• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Bobby Capobianco

Started by wh, March 31, 2012, 05:51:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

covufan

wh

This statement speaks volumes about Bobby's character and conviction:

"I am looking forward to using basketball to meet new people and help spread God's word," said Capobianco.  "Also, this allows me to travel places I have never been and experience new things and cultures."

EddieCabot

I think this trip was in June ... did anyone hear how Capobianco played on the tour?

IMO, Capobianco will be the "wild card" for Valpo next year.  I think Valpo will be very good no matter what he contributes, but if he plays like the three-star recruit he was coming out of high school, he could be a huge upgrade over Edwards and Valpo would be a solid top-25 team.

vu84v2

My guess is that Capobianco is a good person and I also agree that he could be the difference between the team being good or great next year.  A great team will have Broekhoff playing the 3 at least half of the time, creating better up front strength and a huge matchup dilemma for opponents agaist Broekhoff.

However, I would respectfully disagree that spreading God's word in different cultures shows character and is ethical.

vu72

Quote from: EddieCabot on July 05, 2012, 02:59:50 PM
I think this trip was in June ... did anyone hear how Capobianco played on the tour?

IMO, Capobianco will be the "wild card" for Valpo next year.  I think Valpo will be very good no matter what he contributes, but if he plays like the three-star recruit he was coming out of high school, he could be a huge upgrade over Edwards and Valpo would be a solid top-25 team.

He will be a different player from Edwards.  Richie was a very good 3 point shooter but not such a great rebounder.  Bobby is bigger, height and muscle wise so should help out on the boards and make us very tough inside.  How he plays on the perimeter will be very interesting.  The bigger "wild card" will be Dority.  If he can play like a Big East point and put big pressure defensively on teams best guard then he will be a big upgrade to Harris and put us in a position where there is no dropoff from Erik.  Another key to how good we will be will be the eligibility or not of Alex Rossi.  At 6'5-6" and one of the best shooters in his class, Rossi could easily replace the 3 point shooting of Richie and Jay.  If he's as good as advertised (ESPN 92 rating, 36th best 2 guard), then LOOK OUT!  ;)
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vu72

Quote from: vu84v2 on July 05, 2012, 05:11:34 PM
My guess is that Capobianco is a good person and I also agree that he could be the difference between the team being good or great next year.  A great team will have Broekhoff playing the 3 at least half of the time, creating better up front strength and a huge matchup dilemma for opponents agaist Broekhoff.

However, I would respectfully disagree that spreading God's word in different cultures shows character and is ethical.
while you obviously have a right to your opinions, I hardly think a Christian school athletic board is the correct place to express it.

vu84v2

Perhaps I did not choose the right place to express my opinion.  Athletes and others who use the opportunity of being interviewed on TV after a win or great performance to evangelize their faith could follow the same advice.  I will also note that I had a dissenting view towards another comment made on the board, so my comments were not solely unsolicited.

wh

Quote from: vu84v2 on July 06, 2012, 06:52:16 AM
Perhaps I did not choose the right place to express my opinion.  Athletes and others who use the opportunity of being interviewed on TV after a win or great performance to evangelize their faith could follow the same advice.  I will also note that I had a dissenting view towards another comment made on the board, so my comments were not solely unsolicited.
Evangelism is a basic tenet of Christianity.  Valpo is a Christian university.  Thus, one might expect VU students to be engaged in Christian evangelistic service initiatives.  I assume this isn't news to you.

swiftmutiny

Getting back on topic, it's amazing how many unknowns there are going into this next season considering that we're returning all five of our starters. Four new faces on the court, possibly five depending on Rossi's eligibility status.

vu84v2

Previous quote from other post:  Evangelism is a basic tenet of Christianity.  Valpo is a Christian university.  Thus, one might expect VU students to be engaged in Christian evangelistic service initiatives.  I assume this isn't news to you.

I grew up Lutheran and went through all of the confirmation programs.  I never was taught or learned that evangelism was a basic tenet of christianity.  I attended Valparaiso (a very good academic institution) and was never told or taught that evangelism was a basic tenet of christianity.  I became a member of the UCC and was never taught that evangelism was a basic tenet of christianity.  I have served and supported Valparaiso in various ways and have never been told that evangelism is a tenet of christianity.  So perhaps evangelism is practiced by a subset of christians that believe that it is somehow their duty to tell people that their faith is better than what people believe and that they somehow speak for all christians...when they do not.  Hence the ethical problem with Capobianco's statement.

sectionee

C'mon man
I'm hoping Capo can relieve Rowdy from having to grab 10 boards a game. Any scoring will be a bonus!

VULB#62

With ya EE.  Isn't this evangelism discussion more about how a kid reflects and lives his beliefs rather than getting up on a soap box and preaching.  Athletes in Action comes to mind.  A lot of very good colleges scheduled these teams to provide a strong pre-season test -- not to hear about their religious foundations.  The AIA message was more subtle than in your face.  Maybe that is what Bobby was referring to:  'I am a good BB player, and, because I am associated with this particular program you also now happen to know I am committed to my religious beliefs.'

Let's all move on.

wh

Quote from: vu84v2 on July 06, 2012, 09:11:05 PM
Previous quote from other post:  Evangelism is a basic tenet of Christianity.  Valpo is a Christian university.  Thus, one might expect VU students to be engaged in Christian evangelistic service initiatives.  I assume this isn't news to you.

I grew up Lutheran and went through all of the confirmation programs.  I never was taught or learned that evangelism was a basic tenet of christianity.  I attended Valparaiso (a very good academic institution) and was never told or taught that evangelism was a basic tenet of christianity.  I became a member of the UCC and was never taught that evangelism was a basic tenet of christianity.  I have served and supported Valparaiso in various ways and have never been told that evangelism is a tenet of christianity.  So perhaps evangelism is practiced by a subset of christians that believe that it is somehow their duty to tell people that their faith is better than what people believe and that they somehow speak for all christians...when they do not.  Hence the ethical problem with Capobianco's statement.
You are making a blanket statement about the Lutheran Church's position om evangelism that is simply incorrect.  The largest Lutheran denomination in the United States is the EVANGELICAL Lutheran Church in America.  The ELCA has over 10,000 churches (including 2 in Valpo) and 4.7 million members, making it the 7th largest religious body in the U.S.  The ELCA teaches  that sharing the Christian faith with others is the responsibility of every member. 

You may find this interesting (from the ELCA website):

http://www.elca.org/Growing%20In%20Faith/Discipleship/Evangelizing%20Church.aspx

At the end of day, Bobby C. could just as easily be a member of the ELCA as not, and be participating in something that his church would fully endorse and support.

vu84v2

We can agree to disagree.  Agree that moving on is the best thing and I apologize for prolonging the argument.

vu72

Meanwhile, back to basketball!  Here is a story about Bobby that should get us all excited!  I really think he will be a mismatch given his size and strength.  Can't wait to see Bobby, Ryan and Kevin on the floor together.  Our rebounding problems are over!

http://posttrib.suntimes.com/sports/mutka/9527676-452/mutka-vus-capobianco-roots-ex-iu-teammates.html