• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo vs. UIC (1/21) Game Thread

Started by valpopal, January 20, 2012, 02:45:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpopal

The early line in Vegas has UIC favored by 6 points. If Valpo plays as well as they have the last few games, I think an upset is likely:

Valpo 68
UIC    64

StlVUFan

Quote from: valpopal on January 20, 2012, 02:45:28 PM
The early line in Vegas has UIC favored by 6 points. If Valpo plays as well as they have the last few games, I think an upset is likely:

Valpo 68
UIC    64

Why do they think they need to induce people to bet on Valpo?

chipper955

Valpo 68
UIC    64

You have the line the wrong way.  The line I have is Valpo favored by 5.5.

valpopal

Quote from: chipper955 on January 20, 2012, 03:46:36 PM

Valpo 68
UIC    64

You might be right. I just double-checked and saw that there was a spacing typo on the odds sheet.

StlVUFan

Quote from: valpopal on January 20, 2012, 04:05:45 PM
Quote from: chipper955 on January 20, 2012, 03:46:36 PM

Valpo 68
UIC    64

You might be right. I just double-checked and saw that there was a spacing typo on the odds sheet.

That's better ;)

vuweathernerd

valpo by 5 1/2 makes so much more sense than uic by 6. but like the lead up to the loyola game, i think vegas is being kind to the chicago school. i'm thinking valpo by 13, 77-64. their tallest player is will simonton, listed at 6'10" and 217lbs. kevin should have some fun on the interior. and i think vucic (should we need him) could give the flames fits when darrin williams (6'9"/269lbs) is on the bench. no reason we can't put together two solid halves again tomorrow afternoon.

govalpogo

We've had trouble @UIC these last couple of years...playing terribly but pulling out the W in each instance.  Here's hoping for a complete, strong showing for a group of guys gaining momentum and looking for consistency! 

Valpo 70
UIC   58

cornonthe

StlVUFan

Quote from: vuweathernerd on January 20, 2012, 04:40:05 PM
valpo by 5 1/2 makes so much more sense than uic by 6. but like the lead up to the loyola game, i think vegas is being kind to the chicago school. i'm thinking valpo by 13, 77-64. their tallest player is will simonton, listed at 6'10" and 217lbs. kevin should have some fun on the interior. and i think vucic (should we need him) could give the flames fits when darrin williams (6'9"/269lbs) is on the bench. no reason we can't put together two solid halves again tomorrow afternoon.

I can't see Vegas establishing Valpo as a double-digit favorite over anybody this year, especially a conference rival, no matter how bottom of the barrel it is.  The HL is often hyped as a very tough league, top to bottom, and betting lines are set based on how people are likely to bet, not on a statistical analysis of the matchup.

vuweathernerd

Quote from: StlVUFan on January 20, 2012, 05:09:04 PM

I can't see Vegas establishing Valpo as a double-digit favorite over anybody this year, especially a conference rival, no matter how bottom of the barrel it is.  The HL is often hyped as a very tough league, top to bottom, and betting lines are set based on how people are likely to bet, not on a statistical analysis of the matchup.

i won't argue with you there, given the number of great games the conference has seen even just to this point this season. but i do think that we've improved since the start of the conference season, especially since that rough loss at wright state. i'm not asking for a 35 point beatdown. all i want to see is a solid 40 minute performance resulting in a w. and i think that if we do that, we can win by 12-15 points.

historyman

Quote from: vuweathernerd on January 20, 2012, 05:42:55 PMi won't argue with you there, given the number of great games the conference has seen even just to this point this season. but i do think that we've improved since the start of the conference season, especially since that rough loss at wright state. i'm not asking for a 35 point beatdown. all i want to see is a solid 40 minute performance resulting in a w. and i think that if we do that, we can win by 12-15 points.

I'll agree with that. If Valpo doesn't play badly for even 10 minutes Valpo wins by 12 to 15. But we need to keep playing as we did against CSU, YSU and Loyola.

StlVUFan

Quote from: vuweathernerd on January 20, 2012, 05:42:55 PM
Quote from: StlVUFan on January 20, 2012, 05:09:04 PM

i won't argue with you there, given the number of great games the conference has seen even just to this point this season. but i do think that we've improved since the start of the conference season, especially since that rough loss at wright state. i'm not asking for a 35 point beatdown. all i want to see is a solid 40 minute performance resulting in a w. and i think that if we do that, we can win by 12-15 points.

I expect a closer game than last night's, that's for sure.  I think UIC is slightly better than Loyola.

valporun

This game just took on some major importance in the conference race for Valpo! WE ARE TIED FOR FIRST in the conference now. UW-Milwaukee just lost to Youngstown St. 68-66 at the Beeghley Center. At one point, YSU had a 10-point lead at 54-44, but then they let a couple of mistakes get UWM back in the game. The free throw line and patience on offense and defense helped YSU win this game.

I was just looking at the UIC website about this game. I found out that our game with UIC will be on Comcast Sportsnet Chicago tomorrow, so if you live in the Chicago area, or in a range of Comcast Chicago, you can watch this game on your favorite tv screen without the crazy HDMI cords from your computer/laptop. I don't think it will be in HD, but at least you can watch the game on a better screen, and it won't be as grainy. Also, the announcers for this game with be Dave Wills and David Kaplan. For those who watched the Green Bay-Cleveland St. game, Kaplan was the color commentator for that game. He's worked many a Valpo game in the past. Dave Wills does radio for the Tampa Bay Rays during baseball season, and he's usually pretty decent. Just making you aware of who is calling the game, should any of us have issues with getting the WAKE radio stream to work properly. Let's Go Valpo!! We can overtake sole possession of 1st Place in the HL for a night at least with this win.

vusupporter

Or you could have just looked at the Valpo website and seen that it was on Comcast Chicago right in the lead paragraph.

Quote from: valporun on January 20, 2012, 08:00:33 PM
This game just took on some major importance in the conference race for Valpo! WE ARE TIED FOR FIRST in the conference now. UW-Milwaukee just lost to Youngstown St. 68-66 at the Beeghley Center. At one point, YSU had a 10-point lead at 54-44, but then they let a couple of mistakes get UWM back in the game. The free throw line and patience on offense and defense helped YSU win this game.

I was just looking at the UIC website about this game. I found out that our game with UIC will be on Comcast Sportsnet Chicago tomorrow, so if you live in the Chicago area, or in a range of Comcast Chicago, you can watch this game on your favorite tv screen without the crazy HDMI cords from your computer/laptop. I don't think it will be in HD, but at least you can watch the game on a better screen, and it won't be as grainy. Also, the announcers for this game with be Dave Wills and David Kaplan. For those who watched the Green Bay-Cleveland St. game, Kaplan was the color commentator for that game. He's worked many a Valpo game in the past. Dave Wills does radio for the Tampa Bay Rays during baseball season, and he's usually pretty decent. Just making you aware of who is calling the game, should any of us have issues with getting the WAKE radio stream to work properly. Let's Go Valpo!! We can overtake sole possession of 1st Place in the HL for a night at least with this win.

StlVUFan

I like Dave Wills (former White Sox on-air personality, if I'm not mistaken).

valpo95

If the Crusaders win today, they will be tied for first with either Cleveland State or Milwaukee at the end of the weekend  -- those two schools play each other.  Today also is the half way point of the conference season, and the Crusaders have 5 home and 4 road games for the remainder of the conference season.  So, let's hope they get it done today, and are set up for a successful second half of the season.

valporun

Quote from: vusupporter on January 20, 2012, 11:30:15 PM
Or you could have just looked at the Valpo website and seen that it was on Comcast Chicago right in the lead paragraph.

I did look there too, but I wanted to see if UIC posted who was announcing the game for them, so we didn't get the same kind of crap announcers that Loyola had on Thursday night.

bbtds

Kevin could have had a bunch more points. He must have missed 5 lay ups. That would have put Valpo with the victory margin of 12 to 15.

lowposter

Nice win.  It got a bit tight at the end, but the free throws pulled it out.  VHS's own Hayden Humes had a nice game for UIC with 11 points.  He transferred from UToledo last year...would have no doubt made contributions for the brown and gold.

lowposter