the situation. 

Excellent.  Some on this board have been saying this for years.  If I were you though, I wouldn't get your hopes up about such a change in mindset by the University.  We could get a second chance, a third chance, and a fourth chance and we'd probably still end up with the same result that was had after the 1998 run in this regard.  I mean after all, the University has had capital campaigns for significant monies since then, and each has excluded substantial renovations to the "arena".  This shows a lack of a meaningful investment in the program over the long haul, IMO.

bbtds

I know one thing. I will be overjoyed to be the first one to be able to pronounce Butler mathematically dead when that time comes. Hopefully soon!

agibson

Nice article!

Quote from: valpopal on February 14, 2012, 09:21:56 AMSpending money on the basketball program, even to build a new or better facility, should be seen as an investment.

This is true, to an extent.  I think the university does recognize that the VU basketball, Drew, and Bryce Drew brands are valuable.  But, there has to be a question of getting good return on the investment.  If we're talking about building facilities, I immediately think of the taxpayer-sponsored facilities that are built to woo professional teams, or keep them in town, etc.  There are always promises of jobs, etc.  But, I think these things rarely work out as well - in hard dollars and cents terms -as people hope.

Nildogg

Quote from: bbtds on February 14, 2012, 11:53:01 AMI know one thing. I will be overjoyed to be the first one to be able to pronounce Butler mathematically dead when that time comes. Hopefully soon!

Mathematically dead?? So that would be a loss in the Conference Tournament?  As long as BU is alive, I don't see how we are "dead"!? 

The 1 seed isn't the focus right now...

valporun

Quote from: Nildogg on February 16, 2012, 10:34:58 PM
Quote from: bbtds on February 14, 2012, 11:53:01 AMI know one thing. I will be overjoyed to be the first one to be able to pronounce Butler mathematically dead when that time comes. Hopefully soon!

Mathematically dead?? So that would be a loss in the Conference Tournament?  As long as BU is alive, I don't see how we are "dead"!? 

I interpret 'mathematically dead' to be impossible ability to host the HL tourney?

covufan

Quote from: valporun on February 16, 2012, 11:06:36 PM

I interpret 'mathematically dead' to be impossible ability to host the HL tourney?

I too thought that 'mathematically dead' would be equal to not hosting the HL tournament.  That would take one win by us or one loss by Butler.

StlVUFan

Quote from: covufan on February 17, 2012, 03:44:56 PM

I too thought that 'mathematically dead' would be equal to not hosting the HL tournament.  That would take one win by us or one loss by Butler.

Not anymore.  It's done.  Or are you saying at the time the article was written?

covufan

Quote from: StlVUFan on February 17, 2012, 03:51:35 PM
Quote from: covufan on February 17, 2012, 03:44:56 PM

Not anymore.  It's done.  Or are you saying at the time the article was written?
I was thinking at the time that bbtds posted the statement.  I also wasn't looking at tie-breakers, only the losses column.

bbtds

It's official. The Butler Bulldogs are dead. The NCAA coroner has spoken.

Is that not the farthest fall in the history of the NCAA tourney? From national runner-up twice to 5th seed and semi-final defeat in a mid-major conference tourney?

Nildogg

Quote from: bbtds on March 04, 2012, 09:51:34 PMIt's official. The Butler Bulldogs are dead. The NCAA coroner has spoken. Is that not the farthest fall in the history of the NCAA tourney? From national runner-up twice to 5th seed and semi-final defeat in a mid-major conference tourney?

Not sure... it might be.

Pretty much what anyone with any realistic outlook would have thought was possible.  This team could have been in a much different position with a couple of breaks, but either way - this was a rebuilding year, and a historically bad offensive year.  Not bad to have 20 wins, a likely post season appearance, and the pieces we need ready to go next year for another big season...

We'll see how quickly you reload in a couple of years.  Hell, we'll see how you do next year when the conference is worth a crap!

valporun

Quote from: Nildogg on March 04, 2012, 10:27:30 PM
Quote from: bbtds on March 04, 2012, 09:51:34 PMIt's official. The Butler Bulldogs are dead. The NCAA coroner has spoken. Is that not the farthest fall in the history of the NCAA tourney? From national runner-up twice to 5th seed and semi-final defeat in a mid-major conference tourney?

Not sure... it might be.

Pretty much what anyone with any realistic outlook would have thought was possible.  This team could have been in a much different position with a couple of breaks, but either way - this was a rebuilding year, and a historically bad offensive year.  Not bad to have 20 wins, a likely post season appearance, and the pieces we need ready to go next year for another big season...

We'll see how quickly you reload in a couple of years.  Hell, we'll see how you do next year when the conference is worth a crap!

What about Tarkainian's Runnin' Rebels teams from 1990 and 1991 with Augmon, Grandmama, Anthony, and such? Didn't they have a relatively dramatic fall, much like Butler's this year?

covufan

Quote from: bbtds on March 04, 2012, 09:51:34 PM
It's official. The Butler Bulldogs are dead. The NCAA coroner has spoken.

Is that not the farthest fall in the history of the NCAA tourney? From national runner-up twice to 5th seed and semi-final defeat in a mid-major conference tourney?
I don't think Indiana State has done much since '79. 

FWalum

Quote from: Nildogg on March 04, 2012, 10:27:30 PM

Not sure... it might be.

Butler has had a target on their backs for the last 5+ years in this league.  They have done a great job giving this league almost crazy good exposure.  I don't want them to be dead because a good Butler team elevates the entire conference.  Next year we will be one of the targeted teams in the league, I hope we live up to the preseason hype that should come with us returning our entire team.  If this conference does not have TWO at large teams next year it will be a crying shame.  These two young coaches can take the Horizon league into uncharted territory and the blossoming rivalry will make wins for either side all the sweeter.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show