• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Athlete movement in Division I basketball raising 'alarm'

Started by VULB#62, June 24, 2012, 07:41:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

Saw this in USAToday:

Here's the link:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/mensbasketball/story/2012-06-24/Athlete-movement-in-Division-I-basketball-raising-alarm/55798356/1

And here's some of the key points:

The NCAA's most recent figures show that men's basketball has the highest percentage of transfers in Division I, a one-year rate of 10.9% in 2010-11. Of about 1,050 freshman men's basketball athletes at 340 D-I schools in their first two years of college:
•Only 60% continue into their third year at their original institution.
•Less than 2% leave early to play pro basketball.
•The other 38% leave. Most transfer, some drop out completely, a few others leave for undocumented professional opportunities.
"The number that causes me alarm isn't that 10.7 or 10.9 (%) or whatever the number is in men's basketball," NCAA president Mark Emmert said. "It's that 40% of men's basketball student-athletes aren't at their original school by the end of their sophomore year because they've transferred, they've dropped out, they've moved on. So we've got a significant lack of persistence (in the sport). And we know that kind of movement, one way or another, is really detrimental to kids getting an education."

wh

Administrators and coaches would do well to try and better understand how today's college-age athletes tick and respond accordingly.

5 things to consider when understanding Generation Y:

Walk the Talk. You only have one shot to gain their trust, if you fail they will write you off for good. If they suspect for a moment that you are trying to 'pull the wool over their eyes', so to speak, they will be gone in a nanosecond.

Gen Y are multi-channelers and can focus fully on many variables at once, rather than us single channelers. (Mac brings up an interesting example of how a Gen X'er or BB if lost while driving, would pull over, turn down the stereo and look at the map. What does the stereo volume have to do with looking at a map?! Single channelers..)

They care & are committed to saving the planet

Most live under the radar of establishment

There is a sense of immediacy as they are on a faster journey and their expectations of services or relationships are higher

jack

Quote from: wh on June 24, 2012, 09:42:17 PM
Administrators and coaches would do well to try and better understand how today's college-age athletes tick and respond accordingly.

Walk the Talk. You only have one shot to gain their trust, if you fail they will write you off for good. If they suspect for a moment that you are trying to 'pull the wool over their eyes', so to speak, they will be gone in a nanosecond.

Gen Y are multi-channelers and can focus fully on many variables at once, rather than us single channelers. (Mac brings up an interesting example of how a Gen X'er or BB if lost while driving, would pull over, turn down the stereo and look at the map. What does the stereo volume have to do with looking at a map?! Single channelers..)

There is a sense of immediacy as they are on a faster journey and their expectations of services or relationships are higher
I think one of the biggest issues that lead to players leaving, is a lack of honesty from the recruiters and coaches, as to the reality of what to expect. They need to be honest with these kids coming into college, and let the players and families decide what their best options are. If you're recruiting a player that would fit well with the practice squad, with minimal, if any minutes until, at best their junior / senoir season, you owe it to them to tell them that. Either they'll eccept that role with an incentive to better their chances, or move on to a school that's a better fit for what they want for themselves.

StlVUFan

wh, that feels like something you pulled from a website.  Didn't see it at the link mentioned.

I smell something phony about the concern.  I'm not sure I can put my finger on it yet, but I feel like the NCAA created this problem just by being what it is.

wh

Quote from: StlVUFan on June 24, 2012, 10:27:56 PM
wh, that feels like something you pulled from a website.  Didn't see it at the link mentioned.

I smell something phony about the concern.  I'm not sure I can put my finger on it yet, but I feel like the NCAA created this problem just by being what it is.

http://www.litmos.com/industry-news/5-key-characteristics-of-generation-y/

vu72

Quote from: jack on June 24, 2012, 10:26:00 PM

I think one of the biggest issues that lead to players leaving, is a lack of honesty from the recruiters and coaches, as to the reality of what to expect. They need to be honest with these kids coming into college, and let the players and families decide what their best options are. If you're recruiting a player that would fit well with the practice squad, with minimal, if any minutes until, at best their junior / senoir season, you owe it to them to tell them that. Either they'll eccept that role with an incentive to better their chances, or move on to a school that's a better fit for what they want for themselves.
[/b]

so, are you honested saying that the coaches are recruiting a player, spending the Universities money, on a player they expect will be on value in their senior year?
That's make zero sense.  They pick a player because they can help now, or in the NEAR future.  It may not work out that way but surely that is the desire.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

In googling who consists of Generation Y, it really stinks to know that though there is a discrepancy in what the actual birth years are for the Ys, it appears I am at the beginning of what they generally consist of in regards to year (1981 birth).  I detest so much of the entitlement that many of the younger members exhibit, that it pains me to know that I am considered among them.  Though I can sympathize with leaving your school to pursue the opportunity to maximize your remaining playing years, there are so many undesirable traits of Gen Y  :-[
"Don't mess with Texas"

jack

Quote from: vu72 on June 24, 2012, 10:37:25 PM
Quote from: jack on June 24, 2012, 10:26:00 PM

[/b]

so, are you honested saying that the coaches are recruiting a player, spending the Universities money, on a player they expect will be on value in their senior year?
That's make zero sense.  They pick a player because they can help now, or in the NEAR future.  It may not work out that way but surely that is the desire.
That's absolutely what I am saying, and it makes perfect sense. It won't do much good to bring in quality players, if they don't have a quality squad to practice against. You can't have enough good players when building a first class program. There are some prime examples of this in the big 10, and big east, over the past few years. Take a look at some of the rosters of these schools. You have players that were superstars at their highschools, made the all star squads, etc., only to hit college and see very little floor time during a game. Granted, they're good players, and could probably get valuable minutes at a smaller school, but their roles are relegated to the practice squad, with game time coming when the outcomes are already decided. Some of these players know this going in, and after a year or so, decide they want to play somewhere, anywhere, and leave. Others, are painted a rosy picture of what their futures could hold, as a tool to lure them in as their value to help develop the primary playing squads is high.
The topic of this discussion is athlete movement in D1. When discussing this, it's impossible to overlook the scenario I mention. it happens all the time. I've seen, and heard it from both coaches, and players, in all sports. The initial draw is financial help for a great edjucation at a quality university, but when reality sets in for some, and they see their role on the team for what it is, they struggle to accept that their best playing days are behind them, and chose to leave for a better chance at playing time.
Just as an example, take a look at IU. They are preseason favorites to win it all this season. They brought in one heck of a recruiting class last season. Many think this season's class is even better. There are going to be some unhappy campers with this team as their roles get redefined. I would be extremely surprised if we don't see some movement down there. There are quite a few athletes who could get some quality minutes to contribute elsewhere, but, most likely, they won't see much floor time at IU. Some may be OK with that. others I suspect, will not. They were brought in to make their primary players better, and, baring injury, aren't likely to see much hardwood in a game atmostphere. In a way, it's a good sign that the quality of players continues to improve, but, unfortunately, some will lose out on what they have hoped for.
On the ladies side, I think it's even more prevelant. I just think when discussing the movement with D1 athletes, you can't overlook this reason also.

VULB#62

Quote from: jack on June 25, 2012, 07:28:16 AM

The topic of this discussion is athlete movement in D1. When discussing this, it's impossible to overlook the scenario I mention. it happens all the time. I've seen, and heard it from both coaches, and players, in all sports. The initial draw is financial help for a great edjucation at a quality university, but when reality sets in for some, and they see their role on the team for what it is, they struggle to accept that their best playing days are behind them, and chose to leave for a better chance at playing time.

Excellent point Jack.  And add to that the mindset, often encouraged by coaches during recruiting and AAU coaches and family, that each and every one of these kids expects to be a starter in their first year.  In the (probably distant) past most kids where recruited into a 4 year cycle and knew they would spend some apprentice time before even thinking about starting. Not now.  Since UM's Fab Five, it seems like every kid thinks they are LeBron.  But that's the ugly side of the D-I MBB business.

lowposter

Somewhere along the line the D1 basketball scene has changed.  The patience level for both coaches and players have been reduced.  It is all about win now, collect the dance ticket and move on to the bigger school for the coaches and for the players it is all about playing time RIGHT NOW.  Look at Nic Moore as an example.  Look at our own VU program.  Student athletes are moving and moving quickly.  Pushed out the door?  I will leave that to others, as I have no concrete information.

The transfer rate is alarming in many's view.  The graduating with eligibilty rule (collegiate free agency in my terms) is pushing this even quicker.  Student athletes will realize there is a real advantage to collecting that degree as quickly as possible (not a bad thing) and having a little leverage in order to move on (not a bad thing).  Did VU come out ahead or behind with the Brandon Woods situation?  I think VU and Michigan State were both winners in this.

Student athletes must really select their colleges carefully.  I was in attendance this past week at a college Elite basketball camp, which is the latest tool that colleges are using to evaluate their recruits.  The head coach made a very honest and telling statement to the kids..."dont let anyone use your basketball skills for their own purposes, you MUST USE the university and the program in order to graduate." 

The D1's are beginning to  look like puppy mills and I believe the NCAA has a right to be concerned.

lowposter

FWalum

Quote from: lowposter on June 25, 2012, 08:48:13 AM
Somewhere along the line the D1 basketball scene has changed.  The patience level for both coaches and players have been reduced.  It is all about win now, collect the dance ticket and move on to the bigger school for the coaches and for the players it is all about playing time RIGHT NOW.  Look at Nic Moore as an example.  Look at our own VU program.  Student athletes are moving and moving quickly.  Pushed out the door?  I will leave that to others, as I have no concrete information.

The transfer rate is alarming in many's view.  The graduating with eligibilty rule (collegiate free agency in my terms) is pushing this even quicker.  Student athletes will realize there is a real advantage to collecting that degree as quickly as possible (not a bad thing) and having a little leverage in order to move on (not a bad thing).  Did VU come out ahead or behind with the Brandon Woods situation?  I think VU and Michigan State were both winners in this.

Student athletes must really select their colleges carefully.  I was in attendance this past week at a college Elite basketball camp, which is the latest tool that colleges are using to evaluate their recruits.  The head coach made a very honest and telling statement to the kids..."dont let anyone use your basketball skills for their own purposes, you MUST USE the university and the program in order to graduate." 

The D1's are beginning to  look like puppy mills and I believe the NCAA has a right to be concerned.

lowposter

lowposter,  agree with you.  I think the real problem is the scholarship "agent" businesses and the AAU scene that has fueled the expectations and marketing of even average players.  Having a parent come into your office and ask why a young man is not playing when they believe him to have "NBA talent" is very disturbing.  Even at the NAIA level many of these young men have received so much attention that they believe to be interest from big schools, but in reality is only a letter generated because of these scholarship marketing agents and AAU tournaments, that they have unrealistic expectations.  This coming season Concordia Lutheran here in Fort Wayne should have a good 3A team.  They have all starters back from last years squad and have several decent players, however none of them IMHO is even a low D1 prospect.  Several of these kids have been feed so much bull that they are forgoing other opportunities in sports such as track and football.  One of the players IS a D1 football prospect but is neglecting football and may not even play his senior year because all of the basketball hype.  If he would somehow get a D1 basketball scholarship I can almost guarantee that he will be one of the transferring casualties. 

As to the "graduating with eligibility rule", this rule affects such a small population albeit athletes of high profile because of their academic accomplishments and in some cases athletic abilities, that I am not really too concerned.  The problem is in, as you term it, the "free agency" part of the equation and this is something the NCAA needs to figure out.  I am all for this rule as it is perhaps the only one of the thousands of NCAA rules that actually rewards academic achievement and as you also put it, gives the student athlete some actual leverage in moving up both academically and perhaps athletically giving them a more visible athletic situation that they might not have had in their previous school (Brandon) leading to better professional opportunities.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

lowposter

Perhaps the kids are in the wrong AAU program.  AAU programs should do their best to place their players in colleges in which they can succeed both academically and athletically.  Most AAU tournaments should allow the players and the parents to realistically see where their kids stack up against other players of all flavors.  The truly elite teams and players excel at such a high level that there should be no doubt what the pecking order is.

lowposter

IndyValpo

Quote from: jack on June 25, 2012, 07:28:16 AMJust as an example, take a look at IU. They are preseason favorites to win it all this season. They brought in one heck of a recruiting class last season. Many think this season's class is even better. There are going to be some unhappy campers with this team as their roles get redefined. I would be extremely surprised if we don't see some movement down there. There are quite a few athletes who could get some quality minutes to contribute elsewhere, but, most likely, they won't see much floor time at IU.

Well, IU currently 14 players on scholarship for next year with another wanting to return for a fifth year so, yes there will be some movement down there.  Someone will be "creaned"

jack

Quote from: lowposter on June 25, 2012, 10:46:15 AM
Perhaps the kids are in the wrong AAU program.  AAU programs should do their best to place their players in colleges in which they can succeed both academically and athletically.  Most AAU tournaments should allow the players and the parents to realistically see where their kids stack up against other players of all flavors.  The truly elite teams and players excel at such a high level that there should be no doubt what the pecking order is.

lowposter
In a perfect world, you are absolutely right. The AAU programs and coaches should be doing their best to place players in the best situations to suceed. I've been around enough of these programs to know, for every good program with these intentions, you have another that has other motives. I think, as a whole, the AAU programs have been a good thing for the sport as it's allow more kids to get involved, and get the possible exposure that they otherwise might not have gotten. A great player, on a small 1A farming community highschool would never get the exposure, or see the competion needed to improve, if not for an AAu program. On the other side though, we're asking volunteer coaches, many of which are involved as they have a kid(s) coming up through the ranks, to act impartially, for all the players interest. It just doesn't happen. I've seen AAU coaches play their own child in favor of their best players when they know college "eyes" are present. I was involved in the AAU ranks for some time and have seen some of the "back room" antics that take place. Parents are told that "Johnny" has a bright future, because they need the $$$ and another travel player to make it all work. Again, this isn't the scene with all AAU programs, but far too many. High School coaches used to cringe when they heard that a certain player was joining up with an AAU program. As one once told me, " it takes too long to de-program them and break some bad habits when the school season starts." I'd have to say though, that many have benefited from the summer development their elite players were getting, even though it may not fit into their plan or role for a specific player.
As others have mentioned, all of this can have an adverse affect when the players enter the college ranks, with a far higher expectation of the experience, then they should.

FWalum

Quote from: lowposter on June 25, 2012, 10:46:15 AM

lowposter
Perhaps I sounded a little too negative about AAU programs in general.  Yes there are great programs and great coaches that help many deserving young men achieve goals that they would otherwise not be able to attain.  For those men, and there are many, I am extremely grateful.  There still are, as Jack mentions, a few bad apples in the bushel that taint my memories.   >:(
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show