• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #8 - @ The Morehead Eagles

Started by VULB#62, October 18, 2014, 04:17:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpotx

In listening to the postgame, I agree that we have many solid young players that will help us the next few seasons.  The only question mark is at QB.  If only Lehman had another season, as again, he is a serviceable above-average QB for the PFL.  If you have players around a QB like that, you can win games.  Hopefully Stokes is what he seemed to be based on the recruiting notes, as we will need him.
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

I AM PAST FRUSTRATION!

Sir Thomas gets his head back by the thinnest little bit of skin.

VUDad

No game comes down to one play. But QB keeping the ball to the short side on third and two is mysterious. Box was stacked, just like it was on first and second downs. On the up side, we put up points and unleashed some big plays that the rest of our opponents will need to respect. As for looking to next year, some more guys are getting good time. 37  looked great.

ole skol baller 2

While sitting here In Morehead. VU played well rounded game. Wow!!!! Disappointing lost. Us fan's at the game applauded the players as they walked off the field.  Telling them to keep their heads up. 

setshot

Although a loss is a loss a 1 pt. loss is certainly better than the 30,40,50 pt. losses we've seen in the past. Go Valpo! :thumbsup:

usc4valpo

This team and this program is getting better.  It is not at the stage where we want it to be, but there is obvious improvement.  Rebuilding this program is a challenge - new scheme, a need for more talent and sustainability, getting the right attitude, all that.  A four win season would be a great accomplishment and it is in grasp.  2 years ago Valpo lost to these guys 76 to 20 (something close to that).    They have some young talent, and if they stay and Cecchini continues to get more talent and depth, I think they will have a 0.500 or better record by 2016.

bbtds

Quote from: setshot on October 26, 2014, 12:12:47 PM
Although a loss is a loss a 1 pt. loss is certainly better than the 30,40,50 pt. losses we've seen in the past. Go Valpo! :thumbsup:

For new posters and readers this is a huge statement in that setshot is no longer advocating dropping the football program. He's probably been doing that previously for about 15 years. Setshot probably out gives to the athletic program than all other posters combined. That is a big big move in a positive direction. Keep the momentum building. Valpo football will be back!

VUDad

Special teams going from a struggle to scoring 23 of 47 points yesterday, plus guys like Morgan going from special teams to special player, shows a very appealing possibility--the ability for the coaches to develop players and pull the best out of them. Developing and retaining talent will help turn this program around far more than expecting a new era of recruiting. Valpo has, and will continue to, recruit out of the same talent level as the rest of the PFL due to the scholarship limitation. We have multiple all state HS players, as do the other PFL teams we play. The ability to develop those players, as we might be catching a glimpse of this past weekend, is a tangible sign of turnaround. The Valpo special teams coach deserves a pay raise if this continues.

vu72

Quote from: VUDad on October 26, 2014, 05:20:40 PM
Special teams going from a struggle to scoring 23 of 47 points yesterday, plus guys like Morgan going from special teams to special player, shows a very appealing possibility--the ability for the coaches to develop players and pull the best out of them. Developing and retaining talent will help turn this program around far more than expecting a new era of recruiting. Valpo has, and will continue to, recruit out of the same talent level as the rest of the PFL due to the scholarship limitation. We have multiple all state HS players, as do the other PFL teams we play. The ability to develop those players, as we might be catching a glimpse of this past weekend, is a tangible sign of turnaround. The Valpo special teams coach deserves a pay raise if this continues.

Agreed.  Clearly some players have stepped up their games and are receiving more playing time as a result.  Guys like JJ Nunes played out of their minds yesterday.  Although Ben Lehman played a very good game and made some throws (like the perfect throw to Gladney for a TD where only he could have caught it) he is still missing too many (However how many quarterbacks and wide receivers in the same game can say they threw a TD pass and also caught one!  :o).  If we can find a more accurate thrower this team has lots of promise.  If you look at the roster, many of the key guys both on offense and defense return or at least can come back if they choose to play one more year.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

I caught some of the game on my phone but missed some of the key plays -- especially near the end.  When I saw the final score, I was crushed.  I ignored the VU site and the forum until today.  Couldn't face them.  But now that I have removed the noose from my neck and stepped off the chair, I have to agree with most of you in your assessments. 

I asked myself when in the last five previous years have we been so close in so many games?  If these games had taken place last year we probably would have been reluctantly OK with giving Carlson the last year of his contract.  Last year we won 1 game in OT against Campbell and for some strange reason played Drake tough.  But we were so miserable against every other PFL team it was outright embarrassing. This year we could have/should have beaten Campbell, Drake and Morehead so far and might give Butler a run for their money and maybe hand them a loss.  And we should be able to walk off the field with our heads up against Dayton and USD as well just as long as we can keep the scores fairly close even though we are real long shots for an upset.  And we have a very decent shot at a win against Davidson.

We are seeing the gradual infusion of new players and their immediate contributions at a rate we did not see in the past while at the  same time vetreran players are making plays and contributing regularly.  By all previous measures we are seeing the overall improvement in the program we were so desperately seeking.  While frustrating in its continued losses, it finally is pointing us in the right direction.  Yes, we can second guess play calling and the mistakes, but at least right now, that criticism is in the context of possibly winning instead of avoiding 40+ point blowouts. 

We are slowly gaining respectability.  We have 4 more games.  We could go 0-4, but it won't be without a fight -- again, unlike the last few years.  More realistically, we will be in a competitive game with Davidson and could pull out a win.  And then maybe hopefully, we will find a way to upset Butler. Any way you cut it, this a vastly different Valpo football team from its predecessors.

LaPorteAveApostle

Yeah, hard to imagine a more crushing defeat lately.

But for the record--the last time we were involved in back-to-back games that were decided by one score (<9 points) was the end of 2007, when we lost to Morehead 16-14 and beat Jax 29-27.

It's taken us SEVEN years to get to the point where we could play two close games in a row. #moralvictories
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

covufan

Quote from: bbtds on October 26, 2014, 04:10:27 PM
Quote from: setshot on October 26, 2014, 12:12:47 PM

For new posters and readers this is a huge statement in that setshot is no longer advocating dropping the football program. He's probably been doing that previously for about 15 years. Setshot probably out gives to the athletic program than all other posters combined. That is a big big move in a positive direction. Keep the momentum building. Valpo football will be back!
Was thinking the same thing - most positive football post by setshot in some time.  Thanks setshot!