• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Mercer University, Stetson University to Join Pioneer Football League in 2013

Started by setshot, June 15, 2011, 12:25:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

setshot

A hearty welcome to both Mercer U. and Stetson U. on joining the PFL. I hope both schools are on VU"s schedule in 2013. Hell,maybe by that time we can beat both teams. Mercer is but two hours from here,so if VU is once again winning some football games, we'll be there. "The class of "55 will be the best."

valpo04

QuotePioneer Football League Commissioner Patty Viverito announced that Mercer University and Stetson University have accepted the league's invitations for membership. Both institutions will begin play with the 2013 season, bringing the league's membership to 12 teams at that time.

Mercer, located in Macon, Ga., announced the return of its football program in 2010. The Bears have not competed in football since 1941 but its history includes playing the first football game in Georgia against the University of Georgia in 1892. Mercer is the only private university in Georgia with NCAA Division I membership.

http://www.valpoathletics.com/news/default/173/10864/

agibson

Both returning to football after 50+ year absences.  Could be good!

valporun

Quote from: agibson on July 08, 2011, 08:03:21 AM
Both returning to football after 50+ year absences.  Could be good!

Do we dare guarantee two wins in 2013? I mean I suppose we could, but they might be low scoring affairs.

sectionee

Sadly,I don't think you can guarantee any kind of positive game result for VU football.  But, it all gets started September 3.

Valpo89

Anyone happen to notice that the football program's golf outing had to be cancelled due to lack of interest? Ouch. School even put out a release on it.

milanmiracle

Quote from: Valpo89 on July 09, 2011, 09:41:48 AM
Anyone happen to notice that the football program's golf outing had to be cancelled due to lack of interest? Ouch. School even put out a release on it.

Wow. I had no idea it had gotten this bad. That sucks for the current players and coaches. Ouch is right
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

agibson