• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Tourney Pick'em

Started by valpo04, March 13, 2012, 11:11:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpo04

The Valpo Fan Zone tourney pick'em is here!

Feel free to sign up and compete against your fellow Crusader fans!

http://tournament.fantasysports.yahoo.com/t1/group/169645/invitation?key=41e2d5abe9404132

historyman

FYI, The ESPN Tournament Challenge already has 150+ Valpo fans signed up on the "Fans of Valparaiso" Group. You can always join both.

http://games.espn.go.com/tournament-challenge-bracket/en/group?groupID=318&entryID=1713220

Love those names. "Please Don't Hit Me Eli" and "Dunk my......,McCallum"

vuweathernerd

aww crap. forgot to register this year. SOAB

bbtds

Quote from: vuweathernerd on March 15, 2012, 05:05:48 PM

How about aww crap!!!!!!  Mizzou lost to Norfolk State and busted my brackets in a big way.

vuweathernerd

Quote from: bbtds on March 16, 2012, 06:03:26 PM

How about aww crap!!!!!!  Mizzou lost to Norfolk State and busted my brackets in a big way.

i'm a mizzou fan. that oughta speak for itself as to how i'm feeling right now.

valpo04

Quote from: vuweathernerd on March 16, 2012, 06:07:32 PM
Quote from: bbtds on March 16, 2012, 06:03:26 PM

i'm a mizzou fan. that oughta speak for itself as to how i'm feeling right now.

Busted my bracket in the biggest way possible... there goes my national champion!

historyman

First Missouri and now Michigan and Duke fall. What is this tournament coming to?

valpo04

Quote from: historyman on March 16, 2012, 08:38:58 PM
First Missouri and now Michigan and Duke fall. What is this tournament coming to?

One last 2/15 matchup tonight... can Detroit do it??

valporun

I lost an Elite Eight in Duke, and a Sweet 16 in Missouri. I'm still doing alright, but not feeling great, based on how some winning teams struggled to put the game away.

StlVUFan

Quote from: historyman on March 16, 2012, 08:38:58 PM

It's March Madness, Baby!  As You Go is the only way to go.

FWalum

Loving all the power 6 conference upsets yesterday.  As far as I am concerned I wish them all a swift exit except for maybe Purdue.  There is still way too much big conference bias in seeding and how the game is called. 
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

drewsaders11

I currently live in Columbia, where Mizzou is located.  Graduated last year, and have lived here since about June.  I'm not really impressed with the basketball fans in the city.  There was a buzz to some extent about the team (I mean, they were ranked as high as 3 if I'm not mistaken), but it seemed as if everyone was just content with the wins.  Most people were upset at the loss, but I haven't really noticed much anger like I would expect of Duke's fans when they lost, or UNC, IU, Kansas, or Kentucky fans had they loss in that scenario. 

I don't have a huge sample of people I come into contact here, but not as much into basketball as much as football.  I would imagine most schools would be like that, but if you have a top five team, you get into basketball, imo.

vuweathernerd

Quote from: drewsaders11 on March 19, 2012, 07:36:31 PM
I currently live in Columbia, where Mizzou is located.  Graduated last year, and have lived here since about June.  I'm not really impressed with the basketball fans in the city.  There was a buzz to some extent about the team (I mean, they were ranked as high as 3 if I'm not mistaken), but it seemed as if everyone was just content with the wins.  Most people were upset at the loss, but I haven't really noticed much anger like I would expect of Duke's fans when they lost, or UNC, IU, Kansas, or Kentucky fans had they loss in that scenario. 

I don't have a huge sample of people I come into contact here, but not as much into basketball as much as football.  I would imagine most schools would be like that, but if you have a top five team, you get into basketball, imo.

as a mizzou fan, i might be able to shed a little light on this one, especially the lack of anger at the loss. if you get the chance next season, i recommend getting tickets for a mizzou home game. especially if it's a good opponent. the environment is great. think about valpo at its max, and then add about 10,000 more fans, along with all the noise that they bring. mizzou arena really retains the sound well - it gets pretty loud. and it definitely provides protection. since opening for the 04-05 season, the tigers are 120-21 at home.

as for the loss, it's not like mizzou played a bad game, in most aspects. norfolk state simply played better. the second chance points killed the tigers - and its a stat that casual fans don't take the time to really think about. the fact is that the tigers shot well, but norfolk state shot even better. you have nights where the shots don't fall and you finish with 45 or 50 points. but then you also have nights where even the most insane and horrid shots fall, and you end up scoring 86 points. don't get me wrong - mizzou should have pummelled the hell out of norfolk state, and probably 98 or 99 times out of 100, they would. but just like the 1980 miracle game in the olympics, every so often, the lower team plays the better game, and gets the win.