• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Class of 2012 Football Roster Posted

Started by valporun, May 15, 2012, 12:22:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

ValpoTX could probably describe best how it was atmosphere-wise when the team was winning.  But I was there for one sunny Fall Saturday afternoon game last season and even though it was chilly and the stands were, maybe, 2/3 full, there was some tailgating in the parking lot behind the grandstand and partying on the grass outside the back door to the ARC going on that suggested a full stadium would be a fun time. Valpo is a pretty setting and there's nothing like the smell of Fall leaves, the smoke from a big bunch of grills and the odor of fresh cooked brats in the air before a game.  So the potential is there. 

I also attended the Marist game in Poughkeepsie this year and was impressed by all the tailgating I saw there (by Marist fans, of course), but there were only a handful of die-hard Valpo fans in attendance and all but me (I just had a 3 hour drive from the Boston area) came from great distances, so the tailgating was not visible.  Two years previous, the VU Alumni Association had a full program of activities for VU fans going there and there was some tailgating. Not last year, however. I would like to see the biannual Marist game in Poughkeepsie become a "Homecoming- East" thing.  I think that's what they do at USD on the left coast every other year.

Back to Brown Field:  The atmosphere would also be improved (here I go off again on facilities) by significant improvement to the stadium grandstand (and, of course, completing the track) that would make it feel more like a college venue than a midsized high school field.

TC28

I think there would be more tailgating and a better atmosphere if Valpo would loosen up on the whole dry campus thing. I know that during our last championship game, parents were tailgating/celebrating and were drinking out of solo cups. Instead of asking them to pour out the beer, VUPD would just knock them over when they weren't looking.

VULB#62

I didn't know that.  And that's depressing.   >:(

Part of the enjoyment of tailgating before a FB game on a fall afternoon is that beer or glass of wine going along with good food on the grill.  We're mainly talking responsible older adults here with college age kids in school at Valpo, yet, it seems they (the parents) are treated like underage adolescents?  What's wrong with that picture   ???

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

willy

Are people allowed to park and tailgate on what looks like some old tennis courts behind the one end zone closest to the old hospital building?  That looks like the perfect spot to tailgate.  It looks as though you could tailgate and even watch warmups or the game from there.  Its a shame security actually hassles the adults (parents)!  It doesn't sound like the administration wants spectators if thats the case.

vu72

Quote from: VULB#62 on June 14, 2012, 01:27:55 PM
I didn't know that.  And that's depressing.   >:(

Part of the enjoyment of tailgating before a FB game on a fall afternoon is that beer or glass of wine going along with good food on the grill.  We're mainly talking responsible older adults here with college age kids in school at Valpo, yet, it seems they (the parents) are treated like underage adolescents?  What's wrong with that picture   ???

Agree totally.  Things are changing--but probably slowly.  Alan Harre et al changed the policy to its current alcohol free campus status.  President Heckler recognizes the problem as, for example, a gathering of alumni on campus couldn't be offered a glass of wine before a meal.  This was changed/allowed at the 150th celebration which was on campus at Brown Field, where plenty of booze was consumed!

I just looked up Notre Dame's policy which seems very reasonable and not an over reaction to change and crackdown in alcohol laws over the status in the 70's and 80's.

http://dulac.nd.edu/university-standards-of-conduct/alcohol-possession-and-use/
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vuweathernerd

Quote from: willy on June 14, 2012, 04:02:15 PM
Are people allowed to park and tailgate on what looks like some old tennis courts behind the one end zone closest to the old hospital building?  That looks like the perfect spot to tailgate.  It looks as though you could tailgate and even watch warmups or the game from there.  Its a shame security actually hassles the adults (parents)!  It doesn't sound like the administration wants spectators if thats the case.

it's not security. they're a fully deputized, armed police force accredited by the state of indiana. so you can't piss them and treat them the same way as you would some schmuck rent-a-cop.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: vuweathernerd on June 14, 2012, 04:52:12 PMit's not security. they're a fully deputized, armed police force accredited by the state of indiana. so you can't piss them and treat them the same way as you would some schmuck rent-a-cop.

Somewhere, you've made Assistant Chief Garber smile  :)
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

covufan

One would think that an institution of higher learning would be able to show the students the proper way to mix alcohol and social situtions, such as a tailgate at a football game.  This would be a better approach than to suggest that alcohol has no place at a football Saturday afternoon.  I'm sure that upside down margaritas and drinking from the tap would be examples of how not to have proper decorum.

valpotx

When we were winning, there was a good atmosphere at Brown Field.  Our side of the stands were full, and people were also lined up along the side of the field and one end zone to watch.  There was some tailgating, but of course it wasn't like a larger school's tailgating.  The lack of alcohol generally discourages tailgating lol.  I have noticed that each time I go to a TCU game, EVERYONE tailgates.  People get out there 8-10 hours before the game, and just have a good old time.  That would be great, but I don't think that is possible at the non-scholarship level.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

Au contrare TX -- setshot would concur with me at least on this one thing -- that some mighty tailgating goes on at D-III FB games at schools like Amherst, Williams Colby and Middlebury in the northeast.

But wouldn't it be nice to get back to the conditions you recollect?  Seems like President Heckler has a more open mind (per vu72's post) so there may be some hope.

valpotx

My sister graduated from Middlebury (starter in volleyball all 4 years, and cheerleader), so I guess that I should ask her as well  :).  My brother went to/played baseball at Trinity University (TX), which is D-3, and I probably should have asked him as well if their schools had much of a tailgate.
"Don't mess with Texas"

willy

I don't think the division of play has any affect on tailgating. I think the biggest deterrent is not being able to have a cold one when you're grilling out.  I attended a game at Whitewater (DIII) last year and the tailgating was incredible.  I plan on being at several Valpo games this year home and away and tailgating.  I think the experience at Valpo can be awesome we just need to get it started!

vu72

Here is a suggestion:  Write President Heckler and express your concern and what might be a good modification to the existing ploicy.  I just did exactly that and attached a copy of the alcohol policy in place at a school located just east of Valpo.  ;)

Perhaps others could find a policy wherein alcohol is permitted on campus at smaller schools, even Lutheran ones!  Get on it!  He will respond, I promise.  Put your computer where you complaints lie!

Here is his email address:  mark.heckler@valpo.edu
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

NuPudge

I know this do not make me want to come and tailgate when I know I can attend another football game and chill with my bros overall a couple cold ones..

I think the big picture should be us winning games.. This is the 3rd year for the current Coaxh and he must show some result or he could bring the program to where we can't get any kids to want to come there.. I heard that we lost Coach Lee is that true and if it is who is the defense Coach now?

VULB#62

Yes, Lee went to Miami of Ohio.  Replaced by Tyson Silveus.  Silveus is a Carlson guy.

NuPudge

Was this a good move for us? How will this impact the current team? Does this new guy bring something to the table that we need?

VULB#62

I got the sense that Silveus is a more emotional guy than Coach Lee and as the coordinator we should expect the D to be more aggressive and fly to the football with greater intensity this season.  Squads usually take on the personality of their leaders.  Wish Coach Lee all the best, but this might be for the better.  BTW Since he came to VU, Coach Carlson has been recruiting Silveus.

willy

Quote from: vu72 on June 14, 2012, 04:45:27 PM
Quote from: VULB#62 on June 14, 2012, 01:27:55 PMI didn't know that. And that's depressing. >:( Part of the enjoyment of tailgating before a FB game on a fall afternoon is that beer or glass of wine going along with good food on the grill. We're mainly talking responsible older adults here with college age kids in school at Valpo, yet, it seems they (the parents) are treated like underage adolescents? What's wrong with that picture ???
Agree totally. Things are changing--but probably slowly. Alan Harre et al changed the policy to its current alcohol free campus status. President Heckler recognizes the problem as, for example, a gathering of alumni on campus couldn't be offered a glass of wine before a meal. This was changed/allowed at the 150th celebration which was on campus at Brown Field, where plenty of booze was consumed! I just looked up Notre Dame's policy which seems very reasonable and not an over reaction to change and crackdown in alcohol laws over the status in the 70's and 80's. http://dulac.nd.edu/university-standards-of-conduct/alcohol-possession-and-use/
What surprises me the most is that the current alcohol Ban is not applied to all.  How can the adminstration pick and choose what events are allowed to have alcohol and which ones are not?  It is either an alcohol free campus or it is not. ???

valpotx

Probably because the main point of the policy is to discourage underage drinking (I am not saying this works of course), so if an event is all adults over 21, they can adjust the policy.
"Don't mess with Texas"

willy

I was not at the 150th celebration but I'm sure everyone that attended was not over 21.