• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo Baseball Receives Votes

Started by VULB#62, January 05, 2013, 01:02:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

valpotx

Definitely an achievement to get any kind of recognition of this sort.  I would be interested to know who voted for us though, were they people covering the Midwest or HL as when our men's basketball team received a vote in the AP poll pre-season from CSU's beat writer?  Either way, I think we will have a great season, and hopefully win a game in the NCAA tourney this season!
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

Hey TX, we got 40 points. More than one guy gave us something.

valpotx

That sounds great, I didn't see on the link, and was too lazy to google it. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

agibson

This page
http://www.baseballnews.com/polls/divI/currentpolldivI.htm
has the full list of teams, though not the number of points past the top-40.

It's got Valpo 101 out of 111 teams receiving votes, something like that.  I'm a little surprised that 40 points would be so close to the end of the list.

But, anyway, great for VU baseball!  Congrats!

Valposter

Quote from: agibson on January 09, 2013, 01:05:56 PMThis page http://www.baseballnews.com/polls/divI/currentpolldivI.htm has the full list of teams, though not the number of points past the top-40. It's got Valpo 101 out of 111 teams receiving votes, something like that. I'm a little surprised that 40 points would be so close to the end of the list. But, anyway, great for VU baseball! Congrats!

Valpo Baseball receiving votes for the PreSeason Top 40 is even more impressive when you look at some of the larger southern, western and mid-western baseball programs with some past success that didn't get votes, to include (I'm sure I missed some):

ACC:
Wake Forest
Virginia Tech

Big 12:
Kansas State
Texas Tech
Kansas

Big East:
Cincinnati
West Virginia
Pittsburgh

Big Ten:
Michigan

MVC:
Creighton
Valpo Baseball:  2012 Horizon League Regular Season Champion!  2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back Horizon League Tournament Champions! 2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back NCAA Tournament Regional Appearances!

Valposter

Does anyone know if there is a site that lists how many points/votes each team below the Top 40 received?  Is there any site that shows where the votes came from i.e who voted for who?  I doubt it, but thought I would ask.
Valpo Baseball:  2012 Horizon League Regular Season Champion!  2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back Horizon League Tournament Champions! 2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back NCAA Tournament Regional Appearances!

valpo04

Quote from: Valposter on January 09, 2013, 01:37:54 PM

Big 12:
Kansas State
Texas Tech
Kansas
West Virginia

Big East:
Cincinnati
West Virginia
Pittsburgh

Big Ten:
Michigan

MVC:
Creighton

Fixed one thing for you!

valpotx

So that technically puts us as #101, which is still very good.  I remember my first year of playing that we were in the bottom 20 due to an 11-12 win season.  There has been steady improvement since that time, which I absolutely love to see  ;D
"Don't mess with Texas"

Valposter

Quote from: valpo04 on January 09, 2013, 01:47:39 PM
Quote from: Valposter on January 09, 2013, 01:37:54 PMBig 12: Kansas State Texas Tech Kansas West Virginia Big East: Cincinnati West Virginia Pittsburgh Big Ten: Michigan MVC: Creighton
Fixed one thing for you!
Good catch!!! 
Quote from: valpo04 on January 09, 2013, 01:47:39 PM
Quote from: Valposter on January 09, 2013, 01:37:54 PMBig 12: Kansas State Texas Tech Kansas West Virginia Big East: Cincinnati West Virginia Pittsburgh Big Ten: Michigan MVC: Creighton
Fixed one thing for you!

Good catch Valpo04!  Just further reinforces with me how much all of this conference re-alignment is going to drive me crazy!

talksalot

Anyone going to be in Central Florida in Mid-March?  My flight leaves the morning after we hoist the Championship Trophy in the ARC on March 12th... and I plan to be at the Valpo-Navy game on the 13th and Valpo-Bucknell game on the 14th.   (My sister went to Bucknell and I promised her a valpo victory.... she's still laughing)...

valpotx

I wish that I could, but I will probably only be at the conference tournament, and possible NCAA games again.  I look forward to next year when we have some TX games!  Btw, Valpo will beat Bucknell and Navy...
"Don't mess with Texas"

jetz

I will be at all games on the FL swing.  And we will beat Bucknell and Navy.  And most of the other ones too.   :popcorn: FYI--on every road trip the parents/fans have at least one organized gathering at a bar for drinks/food.  We call it the Round Table.  Florida will probably have RTs at all three locations--times and places TBA.  I'll let you know on this board and all are welcome.  The first RT is in Nashville, Saturday, Feb 16, 7:30p CST at the Big River Grille on Broadway.   :cheers:
"How'd you like to mow my lawn?  Mmmm?  Mmmm?"--Judge Smails

LaPorteAveApostle

I could probably make the drive up to Port Charlotte, even that early in the AM!

please keep us posted as to where and when any VU parent/fan gatherings might take place? 

thanks muchly!
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

jetz

Will do.  I don't know exactly where yet, so it will probably be announced the day before.  Most games are in the a.m., so the Round Table will be afterward.  BTW, had a nice group of 15 show up in Nashville and then 19 in Cali.  Good times...
"How'd you like to mow my lawn?  Mmmm?  Mmmm?"--Judge Smails