• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Homer Drew on ESPN 3 broadcast tonight

Started by bbtds, November 14, 2014, 10:51:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbtds

I don't this was mentioned earlier. Homer Drew was part of the broadcast team that did the Illinois-Georgia Southern game tonight on ESPN3.

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/basketball/college/homer-drew-set-to-make-espn-broadcasting-debut/article_539d3a83-29c5-5e85-834d-563543eaf613.html

VALPARAISO | Homer Drew can't remember the last time he attended a college basketball game that didn't involve Valparaiso or Baylor.

The former Valparaiso men's basketball coach will certainly remember after tonight when Drew makes his broadcasting debut for ESPN. Drew will serve as the color commentator on the ESPN3 broadcast of Illinois and Georgia Southern, alongside play-by-play announcer Zach Zaidman.

Drew, who is set to do a package of Big Ten games this season, has formerly served as a studio analyst for various networks during the NCAA tournament.

"Wow, I certainly haven't seen a normal game in many years," Drew said. "The NCAA changed the rules and we couldn't go scout anymore so we had to rely on game tape. It's been a long time that's for sure."

Always thinking of his fellow coaching fraternity, Drew didn't want to agree to broadcast tonight's game until he had the chance to talk with Illinois coach John Groce. The Illini are playing in a tournament in Las Vegas later this month and could be matched against Scott Drew's Baylor Bears. Drew wanted to be sure Groce didn't have any problems with a possible conflict of interest.

"John is a truly great individual," Drew said. "He told me to come on down, invited me to practice. He's doing a great job at Illinois."

Drew has always had the broadcasting itch and his debut tonight will be a long time coming. Shortly after Drew retired from coaching Valparaiso in 2011, he was set to take some meetings to discuss beginning his broadcasting career. Those meetings were put on hold when both he and wife Janet were diagnosed with cancer. Three years later and both with clean bills of health, Drew decided it was time to tackle his next adventure.

"When I first retired, I started to ask what would be interesting to do," Drew said. "Broadcasting was a possibility and then the cancer came and other things became more important."

Drew is excited to broadcast for the main goal that it will keep him involved in the game that he loves. With new generations of players and coaches coming on to television screens and mobile devices all over the world, Drew is just happy to have a seat at the table. That doesn't mean he knows what kind of analyst he's going to be or if he is going to eventually develop some Dickie V-esque catchphrases.

"I really have no idea what I'll be like," Drew said. "The best advice I received was from (ESPN announcer and former coach) Fran Fraschilla. He told me just to be myself. I'm going to call the game as I see it and it's in my nature to look for the good from the coaches and the players."

talksalot

Just watched the replay coach...!   Great job... and you had an interesting game to watch.