• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Covid Affecting Many Games Already

Started by Just Sayin, December 28, 2021, 11:27:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just Sayin

Tuesday, December 28:
Games Played 13
Games Postponed 5
Games Cancelled 12

Conferences should rewrite their Covid policy so as not to cancel and forfeit games. This is stupid plain and simple.

Just Sayin

CDC changed quarantine time from 10 days to 5 days. HOWEVER.........Bird brains.
https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status/1476000580338429957

may know

The NHL just had a week leading up to X-Mas where 50-100% of games were postponed on a nightly basis.

I think this variant is going to wreak havoc on the season.

Just Sayin

Tuesday, December 28:
Games Played 13
Games Postponed 5
Games Cancelled 12

Wednesday, December 29:
Games Played 38
Games Postponed 18
Games Cancelled 16

Just Sayin

Tuesday, December 28:
Games Played 13
Games Postponed 5
Games Cancelled 12
Percent of games postponed and cancelled: 57%

Wednesday, December 29:
Games Played 38
Games Postponed 18
Games Cancelled 16
Percent of games postponed and cancelled: 47%

Thursday, December 30:
Games Played 39
Games Postponed 17
Games Cancelled 13
Percent of games postponed and cancelled: 43%

may know

MAAC has just about everything canceled right now.

There's NHL teams playing with more AHL players than NHL players.

vu84v2

Quote from: may know on December 30, 2021, 09:43:49 PM
MAAC has just about everything canceled right now.

There's NHL teams playing with more AHL players than NHL players.

The NBA has 3-5 players making their NBA debut each day.

usc4valpo

Looks like I'll be work8ng from home soon

valpopal

Due to the long lines and difficulty getting covid testing in the region, Valpo will be hosting a testing site on campus for faculty and staff next week starting 1/7 before the new semester starts. Appointments will be necessary.

[tweet]1475658041810894854[/tweet]

Just Sayin

People with no symptoms or no fever should not be getting tested. A waste of resources.

Just Sayin

Tuesday, December 28:
Games Played 13
Games Postponed 5
Games Cancelled 12
Percent of games cancelled: 40%

Wednesday, December 29:
Games Played 38
Games Postponed 18
Games Cancelled 16
Percent of games cancelled: 22%

Thursday, December 30:
Games Played 39
Games Postponed 17
Games Cancelled 13
Percent of games cancelled: 19%

Friday, December 31:
Games Played 14
Games Postponed 8
Games Cancelled  3
Percent of games postponed and cancelled: 44%
Percent of games cancelled: 12%

Just Sayin

Hey hey, they are going to try and reschedule rather than have a fake win and loss. (forfeit)
https://twitter.com/ValleyHoops/status/1477097247250731014

wh

I support Commissioner Jackson's concern that coaches may cry COVID so they can get a game deferred, not because they don't have enough players, but because they don't have the "right" players.

Would you trust this face?

https://www.gannett-cdn.com/media/USATODAY/USATODAY/2013/05/24/1369419427000-XXX-Brian-Wardle-11591-1305242043_3_4.jpg

Ronald Reagan - "Trust, but verify."
wh - "Trust no one, verify everything."

JD24

Quote from: Just Sayin on December 31, 2021, 01:48:06 PMPeople with no symptoms or no fever should not be getting tested. A waste of resources.
I'm a big vax proponent and mask suggester. I agree with the above. Why are so many being tested?

FWalum

Quote from: JD24 on January 01, 2022, 09:53:24 AM
Quote from: Just Sayin on December 31, 2021, 01:48:06 PMPeople with no symptoms or no fever should not be getting tested. A waste of resources.
I'm a big vax proponent and mask suggester. I agree with the above. Why are so many being tested?

Exposure... went to DC for the holidays to be with my wife's family. We all tested before getting together because my mother-in-law is 87 and there are a number of small children in the family. Everyone tested negative right before we got together and within 3-4 days 5 of the family came down with COVID. So, many of us tested again because of being exposed.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

usc4valpo

Get your shots folks. I am not for government enforcement, but get the shots.

Just Sayin

Tuesday, December 28:
Games Played 13
Games Postponed 5
Games Cancelled 12
Percent of games cancelled: 40%

Wednesday, December 29:
Games Played 38
Games Postponed 18
Games Cancelled 16
Percent of games cancelled: 22%

Thursday, December 30:
Games Played 39
Games Postponed 17
Games Cancelled 13
Percent of games cancelled: 19%

Friday, December 31:
Games Played 14
Games Postponed 8
Games Cancelled  3
Percent of games postponed and cancelled: 44%
Percent of games cancelled: 12%

Saturday, January 1:
Games Played 47
Games Postponed 34
Games Cancelled  14
Percent of games postponed and cancelled: 51%
Percent of games cancelled: 15%

Just Sayin

Quote from: FWalum on January 02, 2022, 08:07:16 AM
Quote from: JD24 on January 01, 2022, 09:53:24 AM

Exposure... went to DC for the holidays to be with my wife's family. We all tested before getting together because my mother-in-law is 87 and there are a number of small children in the family. Everyone tested negative right before we got together and within 3-4 days 5 of the family came down with COVID. So, many of us tested again because of being exposed.

Of course you don't want to expose your 87-year-old MIL or any other high-risk individual to COVID. We need to use common sense. But there is no reason in most cases for vaccinated people who have no symptoms or a fever to get tested. Just saw a report than in one community there were 50 people who went to the ER to get tested. There are other patients who have strokes, heart attacks, cancer, serious injuries who need to be at the ER.  Many of those who went for a test probably did't have symptoms, they were just irrationally fearful they may have COVID of which there is a 99% survival rate if you catch it. And the Omicron is not at all a serious variant despite it being much more transmissible than the other variants. This is insane.

DuneHwx

Seems to me there is a difference between "vaccinated people shouldn't be tested" and "vaccinated people shouldn't go to the ER solely to be tested."

Omicron has proven to be supremely contagious which means even if it's not serious for you, you could give it to someone who will die because of it. Also, death is not the only adverse outcome as any long-Covid patient will tell you.

Pretending this isn't serious won't make it go away.

Just Sayin

Quote from: DuneHwx on January 02, 2022, 12:56:20 PM
Seems to me there is a difference between "vaccinated people shouldn't be tested" and "vaccinated people shouldn't go to the ER solely to be tested."

Omicron has proven to be supremely contagious which means even if it's not serious for you, you could give it to someone who will die because of it. Also, death is not the only adverse outcome as any long-Covid patient will tell you.

Pretending this isn't serious won't make it go away.

There is no likelihood of death which is greater than the common flu. It is no more serious than the flu.  The flu also has long-term adverse else effects.

FWalum

Quote from: Just Sayin on January 02, 2022, 01:34:17 PMThere is no likelihood of death which is greater than the common flu. It is no more serious than the flu.  The flu also has long-term adverse else effects.

Have had the flu numerous times and never almost died from it like what happened to me December of 2020. I agree that things are getting to a place of more common sense, but this is much more contagious than the flu and even if the percentages are similar more people will have issues simply because more people are getting sick.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

justducky

Quote from: FWalum on January 02, 2022, 03:39:20 PM
Quote from: Just Sayin on January 02, 2022, 01:34:17 PMThere is no likelihood of death which is greater than the common flu. It is no more serious than the flu.  The flu also has long-term adverse else effects.

Have had the flu numerous times and never almost died from it like what happened to me December of 2020. I agree that things are getting to a place of more common sense, but this is much more contagious than the flu and even if the percentages are similar more people will have issues simply because more people are getting sick.

The Omicron reports are showing it to be less deadly because it tends not to attack the lungs. Pretty sharp contrast when compared with the Delta variant and this might be a net positive as we strive for our new normal! With this, the anti-viral drug approvals and progress in vaccinations I'm seeing the light at the end of the tunnel! I hope to see my last local zoom meeting ASAP!