• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Brawl Breaks Out, Basketball Season Over for Griffith and Hammond

Started by swiftmutiny, February 10, 2015, 03:29:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HC

Completely irresponsible behavior by fans and players.

Griffith had a pretty talented team this year too.

valpo64

Did either of the teams have a player(s) that was being watched by major or mid-major college?

LaPorteAveApostle

the Murphy twins were mentioned (all right, by me) in the post starting off the Recruiting: 2016 thread...so i think so, yeah:

http://www.valpofanzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=1880.0
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

Valpo18

Griffith is playing for the Class 3A State Title game this weekend. A lot of people aren't happy about it.

I'm not sure if my facts are straight or not, but my understanding is that they were suspended for the entire year (ended up forfeiting 7 games) but appealed to the Lake County Court. The court overruled the IHSAA suspension right before post season play.

I went to high school at Griffith, so I'm all for it  :)

valpo64

Nothing like playing in front of the very people that originally suspended your program.  As Bill Raftery would say, "In your face!"

bbtds

Quote from: Valpo18 on March 24, 2015, 03:10:56 PM
Griffith is playing for the Class 3A State Title game this weekend. A lot of people aren't happy about it.

I'm not sure if my facts are straight or not, but my understanding is that they were suspended for the entire year (ended up forfeiting 7 games) but appealed to the Lake County Court. The court overruled the IHSAA suspension right before post season play.

I went to high school at Griffith, so I'm all for it  :)

The court found that the IHSAA penalzed Griffith and Hammond more severely than other schools that had had brawls during their games. I do believe it was a prejudice shown by IHSAA commissioner, Blake Ress, towards the NW Indiana region due to earlier conflicts with high schools in the region that include a previous confrontation with Griffith over the eligibility of former VU player, Kenny Harris.

LaPorteAveApostle

They're going up against Guerin Catholic, led by ex-Chesterton star, former VU-target, and Lehigh commit Matt Holba.

It will be interesting to say the least.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa