• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Ryan Fazekas

Started by tiny707, March 22, 2019, 08:27:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tiny707

This is his team now. Senior from the region. A big reason Robinson and Gordon came to Valpo. Wants to be at Valpo.

VU2014

Quote from: tiny707 on March 22, 2019, 08:27:12 PM
This is his team now. Senior from the region. A big reason Robinson and Gordon came to Valpo. Wants to be at Valpo.

It's no ones team. Hence, "team". I think it's fair to be critical of Lottich of some things but he may be onto something about needing to get rid of the "me" attitude. We need to see these guys play as a team and excel with ball movement which wasn't there the last few years. Part of that falls on the coaches but it does take unselfish players to play a team oriented game

may know

God the thread title scared me.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VU2014 on March 22, 2019, 10:56:54 PM
Quote from: tiny707 on March 22, 2019, 08:27:12 PM

It's no ones team. Hence, "team". I think it's fair to be critical of Lottich of some things but he may be onto something about needing to get rid of the "me" attitude. We need to see these guys play as a team and excel with ball movement which wasn't there the last few years. Part of that falls on the coaches but it does take unselfish players to play a team oriented game

An opinion, the "me" attitude came out the pores of Bakari and Smits.  This is the main reason I was not upset by their departure. 

Golder appeared that way the first half of his first year but came out of his shell in conference.  In year 2 I thought he was better as well.

I will miss Golder and Freeman as core contributors to the program, this just sucks.

GoldenCrusader87

I'm shocked - honestly - that Ryan hasn't announced a transfer yet. It's been abstractly hinted at that there's limitations to our strength & conditioning program and/or our medical services.

Ryan's dad was down there checking on him all the time. We've quickly forgotten about the number of ankle injuries, for instance. If guys don't feel they're being medically treated as well as a bigger program could offer (given their finances and resources) you can't blame them. Injuries are sustained everywhere. Nobody is exempt. But science does also show the things we can do now - thru technology - to prepare for competitions and recover quicker. So, you've gotta wonder if there's a connection there. Converting a closet into a nutrition center of sorts with granola bars, yogurt, and fruit is a step in the right direction but pales in comparison to what's offered elsewhere.

truth219

Ryan Fazekus can shoot, but if you look at his over all game he is a decent player at best. His defense, rebounding, and passing is all average to slightly below average. At the beginning of the season when his shots wouldn't fall, he looked like a bust to a lot of people. To say that that this is his team is scary. This team currently has no  identity. He can shoot but his value lives and dies by the three pointer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

JD24

Quote from: GoldenCrusader87 on March 23, 2019, 10:26:17 AMI'm shocked - honestly - that Ryan hasn't announced a transfer yet. It's been abstractly hinted at that there's limitations to our strength & conditioning program and/or our medical services. Ryan's dad was down there checking on him all the time. We've quickly forgotten about the number of ankle injuries, for instance. If guys don't feel they're being medically treated as well as a bigger program could offer (given their finances and resources) you can't blame them. Injuries are sustained everywhere. Nobody is exempt. But science does also show the things we can do now - thru technology - to prepare for competitions and recover quicker. So, you've gotta wonder if there's a connection there. Converting a closet into a nutrition center of sorts with granola bars, yogurt, and fruit is a step in the right direction but pales in comparison to what's offered elsewhere.
Is this kid going to search all over the country to find a school he can get through a couple of games without injuring himself since it is apparently at least 2 programs who can't seem to keep the guy healthy?

Maybe this is just an injury prone human being which has message board posters trying to pin every possible perceived wrong on the coach or program in general.

crusader05

One of the more concrete thing that Matt said in his last interview was they were going to look at strength and conditioning in regard to ankles specifically so hopefully something comes of that.

I also think the Ryan seems to be a different type of player that might be a better fit for Lottich. He seemed pretty even-keel and he would scramble on defense.

My big hope is that Lottich has learned what went wrong in his recruiting and changes things up for next year now that he has the opportunity to do so. I think he was given a time to recruit when we could grab recruits that we couldn't before because of our most recent success and didn't think about fit or a larger scheme than he should have.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: crusader05 on March 23, 2019, 06:20:07 PM
One of the more concrete thing that Matt said in his last interview was they were going to look at strength and conditioning in regard to ankles specifically so hopefully something comes of that.

I also think the Ryan seems to be a different type of player that might be a better fit for Lottich. He seemed pretty even-keel and he would scramble on defense.

My big hope is that Lottich has learned what went wrong in his recruiting and changes things up for next year now that he has the opportunity to do so. I think he was given a time to recruit when we could grab recruits that we couldn't before because of our most recent success and didn't think about fit or a larger scheme than he should have.

You are spot on about "fit".  On paper we had the most talent in the conference (which means nothing, 3* etc), but in reality they couldn't play together for one reason or another.

If Lottich doesn't better understand fit and his offensive scheme by this next recruiting class, then hasta la vista baby.

crusader05

If I remember right, Wasn't Ryan originally the guy Lottich recruited before he picked providence? Who was in charge of recruiting Joe/Bakari/Golder/Javon? If it's a combination of Dildy and Ragland it really could be that there was bad strategy or just lack of cohesive strategy.

We could end up having a blessing in disguise if Lottich is able to reset a bit with some core new people around him that better fit in with his coaching style and what he likes to see from his players outside of just skill levels. (I don't include Javon in a lot of this, as I think he was just a great player with a high ceiling that needed a winning season to stay because those high major offers were always going to tempt him)

VU2014

tiny707

Hopefully more than one game for left for Ryan..