• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

New UW-Milwaukee AD

Started by rink, May 11, 2012, 11:10:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackpantheruwm

Thanks, Mr. Squire.

I don't mean to jump down anyone's throat, but I'm committed to this League until I hear otherwise from the Chancellor of our institution. That said, I won't lie that I've had some stars in my eyes from the overtures of MVC fans and beat writers.  They are a wonderful conference that I would be proud to be a part of.

But I'm proud to be in the Horizon League, and I'd be much happier and willing to stick around if the conference were to really jump into expansion by pulling out Big D's expansion plan.

dylanrocks

Excellent post, stl.

Through our shared love of basketball, we'll always be friends wherever we may be.

So, who here has faith that LeCrone plans to expand the H League beyond Oakland in 2013-14?

vu72

As always stl, well thought out and particularly well written.

I will say this about Valpo's decision to jump to the Horizon:  The move had much more to do with what was best for the student/athlete then anything else.  How much time away from the classroom was recovered?  How much wear and tear saved via fewer flights and never ending bus rides?  Clearly, from an institutional standpoint, the money saved on air trip to Louisiana, Tulsa or So. Utah were very significant as well.  Those were the stated reasons and clearly the right ones.

Now, from an athletic standpoint and in an effort to appeal to more fans, it was also the right choice.  The long standing rivalry with Butler or the closeness of the Chicago teams also makes those games more appealing than rushing to the ARC to see So. Utah or Centenary.

On the other hand, Butler's move had nothing to do with what was best for the student/athlete, it had to do with greed.  Hopefully, for their sake, the recent success in basketball can be maintained.  If they slide to a "middle of the pack" A10 team in basketball, their fans and students will both suffer and their chance to be in the NCAA will be gone.  As demonstrated by Butler's athletic performance, particularly in major sports, this recent year, Butler was, for the most part, a middle of the road team--or lower, even in the Horizon.  I doubt they are making the change because of their domination in Cross Country.

It is time to move on.  Adding Oakland brings a "big city" team in to replace a similar situated Butler.  At least in the last couple of years, Oakland has performed well in men's basketball, and last year we very similarly rated to Butler.  From our standpoint it brings back a very good rivalry but it can't replace what we had with Butler--going back to the 30's.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

blackpantheruwm

Quote from: vu72 on May 31, 2012, 10:30:52 AM

I will say this about Valpo's decision to jump to the Horizon:  The move had much more to do with what was best for the student/athlete then anything else.  How much time away from the classroom was recovered?  How much wear and tear saved via fewer flights and never ending bus rides?  Clearly, from an institutional standpoint, the money saved on air trip to Louisiana, Tulsa or So. Utah were very significant as well.  Those were the stated reasons and clearly the right ones.

Now, from an athletic standpoint and in an effort to appeal to more fans, it was also the right choice.  The long standing rivalry with Butler or the closeness of the Chicago teams also makes those games more appealing than rushing to the ARC to see So. Utah or Centenary.

On the other hand, Butler's move had nothing to do with what was best for the student/athlete, it had to do with greed.  Hopefully, for their sake, the recent success in basketball can be maintained.  If they slide to a "middle of the pack" A10 team in basketball, their fans and students will both suffer and their chance to be in the NCAA will be gone.  As demonstrated by Butler's athletic performance, particularly in major sports, this recent year, Butler was, for the most part, a middle of the road team--or lower, even in the Horizon.  I doubt they are making the change because of their domination in Cross Country.

It is time to move on.  Adding Oakland brings a "big city" team in to replace a similar situated Butler.  At least in the last couple of years, Oakland has performed well in men's basketball, and last year we very similarly rated to Butler.  From our standpoint it brings back a very good rivalry but it can't replace what we had with Butler--going back to the 30's.

What about Big DWSU's proposal? What if we don't stop with Oakland, and push for Murray, Morehead, Robert Morris and Evansville as well?  How does that sound to you?

crusaderjoe

Nice commentary Stl.

'72, IMO, I don't think greed was a driving force at all in Butler's determination to pursue A-10 membership.  When they demanded a "2 for 1"from Valpo back in the day, was that because of greed?  Were they really expecting to use the "2 for 1" as a mechanism to increase their revenue?  Of course not.  Those "2 for 1's" were strategic and simply part and parcel of a larger process and mindset that has been evolving since the late 80's or whenever Barry Collier arrived.  This move is no exception.

I also disagree with you that Butler's move had nothing to do with the interest of the student in mind.  Yes, there will be increased travel.   However, many of the institutions in the A-10 are good quality private universities that align themselves perfectly with Butler.  Being affiliated with those universities, even in an athletic capacity, can only strengthen the academic branding of Butler University in the marketplace as a whole, particularly in places along the eastern seaboard where their footprint now reaches as a result of A-10 membership.

vu72

Quote from: blackpantheruwm on May 31, 2012, 02:03:16 PM
Quote from: vu72 on May 31, 2012, 10:30:52 AM

What about Big DWSU's proposal? What if we don't stop with Oakland, and push for Murray, Morehead, Robert Morris and Evansville as well?  How does that sound to you?
[/b]

Count me in!  Next to Butler Valpo's history with Evansville is second to none.  A former conference rival in the ICC, they would make an excellent member as would Drake or Bradley if we are serious about trying to poach a Valley team.  I also like adding the others, and in particular, Murray as their basketball reputation is almost as good as Butler's.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

StlVUFan

Getting Evansville scares me: either we'll upgrade their referee performance or they'll downgrade ours ;)

StlVUFan

I should say that I'm just glad what I stayed up until 2:30 in the morning trying to hash out (for reasons passing understanding, as if the world would come to an end if I didn't get it posted before sun-up for crying out loud  :crazy: ) came out so coherent and agreeable.

Thanks ;)