• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2013 Spring Game Assessment

Started by VULB#62, April 20, 2013, 10:56:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FWalum

Here is what he said to one of his followers on Twitter so it looks to be true at least from his perspective.

Coach Evans
‏@After__Seven
handle your business. I just got a college job at Valparaiso Univ in Indiana...
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

VULB#62

He's now 35ish. Don't know where he's been lately, but here is some history:

(From back in 2008) Evans, 30, has spent the six previous seasons (2002-07) in the af2 with Memphis, Greensboro, Macon, Birmingham, South Georgia, Tennessee Valley and Texas and spent the 2001 season in the Arena Football League with the Nashville Kats practice squad. Evans has thrown for 2,762 yards, 54 touchdowns and completed 190 passes on 400 attempts in 33 career af2 games.

The 6-foot-4, 215-pound signal-caller posted career-highs in touchdown passes (25), passing yards (1,125), completion percentage (60.5) and pass rating (115.57) in 11 games with Birmingham in 2004, helping guide the Steeldogs to a 10-6 record and a berth in the ArenaCup Playoffs.

Evans highlighted his college career by starting six games for the Memphis Tigers (NCAA) in 1998 and earned Conference USA Co-Player of the Week against Ole Miss when he completed 24 of 39 passes for 215 yards and one touchdown against Ole Miss. As a 2000 senior, Evans was named the ESPN/USA Today Div. I-AA Player of the Week after throwing for 451 yards and four touchdowns against Murray State.

Playing in the arena league translates to "need a quick read and release or you're toast."

FWalum

Interesting to see that one of his followers is Erik Buggs = @ImJustEB15

@ImJustEB15 I just got hired as the QB coach for Valpo football team.. Keep doing your thing and I'll catch up with you when i get up there.
Reply  Retweet  Favorite   More
9:37 AM - 24 Apr 13

Reply to @After__Seven @ImJustEB15

Erik Buggs ‏@ImJustEB15 24 Apr
@After__Seven that's what I heard, congrats! Just hit me up once you in town and we can link up.

and that he apparently has been following Erik and VU basketball as per this tweet

Coach Evans ‏@After__Seven 12 Mar
This Valpo and Wright State game has me on the edge of my seat

He also appears to be a snazzy dresser!
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

historyman

Quote from: usc4valpo on April 27, 2013, 08:09:15 AM4000 at their spring game - that is inmpressive, but it is also a novelty there.

I think the key word there is "novelty." If you go from not having football to having a football team there is a lot of curiosity from the folks around town and at the school to see what kind of team this new coach can put together. It's the old "try it, you might like it" kind of thinking.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpotx

The key word is 'Southern' as well  ;)
"Don't mess with Texas"

usc4valpo

Quote from: historyman on April 27, 2013, 03:53:19 PM
Quote from: usc4valpo on April 27, 2013, 08:09:15 AM4000 at their spring game - that is inmpressive, but it is also a novelty there.
I think the key word there is "novelty." If you go from not having football to having a football team there is a lot of curiosity from the folks around town and at the school to see what kind of team this new coach can put together. It's the old "try it, you might like it" kind of thinking.
agreed.  but in reality, when has Valpo truly ever had 400 fans at a football game?

valpotx

Quote from: usc4valpo on April 27, 2013, 08:42:42 PM
agreed.  but in reality, when has Valpo truly ever had 400 fans at a football game?

When I was in school, it was that multiplied by 12  ;)
"Don't mess with Texas"

historyman

Quote from: valpotx on April 28, 2013, 01:59:49 AM

I have to agree with valpotx. Even this past season, when the win/loss record was 0-0, the Crusader fans seemed renewed and were expecting good things, the crowd at Brown Field was pretty decent against St.Joe.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

VULB#62

Quote from: valpotx on April 28, 2013, 01:59:49 AM

Different generation, of course, but when we regularly played Ball State, Indiana State and Butler in the Old ICC we routinely had 5,000-6,000 at rickety old Brown Field. And the St. Joe's game was usually a blood bath.  O.P. Kretzman, in a trench coat, clerical collar and fedora usually sat in the first row right behind the bench.  I think that was because he was also right in  front of the cheerleaders  ;)

usc4valpo

Of course, there were the early 80's under Cookie, and watching Phil Kunz's dad prounce back and forth behind the Valpo sideline.  Anticipation was abound while the Valpo faithful was waiting for their first touchdown midway through the 1981 season.

valpopal

Quote from: valpopal on April 26, 2013, 10:59:29 PM
I heard today that Valpo has hired a new QB coach named Kenton Evans (a former Memphis Tigers QB), but unless I missed it, I haven't seen anything here. Anybody know details?

Still haven't seen any official announcement from Valpo, but I got a confirmation about this from someone on the football staff.

VULB#62

I snipped this from Coach Carlson's Twitter page:

Dale Carlson ‏@valpofb 16h
If you study any successful FB team, they do 4 things – play great defense, win the kicking game, protect the ball, score in the red zone

IMO the 2013 Crusaders will be able to move the ball.  There's a veteran QB in Hoffman, a good running back in Hutson and experience at receiver.  Depth may be an issue, but these guys should move the chains.  It's always been my concern that defense was not a priority.  However, this tweet might be a clue to what is going to be emphasized in the coming season.  The good sized, aggressive DL recruits point in that direction.  Here's hoping we get involved in a lot of close games that with some luck we can pull out in the end.  But we gotta keep it close -- no more 30 points-against average in the first quarter -- protect the ball and don't come up empty in the red zone.

covufan

Quote from: VULB#62 on May 09, 2013, 07:11:37 AM
I snipped this from Coach Carlson's Twitter page:

Dale Carlson ‏@valpofb 16h
If you study any successful FB team, they do 4 things – play great defense, win the kicking game, protect the ball, score in the red zone

IMO the 2013 Crusaders will be able to move the ball.  There's a veteran QB in Hoffman, a good running back in Hutson and experience at receiver.  Depth may be an issue, but these guys should move the chains.  It's always been my concern that defense was not a priority.  However, this tweet might be a clue to what is going to be emphasized in the coming season.  The good sized, aggressive DL recruits point in that direction.  Here's hoping we get involved in a lot of close games that with some luck we can pull out in the end.  But we gotta keep it close -- no more 30 points-against average in the first quarter -- protect the ball and don't come up empty in the red zone.
The defense needs to limit the long scoring plays as well.  How many scoring plays did our opponents convert longer than 35-40 yards?  Way too many.

covufan

Quote from: covufan on May 09, 2013, 12:45:09 PMHow many scoring plays did our opponents convert longer than 35-40 yards?  Way too many.
I looked it up and here are the results:  VU had two scoring plays from scrimage of 35 yards or longer.  Our opponents had 17 scoring plays from scrimage of 35 yards or longer.  Our opponents also had two KO returns, an INT return and a fumble return of greater than 35 yards.  I'll predict that if our team can reverse this trend (VU having 17 long scoring plays and only giving up 2) we'll win more than one game this year.  Of course, I'd like to see it about even for this year, which should keep us in more games during the second half. 

VULB#62

Good analysis.    :thumbsup:   Those big plays are morale as well as scoreboard killers.

usc4valpo

Quote from: covufan on May 09, 2013, 12:45:09 PM
Quote from: VULB#62 on May 09, 2013, 07:11:37 AMI snipped this from Coach Carlson's Twitter page: Dale Carlson ‏@valpofb 16h If you study any successful FB team, they do 4 things – play great defense, win the kicking game, protect the ball, score in the red zone IMO the 2013 Crusaders will be able to move the ball. There's a veteran QB in Hoffman, a good running back in Hutson and experience at receiver. Depth may be an issue, but these guys should move the chains. It's always been my concern that defense was not a priority. However, this tweet might be a clue to what is going to be emphasized in the coming season. The good sized, aggressive DL recruits point in that direction. Here's hoping we get involved in a lot of close games that with some luck we can pull out in the end. But we gotta keep it close -- no more 30 points-against average in the first quarter -- protect the ball and don't come up empty in the red zone.
The defense needs to limit the long scoring plays as well. How many scoring plays did our opponents convert longer than 35-40 yards? Way too many.
If not, can we return to our ever enjoyable discussion of ending the Carlson experiment?  Westhead coaching the Denver Nuggets in the early 90's may have worked better.

VU75

Good to  see Greg Wood getting a look see at Bears rookie camp.

VULB#62

Unclear to me whether he has signed a FA contract or is just there on a try out basis. In New England, there is a parade of players that come through for one-day visits, but only those offered a FA contract stay longer that the day.

valpodad27

Quote from: vu72 on April 23, 2013, 01:33:20 PM
Quote from: willy on April 23, 2013, 09:07:33 AM
Quote from: VULB#62 on April 23, 2013, 08:45:22 AMSpeaking of the running game, anybody know why Gabe Ali-El has disappeared? The one-back system with such a pronounced emphasis on the pass as the ball control mechanism, IMO, is self-limiting and is very predictable. Hutson is already a targeted man and defenses will key on him as the only running threat. Because of the heavy emphasis on the pass, Hoffman will not be risked as an option QB to add that other necessary threat. By comparison, Butler's Lancaster is a threat to run as well as pass and that puts tremendous pressure on the D. At one point last year at least we had an inside runner, Ryan Lehr, who made tough yardage inside the tackles and took some pressure off of Hutson.
I have heard Ali-El tranferred after some run ins with the coaching staff.  Max Delia also left which leaves only three running backs that were dressed for the spring game.  One is a converted defensive player Hayden Hast who didn't look bad.  I agree the one back sytem is very limiting. 

One of the papers said Gabe was an academic casualty.

It was probably more so coaching problems than academics. From what the players have told me, Gabe simply felt he had the ability to play at a higher level so that is what he set out to do. He has the interest of schools like Howard, Delaware state, and more so I just wish him the best. He really is a great player

usc4valpo

Dude, I think any labeling of a Valpo football player as "great" is exaggerated.  Ali-El was not getting the touches and game time.  I don't think it will have an effect.

covufan

Quote from: usc4valpo on May 11, 2013, 10:12:35 AMWesthead coaching the Denver Nuggets in the early 90's may have worked better.
A TV sportscaster in Indy during that ill-fated Westhead season only referred to them as "Enver", because that have no "D"!

valpopal

I'm hearing John Snyder will be leaving as head coach at Chesterton High School to be an assistant football coach at VU. Will likely be coming in July with new QB coach Kenton Evans.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: valpopal on May 13, 2013, 06:04:29 PM
I'm hearing John Snyder will be leaving as head coach at Chesterton High School to be an assistant football coach at VU. Will likely be coming in July with new QB coach Kenton Evans.
And I'm reading it!

http://posttrib.suntimes.com/sports/20089684-556/football-john-snyder-steps-down-as-chesterton-coach.html

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015